Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post

Pretty much. Shorter trips. More day trips. Less hotels. Less time missing class. All the same reasons folks thought AB to the MEC was a smart move for AB.

There is nothing "wrong" with the MEC. The MEC is really nice conference and NDC has enjoyed success in the MEC. Its just that NDC is an OH school whose enrollment is mostly OH kids. It just doesn't make much sense to play in a WV D2 conference if there is a perfectly good OH D2 conference available.

But the GMAC is not a strictly an "Ohio Conference" (members in Tennessee, Kentucky and Michigan) any more than the MEC is a "WV Conference" (members in Ohio and Maryland).

The "distance" argument by some NDC posters benefits TREMENDOUSLY from four schools - Ursuline, Malone, Walsh and LEC. Average driving distance for those four is 36 miles. Subtract those four from the distance equation and the average driving distance for the other seven GMAC members is 260 miles which puts it over the 232 mile average driving distance to MEC schools. BUUUTTT...To compare apples to apples...Subtracting the four closest MEC schools (WLU, WU, Fairmont, Frostburg), and the average driving distance to the other MEC schools is 262.

Distance from NDC by millage grouping:

GMAC:
    Less than 100 miles: 4
    100-200: 3
    200-300: 2
    300-400: 1
    400+: 1

MEC:
    Less than 100: 0
    100-200: 2
    200-300: 8
    300-400: 1
    400+: 0

Clearly the distance argument is not quite as strong as some would have us believe. Overall the GMAC schools are closer but not by a dramatic margin. I would imagine that NDC has done a travel cost analysis and perhaps has found that there is not sufficient difference in cost to drive them to leave a conference that they have been in for nine years and counting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Agreed. And to double down, would Concord consider pulling a Shepherd and leave the MEC to join the Carolina's conference? I seem to recall them having a fair amount of Carolina players on their roster back in the day.
      Hummm...By that metric, why is Shepherd in the PSAC? Current roster shows only one player from that state! Using your logic of "fair amount of players" from a particular state as a good reason for a school to leave their current conference, Shepherd should be in a conference with a Maryland footprint since they show 46 players from Maryland. Soooo...I guess Shepherd will be leaving the PSAC to join the CIAA??

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Hummm...By that metric, why is Shepherd in the PSAC? Current roster shows only one player from that state! Using your logic of "fair amount of players" from a particular state as a good reason for a school to leave their current conference, Shepherd should be in a conference with a Maryland footprint since they show 46 players from Maryland. Soooo...I guess Shepherd will be leaving the PSAC to join the CIAA??

Comment

Ahhhh...but your observation was that since Concord had a lot of players from NC, they might consider moving. I was making a similar observation about Shepherds roster makeup and wondering if maybe they too should consider changing conferences.

Comment

Ahhhh...but your observation was that since Concord had a lot of players from NC, they might consider moving. I was making a similar observation about Shepherds roster makeup and wondering if maybe they too should consider changing conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
              MEC 4 life!
              Now you are getting it!!

Comment

The "distance" argument by some NDC posters benefits TREMENDOUSLY from four schools - Ursuline, Malone, Walsh and LEC. Average driving distance for those four is 36 miles. .
                BTW, I wasn't creating an argument. I was agreeing with your earlier statement that the GMAC would offer NDC reduced travel. Also BTW, next year one of the longer GMAC trips (OVU) is eliminated and a short 75-mile scamper (Ashland) is added. It keeps getting better (or worse, depending upon how you look at it).

Comment

BTW, I wasn't creating an argument. I was agreeing with your earlier statement that the GMAC would offer NDC reduced travel. Also BTW, next year one of the longer GMAC trips (OVU) is eliminated and a short 75-mile scamper (Ashland) is added. It keeps getting better (or worse, depending upon how you look at it).
                  Oh OVU was hardly one of the longer GMAC trips that NDC would have to make...Trevecca at 530 and KWC at 465 dwarf the distance. The distance to OVU is roughly the average distance that NDC would have to drive were they a member of the GMAC.

Keep pitching that NDC is going to move any day now...maybe some day you will be correct!!! Nine years...and counting!!

Comment

Oh OVU was hardly one of the longer GMAC trips that NDC would have to make...Trevecca at 530 and KWC at 465 dwarf the distance. The distance to OVU is roughly the average distance that NDC would have to drive were they a member of the GMAC.

Keep pitching that NDC is going to move any day now...maybe some day you will be correct!!! Nine years...and counting!!
                    Understood that Trevecca and KWC would still be the two very long trips. I was just pointing out that the OVU (180 miles) for Ashland (73 miles) switch would be beneficial.

I'm certainly not predicting that a move will be made any day now. Obviously I think the GMAC makes a lot of sense for NDC, but it has made sense for awhile and nothing has happened. Its possible that some bad blood still exists between NDC and some of the other OH schools regarding the NDC exit from both the GLIAC deal and the early GMAC formation. The NDC regime that made those moves is gone now, so maybe that changes the dynamic a bit. Who knows?

Comment

Understood that Trevecca and KWC would still be the two very long trips. I was just pointing out that the OVU (180 miles) for Ashland (73 miles) switch would be beneficial.

I'm certainly not predicting that a move will be made any day now. Obviously I think the GMAC makes a lot of sense for NDC, but it has made sense for awhile and nothing has happened. Its possible that some bad blood still exists between NDC and some of the other OH schools regarding the NDC exit from both the GLIAC deal and the early GMAC formation. The NDC regime that made those moves is gone now, so maybe that changes the dynamic a bit. Who knows?
                      You never know what the future holds but after nine years, moving to the GMAC is clearly not something that NDC leadership is seriously considering. I think posters overestimate the "shared history" that NDC has with GMAC schools from their NAIA days. Same with "driving distance"...Not as big an advantage as people think. These supposed "slam dunk" advantages were not enough to keep NDC in the GMAC when it first started AND have not been enough to convince them to rejoin. In the past posters have said that the GMAC has a standing offer to NDC to come back at any time they want to. So far, no desire by NDC to leave the MEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Are you aware of anything that has substantively changed in their outlook since 2018?
                        Southern WV is in desperate straits, IMHO, in terms of population. Then you have WVU Tech just up the road in Beckley and Bluefield College just a mile over the border in Bluefield, VA.
                        That is a lot of competition for a dwindling college population.

Here is an audit from 2018. I would have to sleep at a Holiday Inn Express tonight to be able to interpret the details. BSU has been losing $10M a year in 2016, 2017, and 2018. The losses have been nearly completely covered by State appropriations and Pell grants ($9.2M). Still lost 300K in 2018. See page 6 of audit.
                        This is where shutting down the economy for COVID is really going to hurt by reducing tax revenue and there is not enough $ to support all the needs, not just BSU.

http://www.wvhepc.edu/wp-content/upl...Statements.pdf

Although the last report was 2018 as far as I know, the discussions on the long term future of these two schools has been going on for some time. I think there is a lot of history, tradition and pride that is standing in the way of a pragmatic solution. Enrollment has declined fro 2073 in 2010 to 1275 in 2019.
                        Thing's have actually gotten worse in southern West Virginia since 2018. My friend is the manager of a bank branch in that area and that's how he see's it.
                        Last edited by crixus; 10-12-2020, 11:27 PM.

Comment

I saw that the BSC football HC job announcement closed on Sept 11. Not many (any?) Bluefield boosters/alumni on the board, but does anyone have any rumors?

Comment

Bluefield State is announcing its new football coach at 1:00 pm today.

Comment

https://www.bdtonline.com/news/footb...2eea94cbb.html

Comment

The new HC at BSC is Anthony Coaxum. Coaxum comes to BSC after serving last season as the Special Teams Coordinator and DB coach at the Univ of North Colorado. Coaxum has had NFL coaching stops at Baltimore and Denver as well as NCAA stops at Central Michigan, Kansas and Army. He was a two year starting DB at the US Military Academy at West Point.

https://wvva.com/2020/10/09/anthony-...ootball-coach/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X