Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police presents at upcoming D2 Football Games?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
    Defund the Grammar Police!
    When Spelling Primers and Grammarly are outlawed, only outlaws will have Spelling Primers and Grammarly.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
      A couple of things in particular could really negatively effect college football and basketball this year.

1. COVID-19 (especially if we see an uptick in cases)

2. Cities and towns with colleges that try and quickly jump on board in defunding their police to the point that there's not enough on-duty or off-duty officers to maintain civil peace and security at games. The ramifications could be huge and other options would not be nearly effective or simply wouldn't work. Based on past problems and fights, in a lot of high school games in NC with (with police security) you have to go through medal detectors just to get through the gates or doors.
      I leave my medals at home when I go to games. First, it is tacky, and second, I don't want to set off a detector because of my greatness.

Comment

On more serious note, I believe we need to take a long, hard look at how we currently police our communities. As well, crime rates tend to be significantly higher in areas that have limited economic opportunity. Maybe funding and work to correct that might lessen the need for additional police funding.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
          I know, right? Can't we all just get along?

The "they" may very well be MPD150 . Their mission is pretty clear: working towards a police free Minneapolis

Meanwhile....
          THE DEMANDS OF THE COLLECTIVE BLACK VOICES AT FREE CAPITOL HILL TO THE GOVERNMENT OF SEATTLE, WASHINGTON

No, it's about allocating resources to where they are best used. Calling an LEO to handle a mental health issue is like calling a plumber to tackle a building fire. It has nothing to do with just "getting along."

I've lived in Minnesota my entire life and this is the first time I've heard of "MPD150." Seems like they are a fringe group. It's probably a good thing they aren't going to get their way - although it seems like the media is succeeding in making people afraid that they are.

Seattle is a different beast entirely. I've only been there once, so I can't really tell you what's going on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
            On more serious note, I believe we need to take a long, hard look at how we currently police our communities. As well, crime rates tend to be significantly higher in areas that have limited economic opportunity. Maybe funding and work to correct that might lessen the need for additional police funding.
            Well said.

The job of the police isn't to reduce the crimes being committed, it's to catch the "bad guys" after the crime has been committed. Finding ways to reduce the crime rate is a better long term solution for everyone. There's no perfect fix, obviously - there will always be some crime, but there are better ways to handle it than what we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

No, it's about allocating resources to where they are best used. Calling an LEO to handle a mental health issue is like calling a plumber to tackle a building fire. It has nothing to do with just "getting along."

I've lived in Minnesota my entire life and this is the first time I've heard of "MPD150." Seems like they are a fringe group. It's probably a good thing they aren't going to get their way - although it seems like the media is succeeding in making people afraid that they are.

Seattle is a different beast entirely. I've only been there once, so I can't really tell you what's going on there.
              I'm happy that I helped you learn something about your home state. MPD150 has been around since 2016. But you've heard of Minneapolis City Council. Many of its members, including the president, share the "dismantle the Minneapolis Police Department" desire/intention.

Comment

Well said.

The job of the police isn't to reduce the crimes being committed, it's to catch the "bad guys" after the crime has been committed. Finding ways to reduce the crime rate is a better long term solution for everyone. There's no perfect fix, obviously - there will always be some crime, but there are better ways to handle it than what we have now.
                There are studies that say more police "presence" reduces crime. Most people don't commit crimes in front of the police. I know I reduce my speed when I see a cop on the side of the road. People also don't steal in front known store security cameras. Fewer guns equal less shootings. More police presence equals less violent crime.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                  Defund the Grammar Police!
                  fugeteaboutit !

** You're always going to need some type of security. There are just too many unstable or drunks at a game. VSU always has securty
                  at games. Ironically , I sit on visitors side for better seating; I always see 2 Valdosta police at exits.

btw, after reading this, I am not sure there will be college football this year.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN23R003

Last edited by Wide_Right; 06-20-2020, 02:09 PM.
                  <>

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

There are studies that say more police "presence" reduces crime. Most people don't commit crimes in front of the police. I know I reduce my speed when I see a cop on the side of the road. People also don't steal in front known store security cameras. Fewer guns equal less shootings. More police presence equals less violent crime.
                    I wasn't talking about violent crime. We need police for that. They shouldn't be the ones responsible for mental health issues.

In your speeding example, you are still committing the offense - you're just letting up on the gas so as to not get a citation.

Comment

I'm happy that I helped you learn something about your home state. MPD150 has been around since 2016. But you've heard of Minneapolis City Council. Many of its members, including the president, share the "dismantle the Minneapolis Police Department" desire/intention.
                      I'll never hear of them again so it won't really matter. These fringe groups don't hold as much power as you think they do.

The Minneapolis City Council is a better example. Yes, I've heard of them. Have you heard of the ultra-liberal mayor Jacob Frey? He doesn't want to disband the police department. I doubt the governor does either. There are also very, very powerful unions involved. Checks and balances and such.

Comment

I wasn't talking about violent crime. We need police for that. They shouldn't be the ones responsible for mental health issues.

In your speeding example, you are still committing the offense - you're just letting up on the gas so as to not get a citation.
                        The police aren't responsible for mental health issues. They are responsible for bringing the person in for a mental health evaluation and possible commitment. If you want mental health professionals to approach unstable individuals in the community, they are going to bring the police with them anyway. Children and Youth bring police when they are taking away children from abusive parents. Crisis workers bring police when they are trying to involuntarily commit a suicidal/homicidal person to a psychiatric unit. The police will always be needed as backup.

Good point on the speed traps, but at least their presence curbs my behavior.

Comment

The police aren't responsible for mental health issues. They are responsible for bringing the person in for a mental health evaluation and possible commitment. If you want mental health professionals to approach unstable individuals in the community, they are going to bring the police with them anyway. Children and Youth bring police when they are taking away children from abusive parents. Crisis workers bring police when they are trying to involuntarily commit a suicidal/homicidal person to a psychiatric unit. The police will always be needed as backup.

Good point on the speed traps, but at least their presence curbs my behavior.
                          I grew up in a high(ish) crime area. Having the police around maybe deterred some crime, but anyone intent on committing a crime would find another way to do it. There was a rash of car thefts not too long ago, it doesn't sound like that ever got resolved. We had an excellent SRO at school. If anyone had business that needed to be taken care of, it was usually done on the opposite end of the school or outside. I felt safer having her there, but stuff still happened. I'm certainly not saying we don't need police, we do, but this idea that they solve everything is a little outdated IMO.

Anyway, working in tandem is probably ideal. Having an officer or two for security purposes in case things get out of hand isn't a bad idea. I've seen a few too many situations where using force on an unstable person just escalates the threat to the public. Having a trained professional on hand who knows how to handle an unstable person and an LEO who can assist if things get rough is probably the best option.

Comment

Comment

Defunding the police means no more military equipment, not taking police off the streets. Police departments have received or purchased 7.2 billion dollars worth of military equipment over the past of couple of decades. Reports indicated between January and March this year police departments received 30 mine resistant vehicles worth about $700,000 each and even pouches to carry grenades, according to Pentagon disclosures on the property transfer program
                              Relevant portion starts at 1:49:30 DNC LGBTQ Caucus Meeting "We're talking about abolishing the police. We're talking about abolishing ICE. We're talking about abolishing prisons."

Comment

Relevant portion starts at 1:49:30 DNC LGBTQ Caucus Meeting "We're talking about abolishing the police. We're talking about abolishing ICE. We're talking about abolishing prisons."
                                Sounds like a single radical with no decision making ability.

Not something I'm going to lose sleep over, but youbdo you I guess.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X