Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topper912
    replied
    Top to bottom the MEC is one of the worst football conferences in all of D2. Especially now that Shepherd is gone. We are a really good basketball conference though. Not sure about other sports.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
    Frostburg is the real deal. Congrats to the Bobcats! Love seeing teams from Maryland succeed.

Is the talent gap between Division 2 and Division 3 football narrower than I thought? Because I expected Frostburg to struggle hard for a few years in D2. Hell, I would have expected Mount Union, Wisconsin-Whitewater, and or Mary Hardin Baylor to struggle if they were inserted into D2 as well. We're at a point now where Frostburg winning the MEC in year one appears to be a real possibility.

You have to see what they do against Charleston and, in particular, ND. FSU hasn't exactly played a tough schedule so far in the very top heavy MEC.

The bottom of D2 is basically D3. ND will give you a true idea of what level they are at.

West Liberty and those teams are a far cry from the top D2 teams.

They are having a good year. But the D2/D3 comments may not be in the right context. With Shepherd gone and aside from ND, the MEC is a pretty light football conference.

Leave a comment:

• Real_FSU_47
    replied
    Mount union would run d2 or at least be a top 10 team

Leave a comment:

• 4_tattoos
    replied
    Frostburg is the real deal. Congrats to the Bobcats! Love seeing teams from Maryland succeed.

Is the talent gap between Division 2 and Division 3 football narrower than I thought? Because I expected Frostburg to struggle hard for a few years in D2. Hell, I would have expected Mount Union, Wisconsin-Whitewater, and or Mary Hardin Baylor to struggle if they were inserted into D2 as well. We're at a point now where Frostburg winning the MEC in year one appears to be a real possibility.

Leave a comment:

• Real_FSU_47
    replied
    Called it

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied
    Coach Fitzgerald is the MEC Coach of the Year...and you can BOOK IT!!

Leave a comment:

• Real_FSU_47
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Real_FSU_47
    replied
    One more td seals the game for frostburg

Leave a comment:

• Real_FSU_47
    replied
    If frostburg can run this game is over

Leave a comment:

• 4_tattoos
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Of course, MAYBE we could get UMES to drop DOWN to DII and join the MEC along with Salisbury??!! I mean, since we are talking about things that ain't going to happen!!
    If UMES moved down to D2 the logical conference choice for them would be the CIAA. UMES was actually a CIAA member once upon a time, so joining the MEC or PSAC would make no sense. Unless a new administration comes in that isn't stuck on the D1 ego trip, it won't happen. Maintaining D1 status is actually important to the UMES administration *shrugs and rolls eyes*

Maybe the University System of Maryland could force it they cared enough to. Does any state university system even have that type of authority over it's member schools' athletic programs?

Leave a comment:

• Raymond Franze
    replied
    Originally posted by Real_FSU_47 View Post
    Salisbury's women's Field Hockey and Men's LAX are their two biggest programs. They are usually ranked top 3 each year. One of the issues we saw as we moved up is that there are not many D2 schools with LAX or Field hockey in the region so our teams are traveling to Missouri and new england to play matches. Which is why the jump to D1 has been mentioned in many conversations.

Leave a comment:

• Real_FSU_47
    replied
    Salisbury's women's Field Hockey and Men's LAX are their two biggest programs. They are usually ranked top 3 each year. One of the issues we saw as we moved up is that there are not many D2 schools with LAX or Field hockey in the region so our teams are traveling to Missouri and new england to play matches. Which is why the jump to D1 has been mentioned in many conversations.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    UMES a D1 program...Yea, that's a good joke!!!

They would be a really good DII just as Frostburg seems to be showing. But for it to happen some pretty major other things would need to take place. In the MEC's case, they would probably need to add a couple of other programs in Southeastern PA/Northern MD and then divide the conf in east/west divisions. For argument sake, say the MEC added Stevenson MD and Lincoln PA along with Salisbury and then an Ohio team as a balance. Again, purely speculation. Don't see it happening.

Of course, MAYBE we could get UMES to drop DOWN to DII and join the MEC along with Salisbury??!! I mean, since we are talking about things that ain't going to happen!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I'd doubt Salisbury would even be capable of following the "Georgetown model." Just soooooo many reasons but chief among them is B A S K E T B A L L!!!! Basketball at Georgetown dominates athletics for the Hoyas. And I'm not talking about by a little bit either. All other sports take seats in the back of the Georgetown sports bus...no, wait, other sports at Georgetown are not even aloud ON the same bus as Georgetown basketball...HECK, they aren't even aloud to use the same road as Georgetown basketball.

I don't think Salisbury has any sport that dominates their sport land scape like Georgetown basketball dominates the Hoya landscape.
    The MD Eastern Shore already has a D1 program. UMES. LOL.

Salisbury would be an ideal candidate for D2. D1 is a pretty big reach. As discussed previously, though, they have a geography issue with what D2 conference they'd join. Those would be some awfully long road trips.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

I guess that is why they are a non-athletic-scholarship football program. I wonder will Salisbury follow suit to go D-1....
    I'd doubt Salisbury would even be capable of following the "Georgetown model." Just soooooo many reasons but chief among them is B A S K E T B A L L!!!! Basketball at Georgetown dominates athletics for the Hoyas. And I'm not talking about by a little bit either. All other sports take seats in the back of the Georgetown sports bus...no, wait, other sports at Georgetown are not even aloud ON the same bus as Georgetown basketball...HECK, they aren't even aloud to use the same road as Georgetown basketball.

I don't think Salisbury has any sport that dominates their sport land scape like Georgetown basketball dominates the Hoya landscape.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X