Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

I have been asking a bunch of people about this topic.

The league would love the Erie schools.
    Football is the big holdout at Ashland.
    Northwood is on the wish list of many, but highly doubtful.
    D3 schools are long, long shots. The good ones are established in long-time leagues and the "non-scholarship" game is easier to play than funding and accounting for the athletic scholarships at the D2 level.

Comment

Originally posted by chargerblue View Post
      I always keep my eye on the Erie schools. I have no reason to believe that they aren't happy where they are. And, I have to believe that the G-MAC footprint is further west of their traditional recruiting area (for the school in general, not necessarily athletics only)

That said, they do share history with Hillsdale and Findlay (and Ashland and UIndy) and align nicely institutionally. Edit: If they did come, I think Seton Hill would be involved too.
      Last edited by BlueBlood; 02-11-2019, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
        I always keep my eye on the Erie schools. I have no reason to believe that they aren't happy where they are. And, I have to believe that the G-MAC footprint is further west of their traditional recruiting area (for the school in general, not necessarily athletics only)

That said, they do share history with Hillsdale and Findlay (and Ashland and UIndy) and align nicely institutionally. Edit: If they did come, I think Seton Hill would be involved too.
        I wouldn't hold my breath on the Erie schools. Their travel isn't horrendous, since their longest road trips are to west of Philadelphia (West Chester), and they've historically held their own in non-football sports.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
          I wouldn't hold my breath on the Erie schools. Their travel isn't horrendous, since their longest road trips are to west of Philadelphia (West Chester), and they've historically held their own in non-football sports.
          Completely agree/understood.

Comment

D3 schools are long, long shots. The good ones are established in long-time leagues and the "non-scholarship" game is easier to play than funding and accounting for the athletic scholarships at the D2 level.
            I always thought that Lee Owens is the reason that Ashland decided to stay in the GLIAC. They said that they would revisit conference affiliation in two years(now one year). Coach Owens is now 62 years old, maybe they move in another year and Owens moves on.

Comment

I have been talking to myself about this topic. I would like Hillsdale to go back to the GLIAC. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                I have been talking to myself about this topic. I would like Hillsdale to go back to the GLIAC. ;)
                Well, darn, now they almost have to go back. :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                  Thomas More, which for those unfamiliar, is located just a little south of Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky, just moved from D3 to NAIA, a move that might have been motivated by their sanctions case involving the women's basketball program. So, you can scratch them off the list.
                  You may be surprised, I did hear that Thomas More was in some discussions with D2 conferences. But the interest was more on the Thomas More side, the conferences were not impressed.

Comment

This is similar to Uindy i think. Their AD had been with the schools since the 70s and is near retirement, so some think that moving won't happen till after she is gone.

Comment

Football would benefit from playing Hillsdale, Findlay, Tiffin, ODU.
                      They have not benefited from lack of computer points from playing KyWy & LEC

I wonder if Walsh will get better being the only game in town now

Comment

Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post
                        You may be surprised, I did hear that Thomas More was in some discussions with D2 conferences. But the interest was more on the Thomas More side, the conferences were not impressed.
                        The recent infractions case involving the women's basketball program might have had something to do with that lack of interest from the conferences, but that's just a speculative guess on my part. I'd bet the conferences in question were probably the GMAC and the GLVC, and I can't blame them for saying, "Nah, we good. Thanks anyway."
                        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          I second the Nomination of Hillsdale back into the GLIAC. :wink:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X