Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Becoming a stater at a P5 school is probably the ultimate near-term goal. Because doing so is likely a ticket to the NFL, even if it results in being on a practice squad. I wonder what the percentage of starters (22 or 24 if you include kickers and punters x all the P5 schools) end up being drafted or being UDFAs? I would think its pretty high.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post

One solution to the meaningless bowl situation is to double the playoff field to 24 with 8 byes in first round. Use the bowls for the 8 games in first two rounds, the 4 quarterfinal games and the 2 semifinal games for a total of 22 bowl games.

This would make half the bowls meaningful, put more fans in seats and cause more players to play, especially since they would be getting multiple bowl swag in a deep run in the playoffs.

The remaining and reduced number of non-playoff bowls might end up being more meaningful due to the scarcity of opportunities for the extra practices prized by the coaches.

Or you could take the 20 odd remaining bowl games and sponsor more opening week “Classics” and more in season rivalry Classics like the annual FAMU and Bethune Cookman game week.
      Danny Kanell tweeted that bowls should no longer be part of college football's postseason, (playoffs should be the only postseason) and bowl games should be moved as week 0 part of the following season. I love that idea, as the bowl games would actually have meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsvine View Post

Danny Kanell tweeted that bowls should no longer be part of college football's postseason, (playoffs should be the only postseason) and bowl games should be moved as week 0 part of the following season. I love that idea, as the bowl games would actually have meaning.
        Kannell’s idea is about as stupid as everything else he says. If teams want high quality non-conference games to open the season there’s nothing stopping them from scheduling like that now. Also, how is moving the games to the next season a reward for the older guys on the roster who graduate? If senior Joe Schmoe goes to a crappy school because it’s his preferred choice and works hard for four-five years to finally make a bowl game why should John Doe who redshirted or some new recruit get the benefit of playing in it instead of the guy who helped the team get there?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

Kannell’s idea is about as stupid as everything else he says. If teams want high quality non-conference games to open the season there’s nothing stopping them from scheduling like that now. Also, how is moving the games to the next season a reward for the older guys on the roster who graduate? If senior Joe Schmoe goes to a crappy school because it’s his preferred choice and works hard for four-five years to finally make a bowl game why should John Doe who redshirted or some new recruit get the benefit of playing in it instead of the guy who helped the team get there?
          Sure you can schedule games, but schedules are generally made years out, and by the time comes around for that game, the team might not be good anymore. A bowl game is more likely to produce a competitive game the following season. As for the outgoing seniors losing out, I did address that. But there exists no such system without any drawbacks. Maybe the outgoing seniors would be allowed to play the bowl game (ONLY) in week zero following the next summer, even if they were no longer a student. I love it. But, of course, we can agree to disagree.

Comment

Sure you can schedule games, but schedules are generally made years out, and by the time comes around for that game, the team might not be good anymore. A bowl game is more likely to produce a competitive game the following season. As for the outgoing seniors losing out, I did address that. But there exists no such system without any drawbacks. Maybe the outgoing seniors would be allowed to play the bowl game (ONLY) in week zero following the next summer, even if they were no longer a student. I love it. But, of course, we can agree to disagree.
            I mean it seems like the easy answer to me is just remove the playoff system all together and just go back to awarding national championships based on season-long polls. Let the media and coaches vote for the champion at the end of the year. Sure, you'll still see players opting out who don't have a chance to finish as #1 in the final poll, but I would venture to think you'd get at least the top 6 or so teams to give max effort/participation since they'll be in the running to be voted #1 after the bowl season.

The other option might be to require that all schools and players have to determine their availability for bowls prior to the bowls being announced, and consider those opt-outs before you go through the bowl process. If Florida State says they're gonna have 18 players sit out, or whatever it was, including virtually every NFL-level player, then don't let them be in a high-level bowl. Put them in a mid-level bowl. Reward the schools who get the highest participation.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Becoming a stater at a P5 school is probably the ultimate near-term goal. Because doing so is likely a ticket to the NFL, even if it results in being on a practice squad. I wonder what the percentage of starters (22 or 24 if you include kickers and punters x all the P5 schools) end up being drafted or being UDFAs? I would think its pretty high.
              Some older data from 2018- “Looking at players that started 1+ years at @AlabamaFTBL from 2010-2017, 55% were drafted. Next best among FBS schools is @OhioStateFB at 45%, @GatorsFB and @FSUFootball at 43% and @LSUfootball at 41%.”

that’s only drafted not udfa/ practice squad and those are the top schools not an average

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X