Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting...

With NDC's win over Frostburg today and Charleston's win over Glenville, we now have three one loss teams in the MEC. As the three team "round robin" is finished, each team has a pretty good shot at completing their seasons with one loss and in a three way tie for the MEC crown. First time in my memory there has been a three way log jam at the top of the conference.

Beyond that, with two one loss playoff eligible teams, the MEC should be in good shape to get two teams in the playoffs.

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    With NDC's win over Frostburg today and Charleston's win over Glenville, we now have three one loss teams in the MEC. As the three team "round robin" is finished, each team has a pretty good shot at completing their seasons with one loss and in a three way tie for the MEC crown. First time in my memory there has been a three way log jam at the top of the conference.

Beyond that, with two one loss playoff eligible teams, the MEC should be in good shape to get two teams in the playoffs.
    Barring an upset, I feel like the MEC will get two teams in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

Yep, kinda awesome banner year at the top for the MEC. Might have 3 finish 10-1.

Comment

NE10 gets one, Bentley or New Haven, IF the league champion finishes with 1 loss. 2 losses no go in the PO.
        Only ODU with 1 loss seems likely in the GMAC. If they lose again, the league like the NE10 could be shut out.
        Unless something really strange happens, I'd guess both NDC and CHAS are in the PO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Yep, kinda awesome banner year at the top for the MEC. Might have 3 finish 10-1.
          UC played 10 this year so they should finish 9-1.

Difference in the MEC, at least so far, is that the #2 and 3 teams haven't taken any unexpected in-conference losses. MEC has always been good (actually VERY good) at the very top but the 2 and 3 team almost always got picked off by one of the lower teams. This year there appears to be a clear seporation between the top echalon and the middle. Now in that top echalon it has been a circular firing squad (NDC beating Frostburg, Frostburg beting UC, UC beating NDC), but so far, no other MEC team has jumped up and beat the top 3.

Good from a NCAA playoff selection stand point, but not necessarily good from a MEC competative ballance stand point.
          Last edited by boatcapt; 10-10-2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

If Frostburg was eligible, you may have had a strange log jam of 1 loss teams in the region.

Comment

If Frostburg was eligible, you may have had a strange log jam of 1 loss teams in the region.
              Possible...but I note there are still 2 undefeated teams. Also the MEC and WVIAC before them has a history of very even play after the conference front runner. While each of the three will be pretty heavy favorites in each of their remaining games, there is a chance that one, two or even all three could stumble.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Possible...but I note there are still 2 undefeated teams. Also the MEC and WVIAC before them has a history of very even play after the conference front runner. While each of the three will be pretty heavy favorites in each of their remaining games, there is a chance that one, two or even all three could stumble.
                I have to agree with you boatcapt , all three teams have either or both Fairmont St and.or UNC-Pembroke left to play. Both teams are capable in upsetting either of the top 3 teams. It would not be a pretty situation (NCAA II playoffs-wise) if Frostburg outright wins the MEC.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

I have to agree with you boatcapt , all three teams have either or both Fairmont St and.or UNC-Pembroke left to play. Both teams are capable in upsetting either of the top 3 teams. It would not be a pretty situation (NCAA II playoffs-wise) if Frostburg outright wins the MEC.
                  Well, for Frostburg to win the conference outright, both NDC and UC would have to lose. MEC does not employ a tie breaker...Finish with the same conference record and the teams are co-champions.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X