Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WVU Tech Reinstating Football

Just saw online that WVU Tech (formerly WV Tech) will be reinstating football as part of a project to build a large athletic process. They're now NAIA but they could be a non-conference game in the future and will certainly compete for athletes.

I'm not familiar with the history of the school. I take it they were a small state independent now a branch of the WVU system much like UPJ is to PITT. Correct ??

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
      I'm not familiar with the history of the school. I take it they were a small state independent now a branch of the WVU system much like UPJ is to PITT. Correct ??
      They used to just be WV Tech, but WVU eventually took over the operations, hence the name WVU Tech. The campus was located in Montgomery. Historically, the football program was awful and pretty much the worst program in the old WVIAC. They dropped football and to the NAIA but have tried coming back to D2 multiple times. Honestly, some of the former WVIAC schools would likely not be allowed into D2 now, but the whole conference came up as a package deal in 1994.

WVU Tech was moved from Montgomery to Beckley in recent years and has the potential to be more attractive than it used to be.

Comment

Tech has made great strides since "bottoming out" about the time they dropped to NAIA (06??). Few years after droping down, they dropped football all together as a cost savings move. Not very often that a 4 year university pick up and move but that is exactly what Tech did moving from Montgomery to Beckley WV over 40 miles away. While they aren't back to their max enrolement level (2500+), they are pretty stable in the 1500 range which is a far cry from the 300 rumored at their worst.

Interesting fact, apparently Tech tried to rejoin DII and the WVIAC in 2010 but the NCAA disapproved their application.

Never happen but the MEC could invite WV Tech back (contingent on starting football), which would make them more inticing to Bluefield State and perhaps U Pike. If they could add a team up north, they could split into N/S Divisions of 8.
        Last edited by boatcapt; 02-23-2022, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          Tech has made great strides since "bottoming out" about the time they dropped to NAIA (06??). Few years after droping down, they dropped football all together as a cost savings move. Not very often that a 4 year university pick up and move but that is exactly what Tech did moving from Montgomery to Beckley WV over 40 miles away. While they aren't back to their max enrolement level (2500+), they are pretty stable in the 1500 range which is a far cry from the 300 rumored at their worst.

Interesting fact, apparently Tech tried to rejoin DII and the WVIAC in 2010 but the NCAA disapproved their application.

Never happen but the MEC could invite WV Tech back (contingent on starting football), which would make them more inticing to Bluefield State and perhaps U Pike. If they could add a team up north, they could split into N/S Divisions of 8.
          SHU is north and I'm certain a deal could be worked out !!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Tech tried to rejoin a couple of times but were rejected. Regardless, they really messed up when they dropped down to NAIA. From Tech grads, I have heard that they didn't realize how much more travel they would do within the NAIA and the Mid-South Conference. They have since left the MSC and I know their basketball team plays in the River States Conference. They seem stable for the first time in about 20 years, so maybe it eventually worked out for them.

As far as Pikeville goes, they have the money. I just don't think they will ever leave all of those Kentucky schools. They are actually in a pretty sweet spot.

Comment

NAIA isn't much different than D2 - just looser oversight. They'd likely have to improve compliance a bit but I imagine that's improved over time by being under the WVU umbrella. I agree that NAIA isn't anywhere near where its membership was 50 years ago (a lot of current D2 schools were NAIA) so travel costs get expensive. A lot of overnight trips to NAIA schools that would be day trips to MEC schools.

Here's the article: https://www.register-herald.com/news...6f1cb927f.html

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                NAIA isn't much different than D2 - just looser oversight. They'd likely have to improve compliance a bit but I imagine that's improved over time by being under the WVU umbrella. I agree that NAIA isn't anywhere near where its membership was 50 years ago (a lot of current D2 schools were NAIA) so travel costs get expensive. A lot of overnight trips to NAIA schools that would be day trips to MEC schools.

Here's the article: https://www.register-herald.com/news...6f1cb927f.html
                Tech initially got worse under WVU, and there were rumors that WVU was just going to shut it down, but then Mountain State University closed its doors. WVU bought that campus and then decided to move Tech there instead of close it down completely or repair the buildings in Montgomery.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

Tech initially got worse under WVU, and there were rumors that WVU was just going to shut it down, but then Mountain State University closed its doors. WVU bought that campus and then decided to move Tech there instead of close it down completely or repair the buildings in Montgomery.
                  I think Tech had some things to work out of itself. The old business model was clearly failing - plus I believe the location was a hinderance. Beckley is a much more accessible place and the campus somewhat more appealing. I also believe that the dotted-line relationship with WVU doesn't hurt either. As an independent, Tech had a near open admission policy, which can be a good thing but if not carefully monitored creates an enrollment group like trying to retain water with a fishing net. I'm interested in learning more about this facilities plan and any potential to move back to D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think Tech had some things to work out of itself. The old business model was clearly failing - plus I believe the location was a hinderance. Beckley is a much more accessible place and the campus somewhat more appealing. I also believe that the dotted-line relationship with WVU doesn't hurt either. As an independent, Tech had a near open admission policy, which can be a good thing but if not carefully monitored creates an enrollment group like trying to retain water with a fishing net. I'm interested in learning more about this facilities plan and any potential to move back to D2.
                    Tech has wanted to be back in D2 almost ever since it dropped drop D2. The administration at that time truly made a bonehead move when they left.

Comment

Let's be clear here:

When they dropped from D2 to NAIA, they did so to avoid some pretty heavy NCAA sanctions that were about to be imposed. They had some athletic administrative problems that did not fit the NCAA rules and guidelines.

Years later, they did clean some things up. They then tried to go D2. The NCAA committee rejected them twice because they pretty much told Tech officials that they frowned heavily on the fact that the school tried to avoid penalties by dropping to NAIA.

On another note, they have quite a strong history in men's basketball from the '50s-80s time period.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

I'm pretty sure that Tech tried to rejoin a couple of times but were rejected. Regardless, they really messed up when they dropped down to NAIA. From Tech grads, I have heard that they didn't realize how much more travel they would do within the NAIA and the Mid-South Conference. They have since left the MSC and I know their basketball team plays in the River States Conference. They seem stable for the first time in about 20 years, so maybe it eventually worked out for them.

As far as Pikeville goes, they have the money. I just don't think they will ever leave all of those Kentucky schools. They are actually in a pretty sweet spot.
                        Yep...I read that they were "surprised" by the travel expenses and that drove at least the 2010 attempt to come back to DII. NCAA declining probably was the death blow to football (not that they were on firm footing anyway). In hindsight, it probably turned out right for them even though dropping to NAIA and then losing football was a kick in the teeth to alums. As Tech, Wheeling, (Cheyney??) and to a lesser degree AB have proven, it is possible to come out of some pretty negative situations, even when enrollment drops to seemingly unsustainable levels.

Comment

Yep...I read that they were "surprised" by the travel expenses and that drove at least the 2010 attempt to come back to DII. NCAA declining probably was the death blow to football (not that they were on firm footing anyway). In hindsight, it probably turned out right for them even though dropping to NAIA and then losing football was a kick in the teeth to alums. As Tech, Wheeling, (Cheyney??) and to a lesser degree AB have proven, it is possible to come out of some pretty negative situations, even when enrollment drops to seemingly unsustainable levels.
                          They didn't realize how much all of those day trips for sports really helped them out. I also agree that it was probably a death blow to the football program. But I feel like they are in a decent spot now. Who knows? Maybe Tech will find its way back to D2 at some point?

Comment

Give them two years in starting the program and they will be better than West Liberty!

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                              Give them two years in starting the program and they will be better than West Liberty!
                              Listen, you've gotta shake down Gary West again.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X