Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUN-WAC Football Partnership Formally Rebrands As The United Athletic Conference (wacsports.com)

Comment

The February Membership Committee meeting report has finally been published and we do officially have 6 applicants.

a. Jessup University
      b. Menlo College
      c. Roosevelt University
      d. Sul Ross State University
      e. Talladega College
      f. Vanguard University

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/com...emb_Report.pdf

Comment

Something else in that report caught my attention:

Update on recent membership issues. Staff provided an update regarding the potential merger between Bloomfield College and Montclair State University. The committee will engage in further discussion regarding the potential merger during its April virtual meeting.

I'd be interested if this is going to be a similar situation to the former University of the Sciences (a former CACC member) being merged into St. Joseph's where the USciences athletics program was disbanded or if this means that Bloomfield will retain a separate athletics program from Montclair (see: Bloomsburg/Lock Haven/Mansfield or Lyndon State/Johnson State merger into Northern Vermont University).

EDIT: From Bloomfield's academic website:

Will Bloomfield's sports teams continue to compete as Bloomfield?

Bloomfield College remains committed to its NCAA Division II sports teams. This is among the important matters we are working hard to address.

Will my athletic eligibility be impacted in 2022-2023?

As of now, student athletes will maintain their current eligibility status for the 2022-2023 academic year. All athletic teams are poised to compete through Spring 2023.

Will Bloomfield teams be able to compete in 2023-2024?

This is one of the important matters that still needs to be addressed. The two institutions are working with each other and the NCAA to determine options in maintaining athletics at Bloomfield College.

Will this impact athletic scholarships, recruitment, signing day, etc. 2023-2024?

This is one of the important matters that still needs to be addressed. We will work closely with the NCAA to determine how best to proceed with current and future athletic team schedules. We will provide updates as we know more.

That's leading me to believe that Bloomfield will still keep their D2 athletic programs instead of merging them into the D3 Montclair State program.
        Last edited by ctrabs74; 04-19-2023, 10:07 PM.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Not college but MLB- are the A's moving to Vegas? Looks like it. Oakland A's agree to purchase land near Las Vegas Strip (espn.com)

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
            Not college but MLB- are the A's moving to Vegas? Looks like it. Oakland A's agree to purchase land near Las Vegas Strip (espn.com)
            The A's have been trying to get a new stadium built in Oakland, so either things are going sideways with Oakland/Alameda County or the A's are using Vegas as leverage.

Comment

From the April committee meeting on Bloomfield College:

Discussion regarding potential merger between Bloomfield College and Montclair State University. The committee reviewed and discussed information regarding the potential merger between Bloomfield College and Montclair State University. The committee agreed to take no action until a final decision on the structure of the integration has been issued and accreditation is resolved through the regional accrediting agency.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

The A's have been trying to get a new stadium built in Oakland, so either things are going sideways with Oakland/Alameda County or the A's are using Vegas as leverage.
                I'd say that they are gone.

Comment

If they can get public funding for it, they'll go to Vegas. Vegas is still paying for the Raiders stadium though, so there's nothing set in stone just yet. But Oakland hasn't budged on the stadium issue much at all and I don't see the A's staying.

All 3 pro sports teams gone in a decade if the A's leave in 2027 - that's really rough.

The only winners in the stadium battle are the cats.

Comment

Vegas Aces

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                      Vegas Aces
                      Nope. WNBA team already has the name.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

Nope. WNBA team already has the name.
                        Oops, Royal Flush?

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

Oops, Royal Flush?
                          Craps?
                          Pips?

Comment

Vegas venereal diseases.

Comment

And it looks like talks with Oakland went sideways. When I initially posted that comment, I wasn't aware how serious the Vegas news was for the A's.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

If they can get public funding for it, they'll go to Vegas. Vegas is still paying for the Raiders stadium though, so there's nothing set in stone just yet. But Oakland hasn't budged on the stadium issue much at all and I don't see the A's staying.

All 3 pro sports teams gone in a decade if the A's leave in 2027 - that's really rough.

The only winners in the stadium battle are the cats.
                                There's talk that the A's could play in the relatively new minor league ballpark in Vegas - the home of the A's Triple-A affiliate - until their new ballpark is built.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X