Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Venue and Atmosphere in D2

With the newly renovated Chad Richison Stadium (new turf and visitor stands, waterfall below jumbotron, and all the training, locker room and coaches offices in one building)...just curious your thoughts on who has the best venue and the best game day atmosphere in D2 Football?

Even though I've never been there personally, my vote would go to Grand Valley State.

Comment

Comment

This article is from 2019, there's been a few changes but I think it's accurate for the most part. https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...according-fans
        Last edited by crixus; 08-24-2022, 02:56 AM.
        Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
          This article is from 2019, there's been a few changes but I think it's accurate for the most part. https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...according-fans
          West Florida won't be playing in Blue Wahoo Stadium - the best view in D2 - any longer. Pen Air Stadium (at this time) is nowhere near the same type of venue.

Comment

Pitt state family day is great. But the battle of ravine OBU vs Henderson is epic small college football and a must see

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post

West Florida won't be playing in Blue Wahoo Stadium - the best view in D2 - any longer. Pen Air Stadium (at this time) is nowhere near the same type of venue.
              That "best view in D2" was one of the few changes I was referring to.
              Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

I'm blatantly biased, but for me, the atmosphere is mostly dictated by the fans. True, looking at mountains or water enhances views, but I'm not at a scenic turnout looking from an overlook. I'm at a stadium to watch football. Case in point. Lubbers (GVSU) has no compare when it has over 10k fans in the stadium. The, vibe, band, players, fans,sightlines etc, all contribute to a great atmosphere. But those later season games with questionable weather reduces attendance. This can even apply to some playoff games. The atmosphere is markedly different and bordering on .... Meh.

So, I've not been to many of the big draw programs, but a packed house will have the biggest influence for atmosphere for me. A barely partially filled great stadium doesn't do it. So, for me, Shepherd and NWMS should be right up there. I suspect Piit, and CSU and maybe Midwestern(?) can also be on the list. I'll be checking CSU out in Sept. Not sure I'll see Pitt anytime soon. And for me, having one or two games a season with great atmosphere doesn't cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                  I'm blatantly biased, but for me, the atmosphere is mostly dictated by the fans. True, looking at mountains or water enhances views, but I'm not at a scenic turnout looking from an overlook. I'm at a stadium to watch football. Case in point. Lubbers (GVSU) has no compare when it has over 10k fans in the stadium. The, vibe, band, players, fans,sightlines etc, all contribute to a great atmosphere. But those later season games with questionable weather reduces attendance. This can even apply to some playoff games. The atmosphere is markedly different and bordering on .... Meh.

So, I've not been to many of the big draw programs, but a packed house will have the biggest influence for atmosphere for me. A barely partially filled great stadium doesn't do it. So, for me, Shepherd and NWMS should be right up there. I suspect Piit, and CSU and maybe Midwestern(?) can also be on the list. I'll be checking CSU out in Sept. Not sure I'll see Pitt anytime soon. And for me, having one or two games a season with great atmosphere doesn't cut it.
                  Carson-Newman at GV in 2009 for the national semifinals. Best gameday atmosphere I was ever at. Not even close.

Comment

Morehouse - especially during Homecoming, which can probably be said about most HBCUs - nothing else like it

Comment

Comment

I agree with you and may should have made the distinction between best stadium and best atmosphere! They are not always and usually not one in the same. As far as aesthetics go, I think UCO's new additions are amazing for a d2 program! I have attended a game at Pitt St and Northwestern State. Both were great atmospheres with good tailgating but Pitt's stands were half full!

Comment

Comment

Yeah, I remember that 2015 game.. tried to forget. Still, it was exciting and stands were packed... and then some. We caught a break with the weather too. One heck of a day.

Comment

Shepherd's Ram Stadium is a pretty good venue. Ironically, the only issue is the seats are too close to the field; it can be hard to see what happens in the corners of the end zone on the same side of the field as main, home (west) stands. But the proximity of the seats to the field enhances the atmosphere.

Redman Stadium (Bloomsburg) isn't bad either because the home stands are relatively steep and high, making it easier to see (even with a track around the field).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X