Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

As a boomer, I resemble that.. LOL.

Still, those are clearly not recent tunes. (I'll throw in Enter Sandman too.) And when played, Lubber's fan get pretty active. And, IMO, I don't know of a RECENT rap song that gets that reaction. "Lose yourself" is played too, but I don't consider that recent. In fact, I recall hearing that tune at the Freezing Rain/Ice GV V NW play off game. GRRRRR
    This is all I remember from that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Some have greater histories than most D1 schools. The reach/size is the issue.

I agree with you about the perception of a majority of fans. A football program is either Power 5 or it's not.

I guess it depends on what schools are being compared - like I could see some of the D2 Blue Bloods matching up against many lower D1 teams in the tradition department.

Comment

Still, those are clearly not recent tunes. (I'll throw in Enter Sandman too.) And when played, Lubber's fan get pretty active. And, IMO, I don't know of a RECENT rap song that gets that reaction. "Lose yourself" is played too, but I don't consider that recent. In fact, I recall hearing that tune at the Freezing Rain/Ice GV V NW play off game. GRRRRR
        Mo Bamba will get a crowd going.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f-zv8m...BzdGF0ZQ%3D%3D

Having grown up in the late '90s, early '00s, 1980's rock just doesn't pack much punch for me. I listen too it, but it's kinda soft compared to what I'm used too. Metallica being example #1. Definitely would not mind seeing them swapped out at sporting events.

Ironically, being a Michigan guy - it doesn't get softer than Mr. Brightside. Still love it though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x-2k6T...dhbiBzdGFkaXVt

Comment

I think you mean resent .... Anyway, Enter Sandman again is a Gen X song. Lose yourself is Millennial. Music has moved away from Stadium Rock/Rap, it was transitioning in the mid 2010's.
          This argument is moot, as you are still going to games despite the music being played. Point proven that it has no effect on attendance.

Comment

Really? They don't like it eh? So the most popular songs we here at Lubbers are ones the boomers grew up with... Living on a Prayer, Thunderstruck, Sweet Caroline, Don't stop believing, etc. Yes there are some Drake and rap, but the student section seems to embrace those old tunes quite firmly.
            As many have pointed out, you have referenced the wrong era. The boomers were fully grown by those songs. I don’t hear much Dion, Buddy Holly, Beach Boys, etc at games. But I might be tuning it out, too.

One of the more popular songs is basically a fake song from a movie. Stand up, from Rockstar (2001). The music played at games has a purpose, and it’s not a smooth jazz elevator ride.

To each their own. If tsull doesn’t like rap, great. I don’t get most of the newer stuff either. But I’m not supposed to. That’s the beauty of music/arts, we all have different tastes. But I think people not going to games due to music is absurd. If anything, it’s the 3 second attention spans.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

As many have pointed out, you have referenced the wrong era. The boomers were fully grown by those songs. I don’t hear much Dion, Buddy Holly, Beach Boys, etc at games. But I might be tuning it out, too.

One of the more popular songs is basically a fake song from a movie. Stand up, from Rockstar (2001). The music played at games has a purpose, and it’s not a smooth jazz elevator ride.

To each their own. If tsull doesn’t like rap, great. I don’t get most of the newer stuff either. But I’m not supposed to. That’s the beauty of music/arts, we all have different tastes. But I think people not going to games due to music is absurd. If anything, it’s the 3 second attention spans.
              I surrender.My point is that the fans in the seats like older music as much as newer songs. I do agree that music sets isn't a reason why people don't go to games though.

I'm a boomer and I embrace ALL those songs I mentioned. Frankly, the boomers I know aren't into the 50's/60s stuff as much as the few songs I referenced. I get when they were released, but it doesn't mean a 20 to 40 something won't like new songs. For that matter 60 somethings... LOL

And really, I think it's more of an issue of rap style "tunes" vs other ones. Shut up and dance or Shake it off can be more popular in most stadiums than even some Drake songs.

But again, it's not the music keeping people away. IMO, it's more than likely costs and quality of the product. Just the seat license for some colleges is triple the price of season tix at most D2 venues. No idea as to student costs. GV shows pretty well, but I'll admit it's as much of a social thing as anything. When weather goes south.... so do many of the students. They do show pretty well for the bigger games though.

Comment

I surrender.My point is that the fans in the seats like older music as much as newer songs. I do agree that music sets isn't a reason why people don't go to games though.

I'm a boomer and I embrace ALL those songs I mentioned. Frankly, the boomers I know aren't into the 50's/60s stuff as much as the few songs I referenced. I get when they were released, but it doesn't mean a 20 to 40 something won't like new songs. For that matter 60 somethings... LOL

And really, I think it's more of an issue of rap style "tunes" vs other ones. Shut up and dance or Shake it off can be more popular in most stadiums than even some Drake songs.

But again, it's not the music keeping people away. IMO, it's more than likely costs and quality of the product. Just the seat license for some colleges is triple the price of season tix at most D2 venues. No idea as to student costs. GV shows pretty well, but I'll admit it's as much of a social thing as anything. When weather goes south.... so do many of the students. They do show pretty well for the bigger games though.
                That’s exactly something that more schools need to embrace. It’s a social event, and should be presented as such. Especially if you want more than just hard core sports fans there.

Id rather listen to goats repeatedly screaming than Drake! Ha. Another fun offseason topic :) People complaining about music. Gotta have something, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

That’s exactly something that more schools need to embrace. It’s a social event, and should be presented as such. Especially if you want more than just hard core sports fans there.

Id rather listen to goats repeatedly screaming than Drake! Ha. Another fun offseason topic :) People complaining about music. Gotta have something, I suppose.
                  I went to my first Gophers game last year and the fans flooded the concourse below the video board around half time. It looked like a night club. Definitely a social thing.

Anyway I agree, I think games should be social events to some extent. Many that I go too have that element to it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X