X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purduefan11
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post

There is no need for the G-MAC to kick either out - these are both charter members! I don't see what the issue is. The OH schools hit both TNU and KWC in one road trip. The burden is TNU's and KWC's - they are the ones racking up the miles. TNU and KWC helped build the conference!
    Agreed, I am not saying they should be booted. Simply that if I was AD at either one, I would want too explore my other options sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• purduefan11
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I have had that impression a lot during this discussion.

"Thanks for helping us when we were struggling to start a conference, but now that Ashland has left the GLIAC, do pound sand."
    I do not know why people are taking this as we are crapping on TNU and KWC. KWC simply fits in the GLVC better than in the GMAC. TNU is a tougher question, but I think they should at least consider moving on, especially if KWC goes. Conferences and schools change over time. It is not an disrespect to anyone to say that they could fit better somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied
    And for folks who don't know - TNU is the school that stepped in and kept the conference viable when NDC bailed on the G-MAC.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

If the GMAC doesn't kick them out, it's likely they'll never leave.
    There is no need for the G-MAC to kick either out - these are both charter members! I don't see what the issue is. The OH schools hit both TNU and KWC in one road trip. The burden is TNU's and KWC's - they are the ones racking up the miles. TNU and KWC helped build the conference!

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

Again, not claiming that any conference will tell anyone to leave by force. I think everyone here is talking about TNU and KWC leaving the GMAC on their own accord, and NDC/Uindy joining on their own terms as well. I do not think anyone is claiming the GMAC will kick them out like St. Thomas got kicked out in D3.
    If the GMAC doesn't kick them out, it's likely they'll never leave.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Forcing schools out because you don't need them anymore or because you would rather have a different school as a member is extremely bad optics. Also raises the question among the remaining and new members, I wonder if the conference will ever grow tired of me and kick me out?? It kind of gives the impression that the conference sees its members as use and discard items.
    I have had that impression a lot during this discussion.

"Thanks for helping us when we were struggling to start a conference, but now that Ashland has left the GLIAC, do pound sand."

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied

Any time a conference expansion plan starts with "We get rid of..." you have to be a little suspect. Forcing schools out because you don't need them anymore or because you would rather have a different school as a member is extremely bad optics. Also raises the question among the remaining and new members, I wonder if the conference will ever grow tired of me and kick me out?? It kind of gives the impression that the conference sees its members as use and discard items.
    Again, not claiming that any conference will tell anyone to leave by force. I think everyone here is talking about TNU and KWC leaving the GMAC on their own accord, and NDC/Uindy joining on their own terms as well. I do not think anyone is claiming the GMAC will kick them out like St. Thomas got kicked out in D3.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Neither would willingly leave the conference unless they had better options available to them. At this point, it does not look like that is happening. What would really be better options for them?
    Any time a conference expansion plan starts with "We get rid of..." you have to be a little suspect. Forcing schools out because you don't need them anymore or because you would rather have a different school as a member is extremely bad optics. Also raises the question among the remaining and new members, I wonder if the conference will ever grow tired of me and kick me out?? It kind of gives the impression that the conference sees its members as use and discard items.

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied

NDC seemed very ecstatic to move into the MEC. And their public statements indicate that they are still very happy there.
    Everyone is "happy" with their conference until they leave it. Public statements are nice but sort of meaningless unless they actually announce a change.

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied

The NAIA's strong presence in IN and KY is what makes expansion (whether it is GLVC expansion or G-MAC expansion) to help schools like UIndy, KWC and TNU so difficult. The Crossroads League in IN and the Mid-South in KY are loaded with schools that fit the G-MAC and GLVC profiles. However, the core groupings in those conferences are very cohesive.

Ya, I would be curious if the NAIA steadily melts away into the NCAA over the next 20 years or so. The NAIA seems to be constantly losing schools to D2 and D3 with only a handful going back the other way. GMAC/GLVC/GLIAC expansion would functionally destroy MSFA, Crossroads League, WHAC etc. or at least cause them to merge.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Central State is an HBCU and was ecstatic to get an SIAC invite. They still seem very happy.

NDC seemed very ecstatic to move into the MEC. And their public statements indicate that they are still very happy there.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied
    Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post
    Basically I am rooting for the destruction of the mid state football association in NAIA.
    The NAIA's strong presence in IN and KY is what makes expansion (whether it is GLVC expansion or G-MAC expansion) to help schools like UIndy, KWC and TNU so difficult. The Crossroads League in IN and the Mid-South in KY are loaded with schools that fit the G-MAC and GLVC profiles. However, the core groupings in those conferences are very cohesive.

Leave a comment:

• purduefan11
    replied
    Originally posted by michiganfb View Post

My U Indy contact tells me this is what attracts them. The idea of all private schools in the same "boat" as them.
    Most conferences seem to go that way mostly private, mostly public, mostly HBCUs all in a geographically tight as possible

Leave a comment:

• purduefan11
    replied
    Originally posted by michiganfb View Post

I'd say the GMAC would add Ft Wayne Saint Francis or maybe even Indiana Wesleyan (both good programs and nice stadiums) before Marian. I'd agree Marian is fun to watch and always with some D1 talent but normally those guys are NCAA nonqualifiers. and some thugs.

I admitted love the idea of a Uindy Marian cross town rivalry in D2. I think it is unlikely for many of the same reasons, and that Marian seems to pride themselves on being a NAIA flagship. IWU would be interesting but Ithink they are a package deal with Taylor. Just like Walsh and Malone. SF Fort Wayne would be great too, but very much like Marian. Basically I am rooting for the destruction of the mid state football association in NAIA.

Leave a comment:

• michiganfb
    replied
    Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post
    I agree with the statements of Uindy and NDC being the next logical steps for the GMAC. I believe Northwood will probably stay GLIAC, especially if they add some NAIA schools like Concordia Ann Arbor or Lawrence Tech. In the next few years, I think a lot of schools will be going with the lowest cost options travel wise, especially as we all have been hit hard by COVID. Therefore, I could see KWC and TNU leaving the GMAC for better geographic options. My dream would be a GMAC with the existing Ohio schools, Uindy, Hillsdale, NDC, and adding NAIA Marian in Indy and Saint Francis in Fort Wayne, maybe even Indiana Wesleyan and Taylor. I love the idea of a cross town D2 rivalry in Indianapolis
    I'd say the GMAC would add Ft Wayne Saint Francis or maybe even Indiana Wesleyan (both good programs and nice stadiums) before Marian. I'd agree Marian is fun to watch and always with some D1 talent but normally those guys are NCAA nonqualifiers. and some thugs.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X