• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Ranks the Top 50 Programs of the last 150 Years.....some Div II love

Link: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rams-150-years

The 50 Best College Football Programs Over 150 Years
    ESPN.com

Several months ago, our Stats & Information Group was presented with a huge challenge: to rank the top programs in college football history.

Our goal: Honor the accomplishments of teams across 150 seasons and all divisions, while rewarding successful programs at the highest level in the sport's most competitive era.

Teams should be judged by winning games and winning championships, since those records exist all the way back to the early years. While some early game outcomes are even disputed between teams, national titles are subject to far greater debate. Fortunately, the NCAA decided that issue for us with its official list of major-college champions.

In our judgment, integration and scholarship limitations has made the past 50 years the most competitive the game has seen. The previous 50 years (the middle 50) were less so due to segregation and some regionalized scheduling that still allowed for occasional games against non-college teams. And the first 50 years, for all they gave us, were just a shadow of today's sport due to large-scale scheduling inequities and rules and a scoring system that were still in flux.

With all of these considerations, we created a formula (noted at the bottom of the page) to rank college football's greatest programs across all divisions using one metric. Let the debate begin.

The formula
    Basic Model
    Dominance, 20% -- number of National Championships
    Peak Strength, 20% -- winning percentage for best 50 seasons in program history
    Since integration, 30% -- winning percentage over the past 50 seasons (1969-2018)
    Early Modern, 20% -- winning percentage over the middle 50 seasons (1919-1968). Mostly pre-integration and included some games against non-college teams
    Pre-modern, 10% -- winning percentage over the first 50 seasons (1869-1918) *mostly pre-standardization of current rules and many games against non-college teams

Adjustments
    National championships below the FBS level count at 50%
    National championships before the poll era (1936) count at 50%
    Winning percentages when a team was not in Division I are reduced by 10%

1. Alabama
    2. Notre Dame
    3. Ohio State
    4. Oklahoma
    5. USC
    6. Michigan
    7. Yale
    8. Nebraska
    9. Texas
    10. North Dakota State
    11. Princeton
    12. Penn State
    13. Harvard
    14. Tennessee
    15. LSU
    16. Mount Union
    17. Miami (FL)
    18. St. John's (MN)
    19. Florida State
    20. Auburn
    21. Florida
    22. Georgia
    23. Boise State
    24. Clemson
    25. Grambling

26. Pennsylvania
    27. Wittenberg
    28. Michigan State
    29. Minnesota
    30. Washington
    31. Wisconsin-Whitewater
    32. Texas A&M
    33. Pittsburgh
    34. Appalachian State
    35. Linfield
    36. Georgia Tech
    37. Dartmouth
    38. Virginia Tech
    39. Army
    40. Miami (OH)
    41. Central Michigan
    42. Colorado
    43. Stanford
    44. Arkansas
    45. Pittsburg State
    46. Arizona State
    47. West Virginia
    48. Georgia Southern
    49. Utah
    50. Wisconsin

----------------------------------

10. North Dakota State
    63.6 | 15 national titles
    Talk about higher education: Where else would Saturday's America have learned there's a "z" in Bison? The dominance that North Dakota State has exerted over the FCS (I-AA) in the past decade is rivaled only by the program's dominance over Division II for a quarter of a century beginning in 1965. And as we saw when College GameDay visited Fargo in 2013, Bison fans have got some juice.

45. Pittsburg State
    51.6 | 4 national titles

There's no "h" in Pittsburg, Kansas, but there is one in champion. The Gorillas have won four national championships (two NAIA, two NCAA Division II), 31 total conference championships and 12 Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association titles. Most of those (nine) came in the 20 seasons coached by Chuck Broyles (1990-2009). Pittsburg State's best known football alumnus, Dennis Franchione, coached his alma mater to a 53-6 record from 1985 to 1989, before moving on, eventually to TCU, Alabama and Texas A&M.

Comment

Re: ESPN Ranks the Top 50 Programs of the last 150 Years.....some Div II lo

I would tend to ask that same question. Maybe you are being deducted for the previous 100 years of crap football before Mel arrived?

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post
        I would tend to ask that same question. Maybe you are being deducted for the previous 100 years of crap football before Mel arrived?
        Mel invented football - not sure what you are referring to about this time period before Mel.
        Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

My guess is that the winning percentage is not good enough for Northwest.

My guess is that Grand Valley hasn't been playing long enough is why they aren't on it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
            My guess is that the winning percentage is not good enough for Northwest.

My guess is that Grand Valley hasn't been playing long enough is why they aren't on it either.
            Yea, the formula talks about percentages counting for the first 50 years of football, the second 50 years of football, and the latest 50 years of football. If you haven't been playing football for at least most of the 150 years, you're at a big handicap here.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
              Yea, the formula talks about percentages counting for the first 50 years of football, the second 50 years of football, and the latest 50 years of football. If you haven't been playing football for at least most of the 150 years, you're at a big handicap here.
              I would have Northwest and Grand Valley in there. There are five D3 programs. No matter, it's a fun list.

Comment

Outside of the Top 50.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post
                  Mel invented football in 1994.

Comment

Breaking it up by the span of 50 seasons is absurd.

Comment

NW has 59 winning seasons(9 of them undefeated), around 30 conference titles and around 20 playoff appearances to go with 6 titles/4 runners up and right at .600 all time winning per centage....not bad by any means

Comment

Note that championships below FBS and winning percentage outside D1 are discounted, making the small schools that are included even more remarkable.

Comment

I'd like to see an adjustment made for graduation rates during the last 50 years and then take a look at the list.

Comment

Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post
                            I'd like to see an adjustment made for graduation rates during the last 50 years and then take a look at the list.
                            I'd like to see an adjustment made for having hot cheerleaders. You know, something that has nothing to do with actual football being played.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                              I'd like to see an adjustment made for having hot cheerleaders. You know, something that has nothing to do with actual football being played.
                              What about the elevation on top of the library on campus?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X