• Show
Clear All

• Frostburg is in

http://mountaineast.org/news/2018/7/...onference.aspx

Re: Frostburg is in

Great news!!!!

Comment

Guess my source was right! Tremendous addition for the MEC...Opens us Maryland to the conference and will give Maryland athletes the opportunity to maximize the scholarship money they receive!

Looking forward to playing them for the Panhandle Trophy!!!

Comment

Maybe this was a motivating factor for Shepherd to leave?

Comment

NEXT ???

Comment

Its a shame that school is out of session and Frostburg's student newspaper didn't get to break the big news. They were ahead of this from the start. I have missed their updates.

Comment

Provided the NCAA approves their D2 membership, they'll start playing MEC teams in 2019-20. Which means the earliest they can be a full member (read playoff-eligible) is 2022-23.

So unless someone else decides to bolt, we're back to 11 teams. Who joins next and when?

Comment

Their football team is pretty good, their basketball teams on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                  Maybe this was a motivating factor for Shepherd to leave?
                  Quite possible. It will be interesting to see how the recruiting plays out. Shepherd has always been heavily filled with Maryland players...Interesting to see if these players now opt for Frostburg and it's family friendly in-state tuition.

Comment

Originally posted by CardinalAlum View Post
                    Provided the NCAA approves their D2 membership, they'll start playing MEC teams in 2019-20. Which means the earliest they can be a full member (read playoff-eligible) is 2022-23.

So unless someone else decides to bolt, we're back to 11 teams. Who joins next and when?
                    If memory serves me, the NCAA has been a bit inconsistent when it comes to when a game v a transitioning team "counted" as a DII contest. I think that generally first year transitioning teams do not count as DII contests but second and third year teams do count.

As for who joins next...Stea1th would probably say D&E (or Ohio Valley or AB) in some sort of swam for NDC and Urbana...I'd say Ashland and FOUR other teams...Sportsnut would say AB and UNCP + D&E.

But if pushed, I'd say AB is the most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                      Quite possible. It will be interesting to see how the recruiting plays out. Shepherd has always been heavily filled with Maryland players...Interesting to see if these players now opt for Frostburg and it's family friendly in-state tuition.
                      Definitely would be a big competitor to Shepherd's recruiting area in Maryland. I'm hoping Shepherd tries to schedule them for OOC so that we can get a nice rivalry started with such close proximity, it would help to beat them while they are getting acclimated to help with recruiting :wink:

Comment

All Shepherd has to say, do you want to play in the MEC or play in the PSAC....

Comment

Originally posted by RamPride View Post
                          All Shepherd has to say, do you want to play in the MEC or play in the PSAC....
                          And the potential recruits will say, I thought Shepherd was in West Virginia. WHY are they playing in the Pennsylvania conference?? What did you say the out of state tuition was??

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                            Definitely would be a big competitor to Shepherd's recruiting area in Maryland. I'm hoping Shepherd tries to schedule them for OOC so that we can get a nice rivalry started with such close proximity, it would help to beat them while they are getting acclimated to help with recruiting :wink:
                            Can't schedule them...Drive is too far for Shepherd to afford!! :tongue:

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              If memory serves me, the NCAA has been a bit inconsistent when it comes to when a game v a transitioning team "counted" as a DII contest. I think that generally first year transitioning teams do not count as DII contests but second and third year teams do count.

As for who joins next...Stea1th would probably say D&E (or Ohio Valley or AB) in some sort of swam for NDC and Urbana...I'd say Ashland and FOUR other teams...Sportsnut would say AB and UNCP + D&E.

But if pushed, I'd say AB is the most likely.

The D&E stuff came from that Collegiate Consulting tweet and from wherever Sportsnut heard the rumor he mentioned earlier. Given their lack of football, D&E doesn't make as much sense as AB.

I think AB has always been the presumed next man up.

Now, if NDC (or Urbana) then fills AB's GMAC spot, then I think you could start to see some less-expected names come up.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X