Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

According to what I read, Morris Brown is seeking accreditation through TRACCS (Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools) which they hope to complete in October 2020. They state that if they get this accreditation students will be eligible for federal student aid. If they truely have over 2000 applicants a year, that would probably up their enrolement considerably. Getting back in the good graces of the HBCU financial aid process from the federal gov will help them imeasurably as they try to claw their way back from the grave.

Got so say that I'm rooting for them, provided they do it right! I like these counted out by everyone, never say die, rise from the grave stories.
    The 2,500 number came from the administration and it does seem a little inflated, however Morris Brown carried a very solid academic reputation in its heyday and it seems like their name still carries some weight. Based on everything I've read, they are on a good path to getting that TRACCS accreditation which would be huge. It would be an unprecedented turnaround, and it really shows what can happen when there are a few dedicated individuals.

I am definitely rooting for them as well. I think they can do it if they stay the course.

Comment

• So much at these small schools revolves around the quality of the President they hire. There seem to be quite a few College Presidents that are not just unqualified for the position, but down right criminal. Often the Board of Directors at these colleges refuse to see the error in their ways for hiring these hucksters and let them drive the colleges into financial ruin.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

IUPUI is pretty rough too, although I love the acronym.

But yeah, "University" twice followed up by "College" is not a good look.
        In fairness to IUPUI, the name is because of the schools that operated it when it was formed (which I think has now broken up). It was a combined campus of Indiana University and Purdue University at Indianapolis. From what I heard, and I could be wrong, there were issues with other names because of the University of Indianapolis. They both wanted credit for their system in the name so it became IUPUI. IPFW was in the same situation with dual owners, but in 2018 they split, which is why IPFW is now Purdue Fort Wayne. (The health sciences programs are now Indiana University Fort Wayne, with no athletic department). IUPUI is actually controlled by Indiana University now, but retains the PU part of the name. The school's facilities are actually very well known across the sports world with the swimming pool hosting multiple major international meets and the Olympic Trials for swimming and diving on multiple occasions. Additionally, the track facility used to host the US Nationals and Olympic Trials as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
          Disappointing that 17 of the 21 D1 sports listed are men's sports. There was a thread on another board about the ability of smaller schools to be able to avoid dropping sports; but it seems they should have been more concerned with the D1 schools as there has been more D1 schools than D2 schools dropping sports. The Central Michigan cuts makes them non-compliant with D1 requirements.

Minor notes on Urbana; men's volleyball should be listed with the D1 schools, women's water polo is a D1 sport but this team was not scheduled to begin competition until the Spring 2021 season, and acrobatics & tumbling is not a NCAA sport yet.

It's not all bad. Mississippi College announced on May 11 the addition of women's golf, set to begin in Fall 2020.
          CMU got a two year waiver for the NCAA minimum sports requirement. It will be interesting to see what sport they get to replace track and field. I, as someone involved with the sport in Michigan, will be pissed if they add something with minimum numbers like golf to meet the requirement, but I suspect that is what they will do. Track and Field at CMU had a very healthy roster, and had a lot of partial scholarship athletes, which means a lot of students paid their own way. One, maybe two athletes from my area were impacted as they are on the CMU roster. One ran cross country, while the other did not. Cross Country has not been cut by CMU.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Probably we'll see a lot more mergers than outright closings ala URBANA. A lot of the small campuses have a good deal of history and drawing power but due to administrative incompetence and/or malfeasance, are in a bind. As any one who follows me knows my #1 candidate for this is WU being changed with little difficulty into WVU-WHEELING which I feel could be very viable. Time will tell.
            Talking to someone who knows people involved with the Urbana situation, this may not be as COVID-19 as people think. Apparently the writing was on the wall starting last fall that the end of the Urbana campus was near. COVID-19 may have accelerated the decision, but I don't think they would have lasted 3 more years from what I've heard.

Comment

• Originally posted by chapmaja View Post

Talking to someone who knows people involved with the Urbana situation, this may not be as COVID-19 as people think. Apparently the writing was on the wall starting last fall that the end of the Urbana campus was near. COVID-19 may have accelerated the decision, but I don't think they would have lasted 3 more years from what I've heard.
              Straw that broke the camel's back.

Comment

In fairness to IUPUI, the name is because of the schools that operated it when it was formed (which I think has now broken up). It was a combined campus of Indiana University and Purdue University at Indianapolis. From what I heard, and I could be wrong, there were issues with other names because of the University of Indianapolis. They both wanted credit for their system in the name so it became IUPUI. IPFW was in the same situation with dual owners, but in 2018 they split, which is why IPFW is now Purdue Fort Wayne. (The health sciences programs are now Indiana University Fort Wayne, with no athletic department). IUPUI is actually controlled by Indiana University now, but retains the PU part of the name. The school's facilities are actually very well known across the sports world with the swimming pool hosting multiple major international meets and the Olympic Trials for swimming and diving on multiple occasions. Additionally, the track facility used to host the US Nationals and Olympic Trials as well.
                I knew the two colleges operated the campus together, but I didn't realize the relationship had ceased. The name is a bit rough whatever the reason. "Indiana-Purdue University" (IPU) sounds a bit better, for example. In Minnesota we have "Metro State University" which is also a terrible name and acronym, but nobody knows the school exists so we just kinda roll with it.

Comment

I knew the two colleges operated the campus together, but I didn't realize the relationship had ceased. The name is a bit rough whatever the reason. "Indiana-Purdue University" (IPU) sounds a bit better, for example. In Minnesota we have "Metro State University" which is also a terrible name and acronym, but nobody knows the school exists so we just kinda roll with it.
                  Exactly. I would confuse it with Minneapolis Technical and Community College. Originally it was for college juniors and seniors- kind of a reverse junior college. No, you never hear about it!

Comment

That's the case for most of the schools we're seeing close in the short-term. They were on their way out already, but the pandemic is speeding things up. Hopefully those are the only schools that close, we'll have a real problem once schools that would have been fine otherwise are starting to close. I doubt we'll get to that point.

Honestly, I'm not seeing nearly as many closures as I would have expected. I wasn't expecting an apocalyptic-type scenario, but I was thinking more schools were going to drop - hence the thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

Exactly. I would confuse it with Minneapolis Technical and Community College. Originally it was for college juniors and seniors- kind of a reverse junior college. No, you never hear about it!
                      I heard a rumor that MCTC is going to change their name to Minneapolis College, perhaps? I'm not sure.

Anyway, Metro State is a very interesting school, IMO. They did begin as a "senior college" with no campus or traditional college instructors. Upper level courses were offered to working adults at night at locations rented by the school throughout the city. As I understand it, they were taught by local industry experts (management-level type people) and not by college professors. Credit was often awarded for accomplishments outside the classroom and often substituted traditional letter grades for written evaluations.

Now they have an impressive library system, and a beautiful main campus in downtown St. Paul. Even though they are now a traditional university, they still maintain their goal of educating working adults. The problem is their name is generic, and they have no way to brand themselves - so we often don't hear about them.

Interestingly enough, they can claim Carl Eller as an alumni.

Comment

That would make the most sense.

ASU changed the names of other schools that merged into the system, but they aren't under any obligation to do so if they don't want too. I was just operating under the assumption that they would.

The others were all community colleges with little branding and name recognition. Henderson is older than ark state . And a little out of their footprint. Get too big and big u of a will get nosy.

This move if consolidating the mud level state schoolshas been a long time coming in Arkansas. Henderson has been bleeding funds and losing students for over a decade . It's the best move they can do and avoid becoming u of a arkadelphia. And the don't want that

Comment

• Johnson & Wales in both North Miami and Denver are closing. They were NAIA, but Denver wanted to go D3.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/john...orida-colorado

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                            Johnson & Wales in both North Miami and Denver are closing. They were NAIA, but Denver wanted to go D3.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/john...orida-colorado
                            Added to the list. Counting these as separate locations, we're up to 6 based on my criteria.

They sill maintain their main campus in Rhode Island (D3) and one in Charlotte (USCAA). It actually looks like a halfway decent school with some beautiful buildings. The only alumni I'm familiar with is Maria Kanellis

Comment

• I'm not going to add this one to the list since they announced last year, but Mercyhurst-North East has been forced to close sooner than originally anticipated because of the pandemic.

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/42...ion-ceremonies

Comment

• Concordia Law School in Boise will now close after a deal fell through with Concordia-St. Paul to keep it open.

https://www.asumag.com/facilities-ma...aho-will-close

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X