Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Real_FSU_47 View Post
    Mount union would instantly become a top 3 team in d2.
    False.

Comment

Stay in your lane until you see a few more teams outside of the MEC and Super Region 1.

Comment

you.
        are.
        high.

are you straight up talking plucking a team right out of the front of line for D3 and dropping them into a D2 conference with top 25 teams???

ive personally seen two of the top 10 teams in D3 play. this year. and also have friends that have been fans of d3 schools forever.
        older son played in the MIAA for several years in D2...id say ANY d3 school COULD BE middle of the road in any D2 conference. but, top 3 immediately???

the D3 players average o line size would be outweighed by most of the D2 dline rosters alone. i dont know where most of the D3 players come from high school or whatever but alot of the D2 guys not picked up out of highschool are D1 transfers. grades, attitude whatever kept them from playing up there had them transfer to the D2. i know two kids personally that weren't even starters on their high school teams are rotation players at 2 different D3 schools right this moment.

im sure mount saint marys is a good team in D3 but they would be outclassed by a majority of the MIAA and several of the GAC schools

Comment

After seeing Mount Union in person. They would still be considered a top 3 team at the d2 level.

Comment

After seeing Mount Union in person. They would still be considered a top 3 team at the d2 level.
            by who?

nevermind. not even gonna discuss it with you lol. i went to the roster for them...that raider oline would have mount unions qb on his back more than their cheerleaders.

Last edited by jimbo slice; 11-15-2021, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Realistically if Mount Union were in D2 they'd be in the GMAC. I could see Mount Union having similar success early on in the GMAC to which Frostburg has had in the MEC. I hesitate to say they could win the GMAC in year one because I honestly believe if the current Mount Union and Findlay teams played each other tomorrow, Findlay would win.

Saying Mount Union would be a top 3 D2 team in year one seems far fetched.

Comment

Absolutely not! They wouldn't be a top 3 team in the GSC, let alone the nation.
                RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                Delta State University, GSC

Comment

got some nibbles
                  Go Bearcats!
                  M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post

got some nibbles
                    It's possible that is the intent, but it's also possible the OP hasn't seen highest level D2.

Comment

You see this in all the lower classifications: the top teams in the lower classification can hang with most of the upper classification except their top teams. You run into size, depth, experience, etc. Coaching is a limitation - they're preparing for what is likely to be a one-off game instead of an annual opponent with familiar faces and strategies. The biggest difference I've seen between D2 and D3 rosters is size. Sometimes that's all the separates a kid from a football scholarship and D3. Much easier to get away with being a 5-10 QB or 5-8 WR in D3.

Comment

No, just no. Congrats for Frostburg coming into the MEC and doing well. Congrats you are now tied with Notre Dame as the tallest midget.

I watch the D3 Natty every year. Well coached teams that play hard. Mount Union/ Wisconsin Whitewater etc lack the depth, size and speed to hold up in many conferences. I see them doing ok in the GMAC, ok in the GLVC, ok in most region 1 schools and would get absolutely killed in other regions.

Frostburg has come into a conference where the largest enrollment is 7100. FSU is second at 5100. Heck 2 colleges in your conference have an enrollment under 1000. That's not even the size of a good sized bar at some of these other D2 schools.

MEC in the playoffs
                        2019 Notre Dame made a run and lost in the regional finals to Slippery Rock. Slippery Rock then lost by 40+ in the semi's
                        2018 Notre Dame got out of the region lost to SR2
                        2017 no MEC team made the playoffs
                        2016 Fairmont State lost in the first round by 49
                        2015 Charleston lost in the first round by 26
                        2014 No Mec team made the playoffs

If you want to be glass half full i guess you could say that you have had 1 team do well in the last 7 years but did worse in 2019 than in 2018. Maybe Frostburg will make a run in this years playoffs and change my mind....oh wait.

Neither Frostburg nor Pitt will be winning the NC this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post

No, just no. Congrats for Frostburg coming into the MEC and doing well. Congrats you are now tied with Notre Dame as the tallest midget.

I watch the D3 Natty every year. Well coached teams that play hard. Mount Union/ Wisconsin Whitewater etc lack the depth, size and speed to hold up in many conferences. I see them doing ok in the GMAC, ok in the GLVC, ok in most region 1 schools and would get absolutely killed in other regions.

Frostburg has come into a conference where the largest enrollment is 7100. FSU is second at 5100. Heck 2 colleges in your conference have an enrollment under 1000. That's not even the size of a good sized bar at some of these other D2 schools.

MEC in the playoffs
                          2019 Notre Dame made a run and lost in the regional finals to Slippery Rock. Slippery Rock then lost by 40+ in the semi's
                          2018 Notre Dame got out of the region lost to SR2
                          2017 no MEC team made the playoffs
                          2016 Fairmont State lost in the first round by 49
                          2015 Charleston lost in the first round by 26
                          2014 No Mec team made the playoffs

If you want to be glass half full i guess you could say that you have had 1 team do well in the last 7 years but did worse in 2019 than in 2018. Maybe Frostburg will make a run in this years playoffs and change my mind....oh wait.

Neither Frostburg nor Pitt will be winning the NC this year.
                          You have a few things wrong.

2014 - Concord won the region and lost to Mankato in the semis.

2015 - Shepherd lost to NWMSU in the national championship.

2016 - Shepherd won the region and lost to North Alabama in the semis.

2017 - Shepherd lost in the opening round to Findlay.

Of course, Shepherd is no longer in the MEC, so there's that. But I seriously doubt the OP has seen any team better than Notre Dame at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

You have a few things wrong.

2014 - Concord won the region and lost to Mankato in the semis.

2015 - Shepherd lost to NWMSU in the national championship.

2016 - Shepherd won the region and lost to North Alabama in the semis.

2017 - Shepherd lost in the opening round to Findlay.

Of course, Shepherd is no longer in the MEC, so there's that. But I seriously doubt the OP has seen any team better than Notre Dame at this point.
                            Great call out. I forgot Shepherd left the MEC for greener pastures and better competition. Legit missed Concord, hard to keep track of all the teams in my head. God Forbid I open another tab.

Comment

Realistically how soon could it take Mount Union's program prestige translate to the D2 level? I'm from Maryland, and the only D3 football program outside of the state (and DC) I was aware of until my adult years was Mount Union. Recruits know who they are now. Many just write them off because they don't offer scholarships. You'd have to imagine they'd be able land some good D2 level players once they could start offering scholarships.

If they played the program prestige angle well in recruiting as a D2 team, I believe they could win the GMAC within 3 years and make deep runs in the SR1 playoffs within 6 years. D2 national championship contention though, I just can't imagine that happening at any point under 10 years for them.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
                                Realistically how soon could it take Mount Union's program prestige translate to the D2 level? I'm from Maryland, and the only D3 football program outside of the state (and DC) I was aware of until my adult years was Mount Union. Recruits know who they are now. Many just write them off because they don't offer scholarships. You'd have to imagine they'd be able land some good D2 level players once they could start offering scholarships.

If they played the program prestige angle well in recruiting as a D2 team, I believe they could win the GMAC within 3 years and make deep runs in the SR1 playoffs within 6 years. D2 national championship contention though, I just can't imagine that happening at any point under 10 years for them.
                                I could see Mount Union becoming a D2 power over time, but there is no way that they could play with the likes of Valdosta, NWMSU, West Florida, Ferris, Grand Valley and the like. And I truly hope the person reading this notices that I didn't list a single SR1 program.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X