Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Portal - Over 1000 DII Players

The transfer portal is blowing up and destroying many DII teams and players lives. I wish they would make some changes to the portal but life is the Wild West right now and teams need to work even harder to remain competitive. For example Hillsdale who went 5-6 last year are losing their 3 first team all conference players to the portal. One should go, Isaac Teslaa needs to go and find out how good he is and I believe he is headed to Iowa. The other 2 players are heading to other DII schools if they are lucky. This seems to be the norm as I look around the DII landscape as many top players on every team has entered the portal. The players who can jump to DI and get a full scholarship then great for them but players just jumping to another team for a “fresh start” just rubs me the wrong way. Way too many young men not getting their college degrees and most of the DII transfer players never find another home and are out of college. There is no more brotherhood in todays NCAA locker rooms. No play for the guy next to you as it’s free agency every year for these young men. Sometimes I think some of these guys get in the portal so they can get recruited again and feel that love from coaches. Players after you sign and transfer that love from the coach is gone just like it was before and now you have to earn your spot like you didn’t do before and that’s why you are in the portal. Also DII players who are 22 and 23 years old transferring to rival DII schools for 1 year is a slap in the face to the school that just developed you the last 4 to 5 years until you FINALLY became a player. All players that transfer will never have a college home to come back to. I know as a former DII player I still love and feel pride when I walk back onto the campus I played on and professors and others come and talk to me. The hard feelings a player leaves behind is not forgotten when they leave in the transfer portal to a rival school. Get that degree and work to win a championship for the team that believed in you from the start, not when you finally became good enough for another school to use you for 1 year. Them coaches don’t care about you they just care about winning and saving their jobs. You mean nothing to those portal coaches and the coaches who would of been there for you to put on your resume and help you in life are now gone. It’s just a slap in the face to a coach but for the players who truly can go DI then go represent the DII and dominate!! What GMAC players has anyone heard of leaving?

This is so good. Been saying the same thing.
    Also you will not see school records being made or broken. It usually takes 3 or 4 years for a player to play long enough at a school to break school records.
    And what about conference honors? You can’t win those every year if you leave.
    The portal is changing college football or exploiting this “me” generation.

#BlazerNation

Comment

I disagree with a lot of this. There's real money involved now, so you can't just crap on a guy for chasing it. Big picture, it's bad for d2 players overall. 88% of them end up out of football.

As far as the grad student thing goes, there is so much more to it than football. Doing post grad work at a school other than your undergrad is very common. It's encouraged, even. Whining about or holding it against athletes who do the same is silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
        I disagree with a lot of this. There's real money involved now, so you can't just crap on a guy for chasing it. Big picture, it's bad for d2 players overall. 88% of them end up out of football.

As far as the grad student thing goes, there is so much more to it than football. Doing post grad work at a school other than your undergrad is very common. It's encouraged, even. Whining about or holding it against athletes who do the same is silly.
        So what do you exactly disagree with? You say you disagree with a lot of this then point out you agree it’s bad for the DII players? You do know this is a DII board right? I also said if you are DII and can go DI to chase the money, so that’s 2 things you agree with. Your point about the grad transfer thing might be true if any of the grad transfers took more than 12 credits and finished the semester but 90% of grad transfers don’t. Most players transfer to schools that don’t even offer what they got their undergraduate degrees in. The grad transfer rule might help some true but the majority use it to go to another school and don’t even finish a semester. Now maybe that doesn’t happen at the great Pitt State but it happens everywhere else. Thanks for agreeing with most of my stuff though.

Comment

I'm not sure this is much different then it was before. Mainly the biggest difference is your going to see some of the top 1% in D2 football get opportunities at the D1 level. I'm sure most on here don't follow the D2 womens basketball scene much, but that happened a lot this past year. Glenville State won the championship, the next week 2-3 of their best players were off to D1 schools. Even in the GMAC, Walsh's best player after having the best season in school history, left for a D1 school. If you think you can get an opportunity that is better then you have now, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post

So what do you exactly disagree with? You say you disagree with a lot of this then point out you agree it’s bad for the DII players? You do know this is a DII board right? I also said if you are DII and can go DI to chase the money, so that’s 2 things you agree with. Your point about the grad transfer thing might be true if any of the grad transfers took more than 12 credits and finished the semester but 90% of grad transfers don’t. Most players transfer to schools that don’t even offer what they got their undergraduate degrees in. The grad transfer rule might help some true but the majority use it to go to another school and don’t even finish a semester. Now maybe that doesn’t happen at the great Pitt State but it happens everywhere else. Thanks for agreeing with most of my stuff though.
            What I disagree with is you taking the decisions of others so personally and attacking/labeling players for those decisions.

I disagree that the majority of grad transfers in D2 are doing it just for athletics. In D1, that's probably the case, especially with the money involved, but I'm not buying that as the case in d2. Sure it happens some with pro prospects like Flowers at Pitt last year, but it's still more the exception than the rule.

Comment

What I disagree with is you taking the decisions of others so personally and attacking/labeling players for those decisions.

I disagree that the majority of grad transfers in D2 are doing it just for athletics. In D1, that's probably the case, especially with the money involved, but I'm not buying that as the case in d2. Sure it happens some with pro prospects like Flowers at Pitt last year, but it's still more the exception than the rule.
              You appear just to be a troll looking to disagree over anything. Not sure where you are getting your accusations but glad I moved you to respond. Have a great day or you can disagree with that too.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post

You appear just to be a troll looking to disagree over anything. Not sure where you are getting your accusations but glad I moved you to respond. Have a great day or you can disagree with that too.
                SVSUAlum, you have 40 posts and yet you call PredatoryPrimate, who has over 23K in posts a Troll? While I'm not a Pitt State fan, or even a D2 proponent anymore, (NAIA guy now), I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that you are so unaware of your position here. Did the Cardinals lose a guy or two? someone important? I get change is tough to handle, but this is the new world; suck it up.

PrimaryP? where did you get that info on 88% of the players in the portal from D2 end up out of football?

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post

SVSUAlum, you have 40 posts and yet you call PredatoryPrimate, who has over 23K in posts a Troll? While I'm not a Pitt State fan, or even a D2 proponent anymore, (NAIA guy now), I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that you are so unaware of your position here. Did the Cardinals lose a guy or two? someone important? I get change is tough to handle, but this is the new world; suck it up.

PrimaryP? where did you get that info on 88% of the players in the portal from D2 end up out of football?
                  Thanks mister “badboy” for letting me know my position on the board. Not sure if you are serious as a troll could be defined as someone with 23k posts. Anyways don’t want to mess with a guy tough enough to put badboy as part of his screen name as you have to be one scary dude. Oh and yes SVSU did lose some players but we will be fine besides having to play in the hardest conference in the country. Have fun in the NAIA world.

Comment

As mentioned earlier, Hillsdale really got hit hard by this but in the immortal words of Billy Tubbs, "Don't get mad, get better." You have to have strong enough relationships and all of the other pieces of the fit for kids to want to stay.

Teslaa has PAC 12 offers in hand from Coach Prime's Colorado and Arizona. Big 10 offers from Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Big 12 offers from Baylor, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, and future member Houston. An ACC offer from the 'Canes and SEC offers from A&M, Arkansas, and that dump in Oxford. Pretty amazing for a Hillsdale kid who was a high school quarterback.

I am excited to see where he ends up. As a Mississippi State dad, I hope it's not Ole Miss. I do fear D2 becoming just a stepping stone (essentially a JUCO) for kids like this. It will be interesting to see not only where he lands and how he performs against Power 5 secondaries.

Comment

"88% of players end up out of football."

I was speaking with a college football administrator who unequivocally told me any player from his school that entered the portal would NOT be allowed to play for his school ever again. In other words, putting your toe In the water to see if the grass was greener meant never returning to your original pasture. Period. Big period. You may have been a benchwarmer. You may have been a backup. You may have been a starter. You may have been a star. Whatever........you are GONE from his school. Don't even think about pleading for a second chance.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

"88% of players end up out of football."

I was speaking with a college football administrator who unequivocally told me any player from his school that entered the portal would NOT be allowed to play for his school ever again. In other words, putting your toe In the water to see if the grass was greener meant never returning to your original pasture. Period. Big period. You may have been a benchwarmer. You may have been a backup. You may have been a starter. You may have been a star. Whatever........you are GONE from his school. Don't even think about pleading for a second chance.
                        Does he wear a t-shirt that says. "I hate the people I'm supposed to be here to help" or does he go with something short like "terrible at my job" or "petty mfer"

Comment

Where's the D2 list online?

Comment

There is no public access to it. Sites like 247 compile all of the data that gets shared on social media for the big schools onto their sites, but there isn't a spot to go see for D2...at least that I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by chargerblue View Post
                              There is no public access to it. Sites like 247 compile all of the data that gets shared on social media for the big schools onto their sites, but there isn't a spot to go see for D2...at least that I can find.
                              I like 24/7, too bad they don't cover D2. :(

​​​​​​
                              Last edited by crixus; 01-07-2023, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X