Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMAC team in D2 playoffs ??

Can any GMAC fans make a case for 8-3 FINDLAY to get in via EA over 9-1 CAL or 9-2 SHIP ??

Other than the fact that I'm an Oiler fan and really want them to ...not really. I don't know enough about the selection process to speak on it with any kind of authority.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperOily View Post
      Other than the fact that I'm an Oiler fan and really want them to ...not really. I don't know enough about the selection process to speak on it with any kind of authority.
      Check in at 5:00 on Sunday. Details on GENERAL DISCUSSION thread "2021 NCAA D2 football championship selection show". I'll say just out of a natural sense of pessimism for my VULCANS that THE OILERS get dropped into the final RR at the #9 spot and via the magic (witchcraft) of EARNED ACCESS bump my team out of#7 spot.....which gets you a trip to most likely SHEPHERDSTOWN WV next week.

Comment

I truly think that Findlay will move to 9th, get the EA spot and travel to Shepherdstown next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
          I truly think that Findlay will move to 9th, get the EA spot and travel to Shepherdstown next weekend.
          Should be a solid game to get things rollin' !!!

Comment

Oilers played at Shepherd in 2017 playoffs.

Comment

There is basically no way Findlay doesn't move up to 9th.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                Oilers played at Shepherd in 2017 playoffs.
                Yep ... And I think you're coming to town again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

Yep ... And I think you're coming to town again.

Comment

I wonder if the NCAA will publish the Score Sheets like they do for the Regional Rankings or will they chicken out like years in the past? Don't want us normal fans to know what the numbers REALLY say!!!!

3 loss team in over a 1 loss and TWO 2 loss teams??

Comment

Comment

It's not whether they played a tough schedule or that they are a good team. They can be both and NOT deserving of a playoff slot. If you run the numbers that the NCAA self describes as their selection criteria, it is pretty clear that Findlay falls below one loss Cal and two loss Charleston and Shippensburg. At best, by the NCAA numbers, Findlay is the 10th best team in SR1 and by the NCAA's rules, the 10th best team is not eligible for Earned Access and the playoff seat that get's them.

The NCAA decided that come he11 or high water, the GMAC was going to get a playoff seat regardless of what their own selection criteria said. That's not fair or right. There is a team of players sitting at home that swetted and bled all season to earn their way into the playoffs and the NCAA said, we really don't care about your effort, we want another team that didn't earn their way in to take YOUR slot.

Comment

If Findlay didn't get into the playoffs, the message would be "Don't schedule tough teams, because you won't be rewarded. If you have a bunch of wins over cupcakes, that's good enough." I much prefer them getting in over Cal or Shippensburg than not.

Yeah, I know what the self-described criteria technically is. We both know it doesn't matter in the end.

Comment

Here is my issue with this whole process...did we get into the playoff via earned access? More than likely. Did that bump out a deserving Cal (PA) team? Yes. Now, this whole earned access thing is essentially an automatic bid, because you have to figure in most cases, a conference champ is going to finish somewhere in the regional ranking, almost always putting them in the playoff field. So why not just go all-in on the automatic bid like every other sport and remove all doubt and frustration.

Now, to say that Cal deserves to be in more than Findlay? No. Both are deserving and in this case, the fact that Findlay won the conference championship makes the difference. Also, the Oilers strength of schedule is significantly higher than Cal. The Ferris State loss was on the road and in week one against the clear best team in America, and that is a team not in SR1 so that loss is basically a non-factor. Then you look at Lindenwood who is a playoff team and GLVC champion. Those are two losses to two very good conference champs. Yes the loss to Hillsdale isn't great, but that was the runner-up in the G-MAC so, not horrible. The season also includes wins over Ohio Dominican, Ashland, and regionally ranked Tiffin, not to mention a win against UNC Pembroke in what was supposed to be a bye week until the game was added four days before it was played.

Looking at Cal, good win over IUP who at the time was ranked, but that IUP team finished 7-3 with a loss to a bad Edinboro team. Outside that, what's the next best win? Fairmont State who finished 5-6? Cal only played two teams that finished with winning records. I'm not saying it's their fault. It's really on the PSAC for scheduling them so poorly. But, when you stack the resumes up against each other and add in that Findlay was a conference champ? It's no contest really and frankly, Findlay v Cal would be a good game but (and yes I'm a homer) I do think the Oilers win that matchup a majority of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by GetOily View Post
                              Here is my issue with this whole process...did we get into the playoff via earned access? More than likely. Did that bump out a deserving Cal (PA) team? Yes. Now, this whole earned access thing is essentially an automatic bid, because you have to figure in most cases, a conference champ is going to finish somewhere in the regional ranking, almost always putting them in the playoff field. So why not just go all-in on the automatic bid like every other sport and remove all doubt and frustration.

Now, to say that Cal deserves to be in more than Findlay? No. Both are deserving and in this case, the fact that Findlay won the conference championship makes the difference. Also, the Oilers strength of schedule is significantly higher than Cal. The Ferris State loss was on the road and in week one against the clear best team in America, and that is a team not in SR1 so that loss is basically a non-factor. Then you look at Lindenwood who is a playoff team and GLVC champion. Those are two losses to two very good conference champs. Yes the loss to Hillsdale isn't great, but that was the runner-up in the G-MAC so, not horrible. The season also includes wins over Ohio Dominican, Ashland, and regionally ranked Tiffin, not to mention a win against UNC Pembroke in what was supposed to be a bye week until the game was added four days before it was played.

Looking at Cal, good win over IUP who at the time was ranked, but that IUP team finished 7-3 with a loss to a bad Edinboro team. Outside that, what's the next best win? Fairmont State who finished 5-6? Cal only played two teams that finished with winning records. I'm not saying it's their fault. It's really on the PSAC for scheduling them so poorly. But, when you stack the resumes up against each other and add in that Findlay was a conference champ? It's no contest really and frankly, Findlay v Cal would be a good game but (and yes I'm a homer) I do think the Oilers win that matchup a majority of the time.
                              Homer of the year right here!

Not a Cal fan, and I'm not too disgruntled with how it played out (other than allowing the NE10 to play each other in round 1). Cal tried to schedule a respectable OOC opponent in Fairmont State (5-5 in 2019, 9-2 in 2018, 8-3 in 2017), Fairmont had another ho hum season so no help there. Then the mandated schedule was light so the 2 teams that were good that they played they went 1-1 against.

Findlay did play a very tough schedule. They also got whooped by Ferris (most would), so do you get points for just showing up? They lost to Hillsdale who was 6-5 (1 game better than Fairmont). Lindenwood, another respectable loss. I do agree if they just changed the rule to all conference champs get in then at large for the balance of playoff spots, then there is nothing to dispute here. But that's not the rule, and I think an argument can certainly be made that a 9-1 Cal team should get in over an 8-3 Findlay team. The only argument in Findlay's favor is SOS unless i'm missing something, and really they didn't fair all that well in those games so what does it really matter?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X