Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GetOily View Post
    Here is my issue with this whole process...did we get into the playoff via earned access? More than likely. Did that bump out a deserving Cal (PA) team? Yes. Now, this whole earned access thing is essentially an automatic bid, because you have to figure in most cases, a conference champ is going to finish somewhere in the regional ranking, almost always putting them in the playoff field. So why not just go all-in on the automatic bid like every other sport and remove all doubt and frustration.

Now, to say that Cal deserves to be in more than Findlay? No. Both are deserving and in this case, the fact that Findlay won the conference championship makes the difference. Also, the Oilers strength of schedule is significantly higher than Cal. The Ferris State loss was on the road and in week one against the clear best team in America, and that is a team not in SR1 so that loss is basically a non-factor. Then you look at Lindenwood who is a playoff team and GLVC champion. Those are two losses to two very good conference champs. Yes the loss to Hillsdale isn't great, but that was the runner-up in the G-MAC so, not horrible. The season also includes wins over Ohio Dominican, Ashland, and regionally ranked Tiffin, not to mention a win against UNC Pembroke in what was supposed to be a bye week until the game was added four days before it was played.

Looking at Cal, good win over IUP who at the time was ranked, but that IUP team finished 7-3 with a loss to a bad Edinboro team. Outside that, what's the next best win? Fairmont State who finished 5-6? Cal only played two teams that finished with winning records. I'm not saying it's their fault. It's really on the PSAC for scheduling them so poorly. But, when you stack the resumes up against each other and add in that Findlay was a conference champ? It's no contest really and frankly, Findlay v Cal would be a good game but (and yes I'm a homer) I do think the Oilers win that matchup a majority of the time.
    If you were a Cal fan I could understand you venting some frustration at not being chosen, but you're not. Findlay got the bid, let's be happy about that and move on. Why stir the pot?

Comment

Honestly, I wish that they would give automatic bids to the conference champions and just leave out Earned Access all together. You could still use the regional rankings to seed the teams, but get rid of the foolishness of Earned Access. That way you know heading into the postseason that if you don't win your conference championship, you're fighting for one of three remaining spots. Will it keep some good teams out of the playoffs? Probably. However, it really gives the conference championship some weight. Right now, it really doesn't carry any.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

If you were a Cal fan I could understand you venting some frustration at not being chosen, but you're not. Findlay got the bid, let's be happy about that and move on. Why stir the pot?
        I am happy we got in. Just think it's funny that people argue a conference champ doesn't deserve to be in over a team with one of the worst SOS in the country (albeit, like I said, not entirely their fault).

Also, let's remember it's good to actually be able to have these debates since we didn't get to for a looooooong time

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Homer of the year right here!

Not a Cal fan, and I'm not too disgruntled with how it played out (other than allowing the NE10 to play each other in round 1). Cal tried to schedule a respectable OOC opponent in Fairmont State (5-5 in 2019, 9-2 in 2018, 8-3 in 2017), Fairmont had another ho hum season so no help there. Then the mandated schedule was light so the 2 teams that were good that they played they went 1-1 against.

Findlay did play a very tough schedule. They also got whooped by Ferris (most would), so do you get points for just showing up? They lost to Hillsdale who was 6-5 (1 game better than Fairmont). Lindenwood, another respectable loss. I do agree if they just changed the rule to all conference champs get in then at large for the balance of playoff spots, then there is nothing to dispute here. But that's not the rule, and I think an argument can certainly be made that a 9-1 Cal team should get in over an 8-3 Findlay team. The only argument in Findlay's favor is SOS unless i'm missing something, and really they didn't fair all that well in those games so what does it really matter?
          They definitely got whooped in week 1 there's no denying that. My thought is that the committee decided that an a** whooping in the first week of the season coming off COVID was basically a non-factor. Especially when that wood-shed beating came at the hands of the best team and in my opinion, one of the best players in America in Jared Bernhardt.

And I didn't say Cal wasn't deserving or not good, just that their schedule let them down. If there's anyone to blame, it's the PSAC.

The moral of the story is, just make AQs so all of this can be avoided and there is clarity. Or, like the CFP should, expand the playoff to 8 teams per region (I don't really think they should, but can't help but think, what if)

Comment

Ball control is going to again be a theme it seems like. Biggest concern obviously is Bagent. Our secondary is not good and Bagent can sling it all over the place obviously. And with perfect weather in the forecast, throwing conditions will be prime. The only saving grace is we just came off a game against a QB who actually has more career passing yards than Bagent (hard to imagine) so preparation for this week will be similar to the week prior. I expect a heavy dose of any one of the four tailbacks we can run out there in an effort to control the clock. If Findlay can possess the ball for 34+ minutes, I expect it to be closer than many think. However, if the Rams are slinging it all over the place with no issue and get a couple stops early, and a say, 14-0 lead right away? It could be over quickly.

Plus, I know we've still got some players on this team that were there in 2017 so the Rams do as well. Let's not pretend there isn't any bad blood from that year when, let's face it, a #2 ranked Shepherd probably had aspirations much higher than the first round.

Comment

Ball control is going to again be a theme it seems like. Biggest concern obviously is Bagent. Our secondary is not good and Bagent can sling it all over the place obviously. And with perfect weather in the forecast, throwing conditions will be prime. The only saving grace is we just came off a game against a QB who actually has more career passing yards than Bagent (hard to imagine) so preparation for this week will be similar to the week prior. I expect a heavy dose of any one of the four tailbacks we can run out there in an effort to control the clock. If Findlay can possess the ball for 34+ minutes, I expect it to be closer than many think. However, if the Rams are slinging it all over the place with no issue and get a couple stops early, and a say, 14-0 lead right away? It could be over quickly.

Plus, I know we've still got some players on this team that were there in 2017 so the Rams do as well. Let's not pretend there isn't any bad blood from that year when, let's face it, a #2 ranked Shepherd probably had aspirations much higher than the first round.
              I mean, it did take him an additional year to barely have more passing yards than Bagent, who is a junior.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

I mean, it did take him an additional year to barely have more passing yards than Bagent, who is a junior.
                Ok? Just saying it's another quarterback who throws the ball all over the place and there are comparable traits. Yes Bagent will have more yards in the end, but it's not like we're coming off a game against some slouch QB.

Comment

Ok? Just saying it's another quarterback who throws the ball all over the place and there are comparable traits. Yes Bagent will have more yards in the end, but it's not like we're coming off a game against some slouch QB.
                  That's fair.

Comment

Comment

I would definitely love to see more GMAC teams playing PSAC and MEC teams. NE-10 is a bit far.

Comment

Does anyone know what becomes of the GLVC/GMAC scheduling alliance next year? The games are supposed to be weeks 3 and 4, but with Northwood coming in, the GMAC schedule will likely start in Week 3 with each team having one bye after that. The year after, the bye weeks should be gone with Thomas More coming in.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X