Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL Team Mascots Changes?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NFL Team Mascots Changes?

    More changes to the NFL?

    This was on another thread, but it's worth thing about. If PETA pushes through a petition requiring the NFL to remove all animals, fish, birds, mammals as team mascots, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell agrees based on the fact that some people are possibly offended that animals are associated in any way with what they perceive as a violent sport, what new mascot / logo would you like to see your favorite team embrace? Would the NBA also adopt the idea (they would be impacted much less)?

    Also, If the NFL decides to make these changes, will the NCAA also possibly adopt the same policies?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
    More changes to the NFL?

    This was on another thread, but it's worth thing about. If PETA pushes through a petition requiring the NFL to remove all animals, fish, birds, mammals as team mascots, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell agrees based on the fact that some people are possibly offended that animals are associated in any way with what they perceive as a violent sport, what new mascot / logo would you like to see your favorite team embrace? Would the NBA also adopt the idea (they would be impacted much less)?

    Also, If the NFL decides to make these changes, will the NCAA also possibly adopt the same policies?
    Does Goodell think that those people even watch the NFL or buy their products? What Chicago fan is offended that they are named the Bears? Change the name to the Bares? The Detroit Lyings? The LA Grams? Tell PETA to go away. They don't even like football- it is made from cowskins.

    The NBA can start using Chinese names. Just not Hong Kong, Xianjiang, Tibet or Uighurs.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by laker View Post

      Does Goodell think that those people even watch the NFL or buy their products? What Chicago fan is offended that they are named the Bears? Change the name to the Bares? The Detroit Lyings? The LA Grams? Tell PETA to go away. They don't even like football- it is made from cowskins.

      The NBA can start using Chinese names. Just not Hong Kong, Xianjiang, Tibet or Uighurs.
      Remember when footballs were made of pig bladders? The football was called a pigskin.

      Comment


      • #4
        Oh no, STEELY MCBEAM'S days may be numbered !!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bart View Post

          Remember when footballs were made of pig bladders? The football was called a pigskin.
          Yep. I wonder when they switched over. This doesn't give a year.

          https://www.biggameusa.com/blog/abou...l-history.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by laker View Post

            Yep. I wonder when they switched over. This doesn't give a year.

            https://www.biggameusa.com/blog/abou...l-history.html
            "One of the biggest issues with pig bladder was that each ball varied by shape and size, especially when stuffed. That’s why by the late 1800s, when American Football started taking shape, the balls were made of rubber and cowhides (aka leather)."

            https://aghires.com/footballs-were-n...e-of-pig-skin/

            Comment


            • #7
              In preparations of the potential mandate, I'm submitting the non-offensive 'Fireflies' or 'Shine' as a replacement for my beloved Eagles. Both relate well with the area;)

              Comment


              • #8
                Fireflies is a living thing so that can't be used. Shine could also be offensive as it is a word in the english language which means it's now offensive.
                * 2019 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *

                * 2017 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP *

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by West Florida View Post
                  Fireflies is a living thing so that can't be used. Shine could also be offensive as it is a word in the english language which means it's now offensive.
                  I guess we are going to have to take a look at weather conditions or peaceful emotions names then.

                  Any word on the NFL's officials uniforms being changed this coming season?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The Minnesota Garbage Dump would be what I'd like to replace the Vikings moniker.

                    Accurately describes both the franchise and about 60% of this state they inhabit.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                      More changes to the NFL?

                      This was on another thread, but it's worth thing about. If PETA pushes through a petition requiring the NFL to remove all animals, fish, birds, mammals as team mascots, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell agrees based on the fact that some people are possibly offended that animals are associated in any way with what they perceive as a violent sport, what new mascot / logo would you like to see your favorite team embrace? Would the NBA also adopt the idea (they would be impacted much less)?

                      Also, If the NFL decides to make these changes, will the NCAA also possibly adopt the same policies?
                      These are all IFs (not something that's actually happened) , and PETA is still on the fringe for the average person and sports fan, so I don't see this happening. Even if they would request it, the NFL and its owners would say no, and most fans would agree with the owners and say no. They will have enough to do right now with the move to review any racial team names or activities.



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mandan View Post

                        These are all IFs (not something that's actually happened) , and PETA is still on the fringe for the average person and sports fan, so I don't see this happening. Even if they would request it, the NFL and its owners would say no, and most fans would agree with the owners and say no. They will have enough to do right now with the move to review any racial team names or activities.


                        Don't be so sure this isn't in the cards. PETA has it's sights set on the NFL, and I'm sure the NCAA would be next.

                        To come across as not being sincere about PETA's stance, Roger Goodell may agree to name changes, or a huge annual donation to the organization to appease for the right of usage (higher ticket prices). Either way, PETA is not going to back away from their view$.

                        https://dailycaller.com/2020/01/31/p...in-kaepernick/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

                          Don't be so sure this isn't in the cards. PETA has it's sights set on the NFL, and I'm sure the NCAA would be next.

                          To come across as not being sincere about PETA's stance, Roger Goodell may agree to name changes, or a huge annual donation to the organization to appease for the right of usage (higher ticket prices). Either way, PETA is not going to back away from their view$.

                          https://dailycaller.com/2020/01/31/p...in-kaepernick/
                          Well as long as there's no group standing up for ROMAN GODS my VULCANS should be OK.....for now.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

                            Well as long as there's no group standing up for ROMAN GODS my VULCANS should be OK.....for now.
                            Live long and prosper.........

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Of all times to have your mascot be of Greek mythology this is the year! Argonauts are 2020 proof!
                              * 2019 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *

                              * 2017 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP *

                              Comment

                              Ad3

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X