Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSCfan1275 View Post
    With Bluefield State bringing back football, would it be a good addition to the MEC? Any thoughts out there?
    I would think that the addition of 11 sports in addition to football, that helps Bluefield State's chances of joining the MEC.

https://go-bstate.com/general/2020-2...20200816sp7mw3

Yet, I wonder if the CIAA would consider Bluefield State as a potential future member, considering that BSC is considered an HBCU and isn't too far from some of the North Carolina CIAA schools.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Bluefield State will have 22 sports, 8 sports (2 current, 6 new) are not sponsored by the CIAA. Same situation as Chowan. The CIAA would still have less than 6 teams in those 8 non-sponsored sports such as Baseball and Men's Tennis even with the addition of BSC. Meanwhile, the MEC sponsors 21 of the 22 sports including Acrobatics & Tumbling; the 1 exception is Bowling.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I would think that the addition of 11 sports in addition to football, that helps Bluefield State's chances of joining the MEC.

https://go-bstate.com/general/2020-2...20200816sp7mw3

Yet, I wonder if the CIAA would consider Bluefield State as a potential future member, considering that BSC is considered an HBCU and isn't too far from some of the North Carolina CIAA schools.
        I think Bluefield State would be a great addition for the CIAA. That said, I think they are really angling for a MEC membership. Yes, they are an HBCU and that seems to favor the CIAA but that seems to be the only thing favoring them. Here is a partial list of things that favor MEC membership:

1. BSC is a WV public college like five of the current MEC members.
        2. BSC's sports additions seems to indicate they are aligning their sports offerings with the MEC.
        3. BSC adding football is especially telling. Leaving D&E out of the equation (still don't understand that one) the MEC wants schools that have football. BSC starting a team is a direct indication of were they want to be.
        4. Had BSC been looking for a CIAA invitation, they probably would have started different sports, not started football and joined the CIAA as a non-football playing member.
        5. BSC would have a HBCU "running mate" in the form of WV State in the MEC. Certainly not the same as the numbers in the CIAA, but not like they would be alone.
        6. BSC President Robin Capehart is the former president of a MEC school and was one of the leaders in the creation of the MEC. I would imagine he would like nothing more that to rejoin the MEC President's Counsel.

Like I've said, not advocating for BSC to be offered a membership, yet. But it would give the MEC a 13 football team alignment. Tantalizing close to 14 teams which would give them the opportunity to break into a N/S division alignment, probably as such:

MEC North
        NDC
        WU
        WLU
        Fairmont
        Frostburg
        AB
        ???

MEC South
        WVW
        Glenville
        UC
        WV State
        Concord
        BSC
        UNCP

So what would that do for the MEC? Couple of things:

1. The ability to have a Conference Championship Game.
        2. Ability to reduce travel for all conference teams.
        3. Reduce travel specifically for NDC which seems to be the crux of concerns for some of the posters on this board.

Couple of questions:

1. Will UNCP stick around?
        2. Who would the 14th team be?

Some partial answers:

1. For the time being, yes. Lots of speculation on this board primarily that the Peachbelt Conference is trying to start football. I haven't read anything official or even quasi official saying that is the Peachbelt's intention/desire. They seem to be in the same position as the MEC going to 14 teams...question is who do they get to join? But while the MEC is probably looking for one team, they are looking for three to get to 8 football teams.
        2. While I hate to say it, the most logical is Seton Hill. Hate to say it because they bring nothing to the table except an existing football team. Beyond them, it effectively becomes a guessing game of which D3 might be enticed to do what Frostburg is in the process of doing. Of course, there is a lot of turbulance in the PSAC right now among the PASSHE schools so if there is a resulting realignment, some of the non-PASSHE schools may decide to cut and run.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

6. BSC President Robin Capehart is the former president of a MEC school and was one of the leaders in the creation of the MEC. I would imagine he would like nothing more that to rejoin the MEC President's Counsel.

^^^ I think that's the important factor.

I think that BSC is UNCP's replacement. UNCP is just using the MEC as a place to park some sports for now (they already announced that they will be moving swimming & diving, indoor track & field and wrestling from MEC to Conference Carolinas after this year)
          Last edited by Stea1th; 09-04-2020, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post

^^^ I think that's the important factor.

I think that BSC is UNCP's replacement. UNCP is just using the MEC as a place to park some sports for now (they already announced that they will be moving swimming & diving, indoor track & field and wrestling from MEC to Conference Carolinas after this year)
            Wouldn't say THE most, but I think it is important.

How long UNCP stays in the MEC for football depends on Conference Carolina's desire to sponsor football AND their ability to bring in sufficient football playing schools to allow them to sponsor it. Beyond this message board, I don't recall seeing anything that indicated the conference was looking to do that OR sufficient new football playing schools that have committed to join to make that happen. Until that happens, I think UNCP stays in the MEC for football it to make that happen. Worth noting that UNCP has been around from a football standpoint for 10 or so years now. MULTIPLE conferences have had the opportunity to invite them in and that hasn't happened. Only conference to do that is the MEC. Sure, conference alliances seem to change at the drop of a hat now days, but for right now, we have UNCP as an associate member and other conferences don't.

I note concerning CC and football. There is nothing stopping them from doing what the GMAC did before they got to 6 football playing schools. They could "sponsor" it at any number of schools even though it was insufficient to receive official NCAA backing. So far, they haven't chosen to do that...Wonder why that is??
            Last edited by boatcapt; 09-10-2020, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't say THE most, but I think it is important.

How long UNCP stays in the MEC for football depends on Conference Carolina's desire to sponsor football AND their ability to bring in sufficient football playing schools to allow them to sponsor it. Beyond this message board, I don't recall seeing anything that indicated the conference was looking to do that OR sufficient new football playing schools that have committed to join to make that happen. Until that happens, I think UNCP stays in the MEC for football it to make that happen. Worth noting that UNCP has been around from a football standpoint for 10 or so years now. MULTIPLE conferences have had the opportunity to invite them in and that hasn't happened. Only conference to do that is the MEC. Sure, conference alliances seem to change at the drop of a hat now days, but for right now, we have UNCP as an associate member and other conferences don't.

I note concerning CC and football. There is nothing stopping them from doing what the GMAC did before they got to 8 football playing schools. They could "sponsor" it at any number of schools even though it was insufficient to receive official NCAA backing. So far, they haven't chosen to do that...Wonder why that is??
              Probably because a couple of the newer programs have yet to play their first game. Another factor might be existing conference associate membership relationships (ie. Chowan football in the CIAA; North Greenville in the GSC).

Comment

I think Bluefield State would be a great addition for the CIAA. That said, I think they are really angling for a MEC membership. Yes, they are an HBCU and that seems to favor the CIAA but that seems to be the only thing favoring them. Here is a partial list of things that favor MEC membership:

1. BSC is a WV public college like five of the current MEC members.
                2. BSC's sports additions seems to indicate they are aligning their sports offerings with the MEC.
                3. BSC adding football is especially telling. Leaving D&E out of the equation (still don't understand that one) the MEC wants schools that have football. BSC starting a team is a direct indication of were they want to be.
                4. Had BSC been looking for a CIAA invitation, they probably would have started different sports, not started football and joined the CIAA as a non-football playing member.
                5. BSC would have a HBCU "running mate" in the form of WV State in the MEC. Certainly not the same as the numbers in the CIAA, but not like they would be alone.

Like I've said, not advocating for BSC to be offered a membership, yet. But it would give the MEC a 13 football team alignment. Tantalizing close to 14 teams which would give them the opportunity to break into a N/S division alignment, probably as such:

MEC North
                NDC
                WU
                WLU
                Fairmont
                Frostburg
                AB
                ???

MEC South
                WVW
                Glenville
                UC
                WV State
                Concord
                BSC
                UNCP

So what would that do for the MEC? Couple of things:

1. The ability to have a Conference Championship Game.
                2. Ability to reduce travel for all conference teams.
                3. Reduce travel specifically for NDC which seems to be the crux of concerns for some of the posters on this board.

Couple of questions:

1. Will UNCP stick around?
                2. Who would the 14th team be?

Some partial answers:

1. For the time being, yes. Lots of speculation on this board primarily that the Peachbelt Conference is trying to start football. I haven't read anything official or even quasi official saying that is the Peachbelt's intention/desire. They seem to be in the same position as the MEC going to 14 teams...question is who do they get to join? But while the MEC is probably looking for one team, they are looking for three to get to 8 football teams.
                2. While I hate to say it, the most logical is Seton Hill. Hate to say it because they bring nothing to the table except an existing football team. Beyond them, it effectively becomes a guessing game of which D3 might be enticed to do what Frostburg is in the process of doing. Of course, there is a lot of turbulance in the PSAC right now among the PASSHE schools so if there is a resulting realignment, some of the non-PASSHE schools may decide to cut and run.
                I have to be honest, I think it's a matter of time before NDC decides to seek membership in the G-MAC, which could very well make any 13-14 team MEC plans moot. Ashland leaving the GLIAC for the G-MAC could be a tipping point (you may recall that I noted far more potential G-MAC rivals within the same drive time radius as Wheeling/West Liberty, NDC's closest MEC rivals).

And I'll agree with other posts that it's not a matter of if UNCP ends up joining a (for now, hypothetical) Conference Carolinas football league, but when.

Comment

I have to be honest, I think it's a matter of time before NDC decides to seek membership in the G-MAC, which could very well make any 13-14 team MEC plans moot. Ashland leaving the GLIAC for the G-MAC could be a tipping point (you may recall that I noted far more potential G-MAC rivals within the same drive time radius as Wheeling/West Liberty, NDC's closest MEC rivals).

And I'll agree with other posts that it's not a matter of if UNCP ends up joining a (for now, hypothetical) Conference Carolinas football league, but when.
                  Certain people have been predicting the eminent departure of NDC for the GMAC since the day they joined the MEC. It's been nine years and counting and no NDC is still a member of the MEC. One would think that if they REALLY had a burning desire to play in an "Ohio Conference" (one of the reasons suggested by some for the "pending" departure of NDC), they would have done it by now.

Couple observations on the supposed desire of NDC to get back with it's former NAIA American Midwest Conference "brothers:"

NDC was part of the AMC from 1999-2011 (12 years)...Buuttt NDC was an all girl school until 2001 so actually 10 years of co-ed membership of the AMC
                  NDC's AMC membership only overlaps with five Ohio GMAC teams...Walsh (12 years), Cedarville (12 years), Malone (12 years), Ohio Dominican (9 years), Tiffin (8 years).
                  NDC is also a relatively new football program that began varsaty play in 2010 so almost all their "football history" has been gained in the MEC.
                  NDC has the opportunity to play one or even several of it supposed "Ohio GMAC brothers" every year in OOC games. Last time I checked in the big three sports (football, mens/womens basketball) they have chosen an Ohio GMAC opponent only four times.

NDC's "history with the MEC" already equals or excedes two of the five Ohio members of the GMAC...NDC shares a nine year (and counting) history with nine MEC schools...Almost ALL of NDC's football history has occured in the MEC.

It seems that this rich athletic history that NDC shares with Ohio schools that are now in the GMAC is pretty much a figment of posters imagination AND almost none of that history was formed around football. Seems that the only thing that the GMAC really has to offer NDC that they can't find in the MEC right now is reduced driving. But if the MEC gets to 14 teams and divides into N/S divisions for all sports (they already do that for two sports), then even that advantage will be largely mitigated.

I've talked about CC football a number of times. I think that the "desire" of that conference to sponsor football is largely in the mind of a couple of posters. Right now they have five member schools that have football programs which is a pretty long way from the required eight. Not saying that they will never get there or if they do happen to get to eight playing members that they won't sponsor it, just that it doesn't seem like much of a priority. I think UNCP is in the MEC for football for at least the next 2-4 years...unless another conferences makes them an offer they can't refuse. Of course, UNCP has been "available" for 10+ years and the SAC or SAIC or CIAA have chosen at each turn to NOT persue UNCP as a member...Don't seen any compelling reason that any of these conferences would suddenly wake up and say "We NEED us some UNCP for football!!!"

Comment

Yea...I remember a lot of cork popping on this board about the pending movement of NDC to the GMAC because Ashland joined. Folks were predicting that they had it on good authority that the move was eminent and would be occuring in a matter of weeks. As will ALL the other predictions of NDC's move to the GMAC over the last nine years based on supposed "well placed sources," it just never happened.

To quote Samuel Clements - "Reports of my death have been greatly exagerated!" Seems that NDC's pending departure from the MEC is more the result of the fertile imagination of some posters.

Comment

Seems that the only thing that the GMAC really has to offer NDC that they can't find in the MEC right now is reduced driving.
                      Pretty much. Shorter trips. More day trips. Less hotels. Less time missing class. All the same reasons folks thought AB to the MEC was a smart move for AB.

There is nothing "wrong" with the MEC. The MEC is really nice conference and NDC has enjoyed success in the MEC. Its just that NDC is an OH school whose enrollment is mostly OH kids. It just doesn't make much sense to play in a WV D2 conference if there is a perfectly good OH D2 conference available.

Comment

I've talked about CC football a number of times. I think that the "desire" of that conference to sponsor football is largely in the mind of a couple of posters. Right now they have five member schools that have football programs which is a pretty long way from the required eight. Not saying that they will never get there or if they do happen to get to eight playing members that they won't sponsor it, just that it doesn't seem like much of a priority. I think UNCP is in the MEC for football for at least the next 2-4 years...unless another conferences makes them an offer they can't refuse. Of course, UNCP has been "available" for 10+ years and the SAC or SAIC or CIAA have chosen at each turn to NOT persue UNCP as a member...Don't seen any compelling reason that any of these conferences would suddenly wake up and say "We NEED us some UNCP for football!!!"
                        I guess the NCAA raised the minimum to eight schools for sport sponsorship from six. Shows how long I've been out of the D2 loop...

Comment

I guess the NCAA raised the minimum to eight schools for sport sponsorship from six. Shows how long I've been out of the D2 loop...
                          I don't believe that is correct. The GAC sponsors sports with 4 and 5 teams, we just don't get an AQ in those sports. Other conferences have have sports with less than 8 teams, including some with less than 6 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

I don't believe that is correct. The GAC sponsors sports with 4 and 5 teams, we just don't get an AQ in those sports. Other conferences have have sports with less than 8 teams, including some with less than 6 teams.
                            I believe that is correct. Same boat the GNAC is in. They can sponsor football, but there is no automatic qualifier for the post-season.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post

Pretty much. Shorter trips. More day trips. Less hotels. Less time missing class. All the same reasons folks thought AB to the MEC was a smart move for AB.

There is nothing "wrong" with the MEC. The MEC is really nice conference and NDC has enjoyed success in the MEC. Its just that NDC is an OH school whose enrollment is mostly OH kids. It just doesn't make much sense to play in a WV D2 conference if there is a perfectly good OH D2 conference available.
                              Agreed. And to double down, would Concord consider pulling a Shepherd and leave the MEC to join the Carolina's conference? I seem to recall them having a fair amount of Carolina players on their roster back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

Conferences can "sponsor" sports with any number of teams. GMAC "sponsored" football for a couple of years before they got to eight teams and received the official nod from the NCAA. Since there is no AQ in football, the only thing that NCAA sponsorship does is consolidate all schools in that conference in the same SR. Not the only example but take the CIAA for example, if they were not an NCAA recognized football conference, Bowie and Lincoln PA would be in SR1 while the rest of the conference would be in SR2.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X