Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

With Losing Malone football, Who becomes the top targets for G-MAC expansion? I have a few theories. I could also see losing Alderson Broaddus and Ohio Valley off to the MEC with Davis and Elkins anytime now. Here is what I think would be the top targets:

1. Notre Dame College: was an in initial member when they created the G-MAC but backed out late. Geography just makes so much sense, and the are far more competitive of late. Old bad blood may be a hurdle though from when they backed out of the conference.

2. Urbana: have football, make sense with geography. Same problem as NDC with old bad blood as they are a former member too.

3. Uindy: Geography, competitive, and is currently in the GLVC which does not make a lot of sense for their location with the closing of Saint Joe a few years ago.

4. Ashland: Geography, almost came in a few years ago, and generally competitive.

5. Adding a NAIA/D3: Depauw (D3), Wabash (D3), Marian (NAIA), Saint Francis (NAIA), Thomas More (NAIA)

Comment

Re: With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

I agree, they would probably get beat up in other sports by think. Middle of the Road at best. Honestly the biggest hurdle for them in a old politics of them not joining initially for whatever reason.

But with now basically losing 1.5 schools (DE/Malone football), I think the expansion needs to be soon. Especially if you end up losing the other WV schools.

Comment

The GMAC needs to continue to build on an already solid start, and continue to keep Ashland in the loop. I still think the end goal is Ashland in the GMAC. Ashland and Indy would put this conference right were it needs to be. Would be a very strong conference in all sports.

Also I get ND had a great year in football last year, but I have no clue where they are as an athletic department. The conference they play in is trash, Urban is one wrong move from not even have school.

Comment

Originally posted by unc4life View Post
          The GMAC needs to continue to build on an already solid start, and continue to keep Ashland in the loop. I still think the end goal is Ashland in the GMAC. Ashland and Indy would put this conference right were it needs to be. Would be a very strong conference in all sports.

Also I get ND had a great year in football last year, but I have no clue where they are as an athletic department. The conference they play in is trash, Urban is one wrong move from not even have school.

I think everyone thinks Ashland is going to end up in the G-MAC. It's mostly a matter of when. They didn't go before because competition concerns across all sports. While losing Malone doesn't help in football, I think end of the day, Ashland can't pass up the opportunity to avoid going to the UP for every sport.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post
              I think everyone thinks Ashland is going to end up in the G-MAC. It's mostly a matter of when. They didn't go before because competition concerns across all sports. While losing Malone doesn't help in football, I think end of the day, Ashland can't pass up the opportunity to avoid going to the UP for every sport.
              Losing Malone football hurts from a numbers perspective, but not necessarily from a quality perspective.

Comment

I think of the IN NAIAs Marian and Saint Francis are the only options. The others are not nearly at the same competition level as Marian and USF. The other IN schools that could be interesting are maybe Depauw/Wabash (really strong commitment to their programs) and Oakland City, which is technically a D2 independent without football but probably fits better geographically in the GLVC.

Comment

I think of the IN NAIAs Marian and Saint Francis are the only options. The others are not nearly at the same competition level as Marian and USF. The other IN schools that could be interesting are maybe Depauw/Wabash (really strong commitment to their programs) and Oakland City, which is technically a D2 independent without football but probably fits better geographically in the GLVC.
                  Just looking at the NAIA Directors' Cup Standings for 2017-18 it seems IWU, Marion, and Taylor can compete very well. I admit that I know only the basic facts about these schools.

5 Indiana Wesleyan
                  15 Taylor
                  32 Marian
                  55 Saint Francis (IN)

Oakland City has not publicly shown much interest in joining a conference. Their schedules are overwhelmingly dominated by NAIA and NCCAA schools. It's questionable why they are even in D2.

Comment

1. Notre Dame College: I suspect NDC would be a trade for AB if either team activity moved to the correct geographic conference.

2. Urbana: No.

3. Uindy: Possible if ....

..... 4. Ashland: Rumor is when not if

5. Adding a NAIA/D3:
                    Depauw (D3) No
                    Wabash (D3) No
                    Marian (NAIA) can't see both UIndy and Marian
                    Saint Francis (NAIA) Interesting
                    Thomas More (NAIA) Not sure

Comment

Originally posted by OhioD2 View Post
                      1. Notre Dame College: I suspect NDC would be a trade for AB if either team activity moved to the correct geographic conference.

5. Adding a NAIA/D3:
                      Depauw (D3) No
                      Wabash (D3) No
                      Fair assessment, an Marian/Uindy add would be killer I think. Would be extremely tough to pull Marian away from the much less regulated NAIA because their success is built on former D1 guys with eligibility/behavior issues.

I think the AB/NDC thought is good too, and I would consider Urbana a good add if you lost OVU and AB to the MEC. Urbana has to be at least as good for the conference as OVU has been.

Ya, Ashland is coming I think.

Comment

I'm curious if the GMAC has approached Mercyhurst and Gannon or the other way around? Being private, it seems those two have more in common with most GMAC members than they do with PSAC schools, plus they both used to be members of the GLIAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozsa2 View Post
                          I'm curious if the GMAC has approached Mercyhurst and Gannon or the other way around? Being private, it seems those two have more in common with most GMAC members than they do with PSAC schools, plus they both used to be members of the GLIAC.
                          I think they have in the past. Not sure if they have lately but they should.

Comment

Oakland City is BARELY a D2 member, since they barely play any D2 schools despite meeting all other requirements for NCAA membership. Take a look at their basketball schedules and you'll probably want to reconsider that option.
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by OhioD2 View Post

5. Adding a NAIA/D3:
                              Depauw (D3) No
                              Wabash (D3) No
                              Thomas More, which for those unfamiliar, is located just a little south of Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky, just moved from D3 to NAIA, a move that might have been motivated by their sanctions case involving the women's basketball program. So, you can scratch them off the list.
                              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X