Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edited Title

So sayeth the Grand Valley coach ... so should everyone else just pack up and go home if they can't make the leap?!

https://lanthorn.com/86792/sports/mo...-a-move-to-di/

I didn't view anything in that article that implied D2 football was "dying"; what I did see is that the GLIAC is in trouble football-wise because it has had a lot of turnover and lacks members, which necessitates more out-of-conference games, which are hard to fill on the schedule when many other D2 conferences play a high number of conference games.

Comment

D2 football is growing, just not WHERE we want it to grow.

2010 - 152 teams
      2011 - 150
      2012 - 156
      2013 - 162
      2014 - 167
      2015 - 168
      2016 - 170
      2017 - 168
      2018 - 166
      2019 - 166
      2021 - 166

2022-2024 - gaining 3 teams and losing 1 team

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

2010 - 152 teams
        2011 - 150
        2012 - 156
        2013 - 162
        2014 - 167
        2015 - 168
        2016 - 170
        2017 - 168
        2018 - 166
        2019 - 166
        2021 - 166

Where do we want it to grow?
        Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post

Where do we want it to grow?
          West coast would be a good place.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

2010 - 152 teams
            2011 - 150
            2012 - 156
            2013 - 162
            2014 - 167
            2015 - 168
            2016 - 170
            2017 - 168
            2018 - 166
            2019 - 166
            2021 - 166

That's the current number but keep an eye on the largest D2 conference, PSAC, which is in the process of consolidating six schools into 2. At present it's unclear what effect this will have on FB and other athletics. West of the Allegheny Mountains CAL U, BORO and CLARION are being renamed PENNSYLVANIA WESTERN UNIVERSITY. The same is going on East of the mountains with LOCK HAVEN, MANSFIELD (non FB) and BLOOMSBURG but the name has not been decided. Possible (probable??) loss of 2-3 FB programs won't threaten a league with 16 FB teams but it potentially will start a new round of poaching nearby conferences especially the MEC and GMAC. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Try II View Post
              So sayeth the Grand Valley coach ... so should everyone else just pack up and go home if they can't make the leap?!

https://lanthorn.com/86792/sports/mo...-a-move-to-di/
              Respectfully, this thread and its title are nothing more than click bait. The quote is that GLIAC Football is the fruit that is dying:

I copied and pasted that directly from the article, so there is no paraphrasing on my part. Look at the statement: D2Football = Tree; GLIAC Football = Fruit. Not super difficult to see that. Based on recent history, the premise that the GLIAC's football offering is unhealthy is undeniable.

I have been outspoken in favor of the D2 model, and as a GV alum I am even more adamant about wanting GV to stay D2. Certainly, much of GV's investigation of a move to D1 is being driven by the GLIAC's membership shifts (again, dying fruit). While I have not been in the room for any of Coach Mitchell's statements, I don't think it's a stretch to conclude that he's trying to be honest with recruits (and the author of this article) about the current state of the GLIAC and that GV is doing its due diligence to figure out what it's next, best move is. I have my opinions on all of that, but my ultimate purpose for this post is to point out that incorrectly paraphrasing a person's statement and then making a rather silly presumption to what the statement "meant" isn't getting anyone anywhere. I get that it's an "internet message board", but for the most part the D2 community out here is simply better than this.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

That's the current number but keep an eye on the largest D2 conference, PSAC, which is in the process of consolidating six schools into 2. At present it's unclear what effect this will have on FB and other athletics. West of the Allegheny Mountains CAL U, BORO and CLARION are being renamed PENNSYLVANIA WESTERN UNIVERSITY. The same is going on East of the mountains with LOCK HAVEN, MANSFIELD (non FB) and BLOOMSBURG but the name has not been decided. Possible (probable??) loss of 2-3 FB programs won't threaten a league with 16 FB teams but it potentially will start a new round of poaching nearby conferences especially the MEC and GMAC. Time will tell.
                Consolidate to 10 and keep it there.

PSAC doesn't need 16 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Poaching by the MEC and GMAC? Non PASSHE schools Mercyhurst, Gannon and perhaps Seton Hill and Shepherd could decide that staying in a shrinking PSAC with schools that are in financial trouble might not be in their best interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

So who leaves and where do they go?

Comment

I'd say 12 which could be achieved by 2/3 of the consolidateds dropping out and gives the option of all conference or conference + 1 OOC or some combination. The experience of the GLIAC, as shown, frightens me since at 10 you'd only have a core of 6 PASSHE schools should SHEP and/or the privates choose to opt out. With 8 PASSHE teams chances of survival improve distinctly, should the worst happen.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

If the schools consolidate. I wasn't suggesting kicking anyone out.

Comment

If it was up to me LHU, BORO and CLARION would drop FB but continue as independent entities within the PSAC in all other sports. FB would then have 13 which would increase XO/OOC games.....until we can scam the MEC into taking SHU back.......or we can finagle FROSTBURG into jumping ship....or both !!

Comment

If the schools consolidate. I wasn't suggesting kicking anyone out.
                            I don't disagree, but that would be a lot of consolidation! Currently four non-PASSHE schools in the PSAC. If they all stay, that would be six total state schools losing football. Assuming Edinboro, Clarion and Locke Haven cease football this go round, who do you think the next three would be?

Comment

I don't disagree, but that would be a lot of consolidation! Currently four non-PASSHE schools in the PSAC. If they all stay, that would be six total state schools losing football. Assuming Edinboro, Clarion and Locke Haven cease football this go round, who do you think the next three would be?
                              The scenario is more 5 schools becoming 2 football entities in this. Cal/Boro/Clarion becoming West, Bloom/Lock Haven/Mansfield (mansfield doesn't have football) would be the east. They wouldn't lose all 6 schools, just 3 theoretically.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X