Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 775 schools with football this fall

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    I believe they already have this year. They have also eliminated wedge on kickoffs.
    I wasn't aware of the changes at the college level. That is a great change.

We had one last year in a game that the player was rendered unconscious. What made it worse was after the hit, the offending player stood over the kid, grabbed his crotch, and woofed at the unconscious player. He received a PF for the hit, an UC for the taunt, and was ejected. The coach went crazy and said "that is my best player!"

Comment

I can speak to the state of the game at the youth level...I coach little kid football as a volunteer...in a USA Football League...USA Football is playing catch up with sports like Soccer and Hockey and Basketball...they have a relatively new initiative called Rookie Tackle, as a bridge game between flag and full 11v11 football...they play on a smaller field, with fewer players...this season the team I am coaching is 8, and we are playing 8v8 football. The Training available to youth coaches has grown substantially since I started coaching over a decade ago. To me, the untrained coach is the biggest threat to the sport...if the kid has a bad experience, he is likely done playing the game forever...and I believe USA Football is doing a lot to make resources available to the youth coach, to try and mitigate the bad experiences...

I am in Texas, and Football is still king, that said...we are still seeing shrinking numbers, we have lots of competition for players...Soccer, Lacrosse and Baseball and even Flag Football all steal players from us...the concussion scare that started a few years back contributed to that...but USA Football is looking at ways to grow the sport...they want kids playing football, even if it is only flag football...they believe (as do I) that if they can get the kids into High School, playing some sort of Football, then the game will continue to thrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
        I wasn't aware of the changes at the college level. That is a great change.

We had one last year in a game that the player was rendered unconscious. What made it worse was after the hit, the offending player stood over the kid, grabbed his crotch, and woofed at the unconscious player. He received a PF for the hit, an UC for the taunt, and was ejected. The coach went crazy and said "that is my best player!"
        That is sickening. And for his coach to complain might be even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          775 schools will sponsor football this fall. More will be adding in the coming years.

Someday I want to visit that wall with all of the football helmets. The Vikings stadium has a wall with all of the Minnesota HS teams helmets.

https://footballfoundation.org/news/...-football.aspx
          Let me know when you make it down for the Hall of Fame, the wall is a really cool site.
          Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Comment

Does anyone know the breakdown by level?

FBS?
            FCS?
            D2?
            D3?
            NAIA?
            JUCO?

Am I forgetting any levels?

Comment

Originally posted by sportsvine View Post
              Does anyone know the breakdown by level? Am I forgetting any levels?
              For 2019:

FBS? 130
              FCS? 126
              D2? 168
              D3? 250 (2018)
              NAIA? 96
              JUCO? 57 in non-California states, 68 in California

Non NCAA/NAIA/JC- unaffliated- 4 that I could find.

Lewis-Clark Valley, Lewiston, ID
              Trinity Bible College of Ellendale, ND.
              The Apprentice School of Newport News VA,
              Virginia-Lynchburg

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X