Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just looking at the 2015 playoff bracket and it looks like Newberry got in with a 7-4 record. Three loss teams seem to be relatively common but I'm guessing 4 loss teams are probably few and far between.

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
      I was just looking at the 2015 playoff bracket and it looks like Newberry got in with a 7-4 record. Three loss teams seem to be relatively common but I'm guessing 4 loss teams are probably few and far between.
      SR2 was undersized for a while, which inevitably led to playoff teams with more losses.

Comment

One of Newberry's losses was to FCS Jacksonville which is essentially invisible to the D2 selection process. This is similar to Lindenwood in 2019 which had a loss to FCS Eastern Washington. So they were 8-3, but only 8-2 in D2's eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

One of Newberry's losses was to FCS Jacksonville which is essentially invisible to the D2 selection process. This is similar to Lindenwood in 2019 which had a loss to FCS Eastern Washington. So they were 8-3, but only 8-2 in D2's eyes.
          In 2015 they finished 7-5 so they only had 3 D2 regular season losses, I should have actually looked at their website before relying on Wikipedia.....

Comment

In 2015 they finished 7-5 so they only had 3 D2 regular season losses, I should have actually looked at their website before relying on Wikipedia.....
            Hey don't sweat it, this is a forum not a final exam. Btw, your 2017 observation is intriguing, I wonder if the fact that those losses were in and amongst each other (top tier GSC teams). By that I mean if VSU had managed to win one more of those games, they would have had 3 losses but the loss to I believe ASU would have kept us out and a 2 loss SAC team would have been given that slot.

I'm glad you pointed that exception out though because unlike earlier instances that playoff took place since the last NCAA D2 playoff tweak.

Comment

Second go round of musical chairs in SR1. Presuming 2 losses puts a team very much on the edge, PSAC has the 7 contenders ( 5-0 SRU, 5-0 CAL, 4-1 KUTZ, 4-1 SHEP, 4-1 WCU, 4-1 SHIP, 3-1 IUP) MEC has 2 (4-1 NDC, 3-1 CHAS) GMAC has 1 (4-1 ODU) and NE10 has 2 (5-0 BENT, 3-1 UNH).
              Possible elimination games this week, PSAC-WCU@SHIP/ MEC-FSU@NDC/ GMAC-ODU@ASH/ NE10-na
              5-0 FROSTBURG ST (MEC) is not playoff eligible in their second D2 season but can really throw the MEC into chaos having beaten CHAS and traveling to NDC on Saturday.
              Last edited by CALUPA69; 10-03-2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                Second go round of musical chairs in SR1. Presuming 2 losses puts a team very much on the edge, PSAC has the 7 contenders ( 5-0 SRU, 5-0 CAL, 4-1 KUTZ, 4-1 SHEP, 4-1 WCU, 4-1 SHIP, 3-1 IUP) MEC has 2 (4-1 NDC, 3-1 CHAS) GMAC has 1 (4-1 ODU) and NE10 has 2 (5-0 BENT, 3-1 UNH).
                Possible elimination games this week, PSAC-WCU@SHIP/ MEC-FSU@NDC/ GMAC-ODU@ASH/ NE10-na
                5-0 FROSTBURG ST (MEC) is not playoff eligible in their second D2 season but can really throw the MEC into chaos having beaten CHAS and traveling to NDC on Saturday.
                its our 3rd season, so after this season we will be playoff eligible

Comment

Originally posted by Real_FSU_47 View Post

its our 3rd season, so after this season we will be playoff eligible
                  Oops, my bad :)

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post

Hey don't sweat it, this is a forum not a final exam. Btw, your 2017 observation is intriguing, I wonder if the fact that those losses were in and amongst each other (top tier GSC teams). By that I mean if VSU had managed to win one more of those games, they would have had 3 losses but the loss to I believe ASU would have kept us out and a 2 loss SAC team would have been given that slot.

I'm glad you pointed that exception out though because unlike earlier instances that playoff took place since the last NCAA D2 playoff tweak.
                    If I remember correctly that was precisely the reason the three GSC teams made the playoffs. They all three then went on the road and won their first round games and it was an all GSC SR2 semifinal. In 2018 the GSC got 4 teams in again and the only team that won a game was VSU and they won it all.

Comment

In 2017 a 7-4 Harding team won Region 3 and went on to play the eventual National champion, Texas AM - Commerce, in the semi-finals.

Comment

The SR2 committee tends to give GSC teams the benefit of the doubt (probably deservedly). In 2019 West Florida was 7-2 against D2 teams and got over 8-1 Virginia State. Both teams lost to the only playoff teams they'd faced, and had no losses to non-playoff teams; I don't have the official SOS numbers in front of me, but I don't think that UWF's official number was enough better than VSU's to have gotten them in without the GSC bump.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                          The SR2 committee tends to give GSC teams the benefit of the doubt (probably deservedly). In 2019 West Florida was 7-2 against D2 teams and got over 8-1 Virginia State. Both teams lost to the only playoff teams they'd faced, and had no losses to non-playoff teams; I don't have the official SOS numbers in front of me, but I don't think that UWF's official number was enough better than VSU's to have gotten them in without the GSC bump.
                          I don't know the numbers from 2019 but so far this year, the GSC is 14-2 in D2 OOC games while the SAC is 8-7, SIAC is 15-16, and CIAA is 7-16. If the numbers were similar it would be understandable that UWF would get the nod.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

Comment

Originally posted by OldBison View Post
                            In 2017 a 7-4 Harding team won Region 3 and went on to play the eventual National champion, Texas AM - Commerce, in the semi-finals.
                            Isn't that the year Harding started 0-3? Two 3 loss teams in the semi finals, guessing that doesn't happen very often.

Comment

Isn't that the year Harding started 0-3? Two 3 loss teams in the semi finals, guessing that doesn't happen very often.
                              Correct. Started 0-3 and made the playoffs at 8-3.

Comment

Thanks for the correction. Harding was 8-3, not 7-4, in conference before making the playoffs. If I remember correctly, we lost our first three games under new head coach, Paul Simmons, then went the remainder of the season undefeated until we lost to Texas AM- Commerce in the semis.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X