Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 Wesley will be keeping sports for at least one more year as the deal with Delaware State gets worked out.

https://d3sports.com/notables/2020/0...finds-out-fate

Comment

• Some interesting news regarding the closure of Marlboro College:

https://vtdigger.org/2020/07/09/ques...-in-11th-hour/

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
        Some interesting news regarding the closure of Marlboro College:

Comment

• For those who don't track the PSAC board, PASSHE is expected to announce mergers very shortly, if they haven't already. Here's a link to the livestream that's happening where the announcement is supposed to come from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbqe...ature=youtu.be

Comment

• Big East cancels fall non-conference matchups
            https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/1...le-coronavirus

Comment

• AAC to require testing 72 hours before all games

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...football-games

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                AAC to require testing 72 hours before all games

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...football-games
                Good luck with that. Not sure how a test 3 days earlier matters. Not to mention how quickly one can get the results. Their rules, so I guess if want to play, you have to follow them. Not sure how this helps much of anything though.

Comment

• A few updates since the last post in this thread:

Martin Methodist College, Pulaski, TN:

-This one is a bit different. MMC is in the process of merging into the UT system. What's curious though, is that this doesn't appear to be a lifeline for MMC as far as I can tell. Rather, they offered themselves for the merger. I can't find any indication that the school was on life support due to financial or enrollment reasons and did this for survival, though I didn't dig that deep into it. UT wants to plug a geographical hole right where MMC sits, and it's believed the merger would help retain in-state students while lowering tuition and costs. MMC is a member of NAIA and won the women's soccer championship twice.

Pacific Northwest College of Art, Portland, OR:

-Will merge with Willamette University in Salem

Concordia College (NY), Bronxville, NY:

-NCAA DII member Concordia College (NY) will close following the 2021 Fall Semester. Iona College has purchased the campus and will "teach-out" the remaining students. It's believed Iona will upgrade campus buildings and use them to house their science programs, but no official plans have been released. This is the fourth Concordia University system to close (or merge) since 2013. This will leave 6 schools and 1 satellite campus remaining.

Also, the federal government has opened an investigation into the ACICS accrediting group and it's expected that they will lose their recognition. This would put some 75 for-profit campuses under threat of closure.

Comment

• An update on a previous discussion in this thread - Morris Brown College appears to have come roaring back.

-Up for accreditation in April (first time since 2003)
                    -Hosted a "wall-breaking" ceremony for their eSports program in late February
                    -MBC will be included in the NBA All-Star Game celebrations (appears as though they may have donated money to MBC as well).
                    -MBC reached a $30 million dollar agreement to allow Hilton to build a luxury hotel on campus as part of a new hospitality management program at MBC.

Most of this all happening within the last few weeks. I'm really pulling for this school.

Given they went 18 years with no accreditation - this is an amazing turnaround and really speaks volumes about the power of grassroots efforts. There is no way this school should still be in operation, yet it is... Kinda cool.
                    Last edited by SW_Mustang; 03-03-2021, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• Judson College (AL) (not to be confused with Judson University) announced last week that they will begin an agressive, $5 million dollar fundraising plan to save the college. They are an all women's school in Marion, Alabama. Their athletic teams compete in the USCAA.

They had a successful campaign to keep the school open this spring semester, raising $500,000 dollars. It's estimated they will need $40 million to "turn things around."

Comment

• Becker College (MA) is expected to cease operations soon. They were founded in Leicester, MA as "Leicester Academy" in 1784 - making them the second oldest college in MA according to Wikipedia, behind Harvard. They also operate a campus in Worchester, MA. Becker claims Eli Whitney as an alumni, and competes in the NCAA DIII

Becker College on the Brink of Closure (insidehighered.com)

Comment

• NVU has been mentioned in the thread before, but now there are talks to merge them with Castleton University and Vermont Technical College. This could mean that one school would be operating four college athletics programs. That would be interesting.

Vermont State Colleges Board Advances Merger Plan (insidehighered.com)

Comment

• I'm going through a lot of the news from the past year - I usually get this information from a Facebook group, but I haven't picked up anything from them in a while. I hope y'all don't mind the update dump.

I recall this being kicked around for a while, but this article isn't even a month old yet. Either I'm misremembering, or it's gaining traction. D1 St. Joseph's and DII USciences considering a merger.

Private Universities in Philadelphia Consider Merger (insidehighered.com)

Comment

• An update on the ACICS - it's expected that the government will re-revoke their recognition after a federal advisory board votes to recommend the measure:

Controversial accreditor ACICS's federal recognition likely to be revoked again (insidehighered.com)

They would be able to continue operating without federal recognition, but it would be very hard to do so. They accredit some 75 campuses, all would be in immediate danger of closing without some sort of plan B.

Curiously, one of the schools they accredit - Lincoln University (CA), is "trying" to become a member of D2.

Comment

• Mills College in Oakland just announced that they will stop admitting students. They currently do not have plans to close, however they will no longer operate as a four-year institution beginning in 2023. This will allow the school two years to teach out some of the students.

I'm guessing this is the end for their NCAA DIII athletics program.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X