Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEC Media Day Today

MEC had their media day today. Typical coach speak from the coaches presentations with a couple of exceptions. Here are the highlights as I see them:

MEC has a winning record in regional playoffs against all other Atlantic/SR1 opponents.
    Conf will sponsor 20 sports this coming year and expects to sponsor 22 or 23 sports by 2020.
    Conf Membership Committee is in the process of reviewing several applications for membership (The Commish did not give names!).
    Our Supervisor of Officials, Gene Starator was one of the officials for Super Bowl 52.

Perhaps because he's new, the only coach that gave any real information was McCook. His key tid bits were:

Shepherd lost two offensive coaches after he was hired. All the defensive coaches returned.
    Defense will have to lead the way.
    Deonte Glover has been moved to defense.
    Front runner to start at RB is Ty Hebron.
    Front runner to start at QB is Steven Curans.
    The QB situation keeps him up at night.

Reading between the lines here but it appears that Shepherd and McCook are not kicking off or even suspending Glover for his prostitution arrest. Guess they are cool with that.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 08-02-2018, 02:15 PM.

Re: MEC Media Day Today

Oh...And Wheeling Jesuit will have 76 players in camp.

Comment

Comment

Last I looked - it depends how the school classified the team

Are they a club this year or varsity?

JV uses a season just like varsity... a stand alone club team does not - the rule changes in 2013 and have not looked at it hard in awhile

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          Our Supervisor of Officials, Gene Starator was one of the officials for Super Bowl 52.

Your Supervisor of Officials is a CAL U alum. Mole ????

Comment

I watched the video. Reid must have downed a few Red Bulls before he got up there. Man on fire!

Comment

Can some verify whether this Youtube clip is the entire Media Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhuVI51Yl1k

Comment

I don't really know. I would think that if all (some) are getting athletically based financial aid, it would count as one of their 10 semesters of DII eligibility AND since they are "competing" it would also count as one of their four "on-field" years. NCAA rules are a little hard to decipher on things like this.

Seems like most (some?) "new" DII football programs are on a 4 year arc...really bad their first JV/club year...bad but much improved their second year...at or near 500 their third...pretty good their fourth (7-8 win territory). They tend to fall off the following year(s). Guess that has to do with playing together as a unit for the better part of four years. I'd look for the same from WJU.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  MEC had their media day today. Typical coach speak from the coaches presentations with a couple of exceptions. Here are the highlights as I see them:

MEC has a winning record in regional playoffs against all other Atlantic/SR1 opponents.
                  Conf will sponsor 20 sports this coming year and expects to sponsor 22 or 23 sports by 2020.
                  Conf Membership Committee is in the process of reviewing several applications for membership (The Commish did not give names!).

Perhaps because he's new, the only coach that gave any real information was McCook. His key tid bits were:

Shepherd lost two offensive coaches after he was hired. All the defensive coaches returned.
                  Defense will have to lead the way.
                  Deonte Glover has been moved to defense.
                  Front runner to start at RB is Ty Hebron.
                  Front runner to start at QB is Steven Curans.
                  The QB situation keeps him up at night.

Reading between the lines here but it appears that Shepherd and McCook are not kicking off or even suspending Glover for his prostitution arrest. Guess they are cool with that.

A full capsule on Shepherd out of Boat? Are you a 'Shepherd Man' or a WL fan?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

He has be riding up and down the Potomac a lot lately.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      Naw...I've got a lot of respect for the Shepherd football success but NEVER a 'Shepherd Man!!' Simple case of the other coaches giving almost nothing beyond "Coach Speak" and new HC McCook giving some actual insight.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X