Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has the best stadium in all of D2

Who has the best stadium in all of D2 currently? This can be a combination of amenities, fan atmosphere, tradition, hardest place to play, etc. Let's keep this to the stadium itself, you may have a good tailgate, but doesn't correlate to anything to do with the stadium.

Re: Who has the best stadium in all of D2

Pitt State

Comment

I would say GVSU, Pitt State, Northern Michigan, West Texas A&M are all up there. GVSU and Pitt are both great in their own ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post
        Northern Michigan
        Unique and nice to be inside in November above the 45th parallel, but lack of crowd, cavernous echo sound, rolled up field turf that has bumps in it, no way.
        Ashland is the second best stadium in the GLIAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post
          I would say GVSU, Pitt State, Northern Michigan, West Texas A&M are all up there. GVSU and Pitt are both great in their own ways.

Comment

I agree it's nice, but it's not currently built 100%.

Comment

UWG's could be top notch.

The environment is similar to that of a funeral, though.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfBreed View Post
                UWG's could be top notch.

The environment is similar to that of a funeral, though.

Comment

Comment

Carnie Smith Stadium at Pitt State is an amazing venue for D2.

Comment

My top 5 would be

1. Pitt State
                      2. NW Missouri State
                      3. Central Missouri State
                      4. Grand Valley
                      5. Minnesota-Duluth

Comment

Originally posted by OhioD2 View Post
                        Unique and nice to be inside in November above the 45th parallel, but lack of crowd, cavernous echo sound, rolled up field turf that has bumps in it, no way.
                        Ashland is the second best stadium in the GLIAC.
                        Yeah, If they had a way to bring in and out the field on pallets instead of rolling it up it might be a nicer place to play, but not really a great venue. Only plus it has is its roof.

Comment

I would say as for D2 small school, MEC West Liberty is great place to take in a game, not a bad seat in the house, and great place to tailgate.

Comment

I've only been to three D2 stadiums in person. Bulldog Stadium (Bowie State), Bowman-Gray Stadium (Winston-Salem State) and Biemesderfer Stadium (Millersville).

I've only been to WSSU and Millersville's stadium once in the early 2000's, but remember being more impressed with WSSU's stadium. Biggest downside to Bowman-Gray Stadium is the auto racetrack around the field, so you're sitting pretty far back from the action. The actual stadium itself seemed pretty good at the time. Millersville's stadium was pretty much a generic dual stands with a running track around the field, but they appeared to keep it well maintained. I was a teenager at that time attending games with my parents so I don't remember what the parking situation for either was like. Well more so I wasn't paying attention lol.

I'm most familiar with Bulldog Stadium at Bowie State. The best thing about it to me is that there is no track around the field so you sit close to the action on the field. Within the last 10 years or so Bulldog Stadium has had many renovations adding turf, lights and an on field locker room for both teams. Bulldog Stadium doesn't have the biggest capacity mainly due to the school being in Maryland while playing in a conference with the majority of it's teams being in North Carolina. In addition to that Bowie State has no true arch rival that would draw a big crowd. For homecoming games Bowie usually adds temp bleachers to the visiting team side of the field to accommodate the larger the normal crowd.

Parking may be the biggest downside to Bulldog Stadium. There's a decent sized visitors parking lot not too far walking distance from the field, but it's not free. Depending on the game, parking on campus for a Bowie game can cost anywhere between $10 to $20. Homecoming games usually cost more. Bowie hosted first round playoff games the last two years, but I took public transportation and Uber to each so I don't know how much Bowie was charging to park for the playoffs.

As far as D2 stadiums I've only seen in photos or videos, I've always been visually impressed by Grand Valley State's home stadium. Unfortunately I don't like travelling, so I doubt I'll ever be in Michigan to catch a Lakers game lol

EDIT: Now that I've had some time to think back about this post, I was a little off regarding when I went to Millersville. It was the 1999 season that I went to Biemesderfer Stadium, not in the 2000's. And I went to Bowman-Gray for the 2002 CIAA Championship Game.
                            Last edited by 4_tattoos; 05-01-2019, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
                              I've only been to three D2 stadiums in person. Bulldog Stadium (Bowie State), Bowman-Gray Stadium (Winston-Salem State) and Biemesderfer Stadium (Millersville).

I've only been to WSSU and Millersville's stadium once in the early 2000's, but remember being more impressed with WSSU's stadium. Biggest downside to Bowman-Gray Stadium is the auto racetrack around the field, so you're sitting pretty far back from the action. The actual stadium itself seemed pretty good at the time. Millersville's stadium was pretty much a generic dual stands with a running track around the field, but they appeared to keep it well maintained. I was a teenager at that time attending games with my parents so I don't remember what the parking situation for either was like. Well more so I wasn't paying attention lol.

I'm most familiar with Bulldog Stadium at Bowie State. The best thing about it to me is that there is no track around the field so you sit close to the action on the field. Within the last 10 years or so Bulldog Stadium has had many renovations adding turf, lights and an on field locker room for both teams. Bulldog Stadium doesn't have the biggest capacity mainly due to the school being in Maryland while playing in a conference with the majority of it's teams being in North Carolina. In addition to that Bowie State has no true arch rival that would draw a big crowd. For homecoming games Bowie usually adds temp bleachers to the visiting team side of the field to accommodate the larger the normal crowd.

Parking may be the biggest downside to Bulldog Stadium. There's a decent sized visitors parking lot not too far walking distance from the field, but it's not free. Depending on the game, parking on campus for a Bowie game can cost anywhere between $10 to $20. Homecoming games usually cost more. Bowie hosted first round playoff games the last two years, but I took public transportation and Uber to each so I don't know how much Bowie was charging to park for the playoffs.

As far as D2 stadiums I've only seen in photos or videos, I've always been visually impressed by Grand Valley State's home stadium. Unfortunately I don't like travelling, so I doubt I'll ever be in Michigan to catch a Lakers game lol
                              One comment and one question:

1) IMO, Bowie State should be trying hard to schedule non-conference games against some of the PSAC East schools, particularly Shepherd (weird to say Shepherd is a PSAC school) and West Chester. Those schools are relatively close to Bowie State and would provide good competition for the Bulldogs (and Bowie State would be a good non-conference opponent for those schools too).

2) Can you park for free at the MARC station for Bowie State games?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X