Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alderson Broaddus to the Mountain East

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Don't know. Just guessing but I would say Central State and Pikeville. I've heard that a CIAA school also expressed interest and a D3 in either Ohio or western PA.
    Who's saying D3 in West Pa or Ohio ??? He must own a travel agency or bus line.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

      Who's saying D3 in West Pa or Ohio ??? He must own a travel agency or bus line.
      ??what??

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        ??what??
        Misread your thoughts, my bad. Old eyes.

        Comment


        • #19
          Central State would be a logical pick based on geography. I am sure travel is a killer for them in the SIAC.

          Comment


          • #20
            Geographically & financially it makes sense for Alderson Broaddus to be in the MEC. I'll miss GMAC teams, but I look forward to seeing my Battlers play more in West "by God" Virginia.
            Last edited by crixus; 06-09-2020, 07:55 PM.
            Bring back Humboldt State football.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
              Central State would be a logical pick based on geography. I am sure travel is a killer for them in the SIAC.
              They had the same problem when applying for MEC membership that they had when they were asked to comply with the G-MAC bylaws or be booted from the conference. The amount of championship sports sponsored by their athletic department is not in compliance. They would not start sports to comply with the G-MAC when they were dismissed/left for the SIAC....at least I thought that is how it went down.

              They don't meet 2.5.1 of the MEC membership qualification in that they sponsor football and only 7 other conference championship sports. They need to have 9 conference sports in their athletic program. They would not comply with 3.3 core sport provisions where they must sponsor baseball and softball. Central State athletic department pretty much operates on the very bare minimum. Yes, men's and women's cross-country and track & field are good sports. But they are generally the easiest to schedule for an AD because they are usually invitational schedules where 8 to 16 schools show up in an invitational format. That is four of their sports. Central State hurts themselves by not offering baseball, softball and/or soccer. That is going to be a tough sell for most conferences.
              Last edited by JDonAB92; 06-10-2020, 07:12 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Are there rumors that CSU is unhappy in the SIAC? They seem to have a pretty good gig there. They really only do a lot of traveling for FB and BB. As JDon said, track and CC are "show up for the championship" sports. Womens VB somehow gets all their SIAC games in during two extended weekend multi-team events. I think the SIAC understands that it has a big conference footprint and works with the schools (like doing the volleyball crossover events) to minimize the travel impact. I think its possible that CSU would actually log more miles if they joined a WV-based conference and had to add sports that they really didn't want to and had a more traditional conference schedule.

                Anyway, I just hadn't heard that they were unhappy. My experience with CSU is that they are really only passionate about FB and BB (to a lesser extent) and don't want to spend the effort on the "minor" sports. The SIAC seems like a really good fit despite the distance.




                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  Ahhhhh...History of the MEC, Cliff Notes version:

                  There was the WVIAC which was made up of football playing schools, and not football playing schools. The football playing schools wanted the conference as a whole to commit more effort (and resources) to becoming national powers. The non-football playing schools treated intercollegiate athletics as little more than intermural. This became more and more contensous, particularly when NCAA $'s were distributed by the conf with non-football playing schools demanding and equal slice of the pie even though they were doing nothing to earn the $'s. AB, which had been one of the non-football playing schools and voted acordingly, decided to start a football program and commit more to inter-collegiate athletics. Along came UVa-Wise which was an NAIA program looking to step up to DII and start a football program to boot. AB voted along with the other WVIAC football playing schools to foster and sponsor this process. Process went through several votes over the course of a year with AB voting in favor on each of those occasions. Then came the day of the final vote by the WVIAC on weather to formally sponsor UVa-Wise as it moved through the NCAA transition phase to DII. On that occasion, AB chose to drop a bomb and vote against UVa-Wise joining the WVIAC. At that point, the conference unravelled pretty quickly with the football playing schools voting to leave the WVIAC and start a new conference. The truely funny part was that AB was shocked when they weren't invited to join the MEC!!!

                  There were also comments made by AB's HC and President (they were brothers) about how AB was going to show the WVIAC football playing schools how it was done which didn't really sit well with the other WVIAC schools.

                  As for Salem, don't know why they stopped football after 1987. I would imagine that it was a financial decision of some sort. Worth noting, they left the WVIAC in 2010 to become a DII independent.
                  Thanks for your knowledge I appreciate it. I personally believe that if you don’t have all the money sports, you shouldn’t get the money. Before this started, I was surprised to read that D and E was readmitted to the conference since they don’t have football and in looking at their history, not much athletic success.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post

                    They had the same problem when applying for MEC membership that they had when they were asked to comply with the G-MAC bylaws or be booted from the conference. The amount of championship sports sponsored by their athletic department is not in compliance. They would not start sports to comply with the G-MAC when they were dismissed/left for the SIAC....at least I thought that is how it went down.

                    They don't meet 2.5.1 of the MEC membership qualification in that they sponsor football and only 7 other conference championship sports. They need to have 9 conference sports in their athletic program. They would not comply with 3.3 core sport provisions where they must sponsor baseball and softball. Central State athletic department pretty much operates on the very bare minimum. Yes, men's and women's cross-country and track & field are good sports. But they are generally the easiest to schedule for an AD because they are usually invitational schedules where 8 to 16 schools show up in an invitational format. That is four of their sports. Central State hurts themselves by not offering baseball, softball and/or soccer. That is going to be a tough sell for most conferences.
                    I note that D and E doesn't meet the requirements either.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Tdobson View Post

                      Thanks for your knowledge I appreciate it. I personally believe that if you don’t have all the money sports, you shouldn’t get the money. Before this started, I was surprised to read that D and E was readmitted to the conference since they don’t have football and in looking at their history, not much athletic success.
                      Me also. Made no sense from any standpoint! And this was after FINALLY holding Wheelings feet to the fire about starting a football program or be expelled ftom the conference! I also find in head scratching that the Commish would dismiss Salem joining the MEC and site the fact that they don't sponsor football? This after just making an exception for D&E! Don't get me wrong, I'm not advicating for Salem being permitted to join, just don't lie about the reason!!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

                        I note that D and E doesn't meet the requirements either.
                        Correct. They don't sponsor football.

                        3.3.1 states that the board of directors may grant an exception to this core sport requirement with a 2/3 vote.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

                          How soon before NDC announces to GMAC ?
                          Looking at the revised MEC map (c/o Wikipedia), I can't help but wonder the same thing.

                          Bring back Humboldt State football.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                            Ahhhhh...History of the MEC, Cliff Notes version:

                            There was the WVIAC which was made up of football playing schools, and not football playing schools. The football playing schools wanted the conference as a whole to commit more effort (and resources) to becoming national powers. The non-football playing schools treated intercollegiate athletics as little more than intermural. This became more and more contensous, particularly when NCAA $'s were distributed by the conf with non-football playing schools demanding and equal slice of the pie even though they were doing nothing to earn the $'s. AB, which had been one of the non-football playing schools and voted acordingly, decided to start a football program and commit more to inter-collegiate athletics. Along came UVa-Wise which was an NAIA program looking to step up to DII and start a football program to boot. AB voted along with the other WVIAC football playing schools to foster and sponsor this process. Process went through several votes over the course of a year with AB voting in favor on each of those occasions. Then came the day of the final vote by the WVIAC on weather to formally sponsor UVa-Wise as it moved through the NCAA transition phase to DII. On that occasion, AB chose to drop a bomb and vote against UVa-Wise joining the WVIAC. At that point, the conference unravelled pretty quickly with the football playing schools voting to leave the WVIAC and start a new conference. The truely funny part was that AB was shocked when they weren't invited to join the MEC!!!

                            There were also comments made by AB's HC and President (they were brothers) about how AB was going to show the WVIAC football playing schools how it was done which didn't really sit well with the other WVIAC schools.

                            As for Salem, don't know why they stopped football after 1987. I would imagine that it was a financial decision of some sort. Worth noting, they left the WVIAC in 2010 to become a DII independent.
                            Salem was, at one point, part of the G-MAC when that league was created. I seem to recall that the G-MAC essentially kicked Salem out of the league a few years ago (I'm sure someone could correct me if I'm wrong).
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                              Are there rumors that CSU is unhappy in the SIAC? They seem to have a pretty good gig there. They really only do a lot of traveling for FB and BB. As JDon said, track and CC are "show up for the championship" sports. Womens VB somehow gets all their SIAC games in during two extended weekend multi-team events. I think the SIAC understands that it has a big conference footprint and works with the schools (like doing the volleyball crossover events) to minimize the travel impact. I think its possible that CSU would actually log more miles if they joined a WV-based conference and had to add sports that they really didn't want to and had a more traditional conference schedule.

                              Anyway, I just hadn't heard that they were unhappy. My experience with CSU is that they are really only passionate about FB and BB (to a lesser extent) and don't want to spend the effort on the "minor" sports. The SIAC seems like a really good fit despite the distance.
                              It could also be the "prestige" (for lack of a better word) of being part of an HBCU league. That said, I would find it hard to believe that the mileage wouldn't be worse in the SIAC compared to the MEC, but I doubt CSU has the budget to add the core sports required to be an MEC member.
                              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post

                                Correct. They don't sponsor football.

                                3.3.1 states that the board of directors may grant an exception to this core sport requirement with a 2/3 vote.

                                That map is funny. You could easily make a case ND would be a good fit in the PSAC West. Of the three ... the MEC is their worst travel option. The PSAC West, like the GMAC, would give them several close rivalries (Edinboro, Slippery Rock, Gannon, Mercyhurst).

                                Sounds far-fetched but ... so did Shepherd joining the PSAC.


                                (Note: Replied to wrong message but nonetheless).


                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X