Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditions

Saw this on Twitter- College football traditions. Now I could comment on a lot of these pro and con but it is FBS stuff and not my intention to do so, just to use as an example. Anyway- does your school have a tradition that you think is cool? It can be a copy of what another school does- nothing wrong with that.

MSU-Mankato- the Victory Bell, which was missing for quite some time, showed up back around 2003 or so, just about in time for a winless season. But since then much more often than not, Mav players and fans (and even a certain StateU fan from St Cloud who will remain nameless to protect the guilty, rang the bell after a win. I've even gone there myself to get in on the action. They have also added a Mav walk where the band goes through the parking lot before the game, then the players come through.

Comment

Years ago Mankato had a marching band. Then budget cuts destroyed it. Very embarrassing to have the UND and UNO bands show up at our stadium and we didn't have one. First, it started with a drum line. People loved it and the president restored the full band. I talked to a guy at SDSU who said each member of the band brought three people to the game on average. Really a great addition to the game day experience. Yes, I have made donations for their road trips.

Comment

San Jose State University where I went to college has Krazy George (also an alum of SJSU), the guy who invented "the wave". He has made quite a career of professional cheerleading. He's done his thing for money in the pro and minor leagues here in the USA and for corporate functions. He can't make it to every SJSU game because of his schedule, but he's always there for Homecoming. He'll be 77 years old next month and still has a lot of energy. In 2011 he banged his drum really loud right next to my ear and it hurt bad for 3 days. He should've been more considerate. But people that haven't been injured by him seem to still like his act.

??????
        Last edited by crixus; 04-21-2021, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Our biggest and oldest tradition is losing to Minnesota State every year.

It must be a big deal, given how protective we are of it.

Other than that, we have the Ag Bowl - which I never really understood and/or cared about. We also have the team follow a horse in during the entrances. The rider wears a jersey. That's kinda cool.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
            Other than that, we have the Ag Bowl - which I never really understood and/or cared about. We also have the team follow a horse in during the entrances. The rider wears a jersey. That's kinda cool.
            Riding the horse is cool. I like the two Mustang statues in the "southwest" part of the stadium!

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Riding the horse is cool. I like the two Mustang statues in the "southwest" part of the stadium!
              Same! It's a really nice touch - both of them are. It would be cool if they incorporated the statues like the victory bell.

I also like how they let the grass grow around the statues for the prairie effect. It's a cool design choice.

Comment

Best tradition ever: Live Buffalo leads the team onto the field.
                The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Comment

Arkansas should definitely be higher up on the list with the Hog Call. As far as historical traditions Colorado probably tops the list.

Comment

I'm not much of a D1 fan but I would love to see the pre-games at Colorado, Florida State, South Carolina, and Virginia Tech. It's disappointing that any Cadet March didn't make the list, I've seen it at Air Force.

Arkansas Tech has a version of Running Through the T. We used to have a helmet-cart that would circle the track when the team ran onto the field and after a touchdown.

The Hog Call should be at the top of the Most Annoying list. They'll do that thing for any celebrity from Arkansas, it doesn't matter that the person didn't even go to school at UA.

Comment

Our favorite tradition at DSU has got to be pig pickin'. It used to always be the first home football game of the year, but after people realized that the weather was miserable, they bumped it back to September. Who doesn't love a good BBQ cooking competition? We usually get a larger crowd for Pig Pickin' than Homecoming.
                        According to the GSC posters... they would say our announcer would go on the "bad" side of traditions... But I think he's awesome!

Comment

For Minnesota State University Moorhead, the main tradition is the "Burning of the M" for Homecoming. The event is held usually the Thursday or Friday before the Homecoming game. It began after 1930 when a fire on campus burned down the main building. Following the fire, the Dragon name was established and a wooden M from the sign was found and burned as a symbol of continuing unity and pride.

For the team itself, the Dragons have a "Legacy Box," which has an item from each senior at MSUM. They take the box with to each game.

Also not a tradition because it's just starting, but a new drumline has been established at MSUM which will play at home games for the Dragons. This comes after a pep band was created a few years ago for the basketball team's home games.

Another thing that's really important to Dragon football is the rivalry with Bemidji State. Every year they play for the Axe trophy, a tradition that's been in place since the 1930s.

Comment

Aggie Bonfire also has to be one of the best traditions as well.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X