X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bart
    replied
    Re: 2017-18 PSAC Scholarships

Surprised to see ESU and Bloom had the top average salaries for PSAC men's sports.
    https://www.dailyamerican.com/news/s...e8999ccc7.html

Leave a comment:

• WVIAC-F-EVER
    replied

the ncaa D2 has 2 academic rules for counting money....

The academic award based on academics - gpa or test and the student had to have a 3.3 or better for it not to count

Then there was the academic award based on an academic competition that had no gpa requirement per the ncaa as long as the student satisfied the schools policy...

I always imagined a school abusing this by having all the exercise physiologist students having an obstacle course like that tv show, with the winner getting a scholarship, offering about 30 of those and wow, 29 of the 30 winners happen to be in the football team...

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied

I'd assume West Chester throws a bunch of academic money at their guys to compensate the lack football aid.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Makes me think its either an error or there is a lag in reporting. They didn't venture far in either the 2015 or 2016 seasons. In 2015 they had Lenoir Rhyne come there - I doubt they paid them a huge guarantee. That program has cash. In 2016 they went to Bentley and that's not exactly an expensive trip.

Leave a comment:

• WVIAC-F-EVER
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Send them some money.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I think its a matter of IUP raising more money for football than West Chester. That's where the money is coming from. So yeah, IUP has "4 TIMES MORE" scholarship revenue for football than West Chester. Here's what they tell the federal government (for the 2016 FY):

Gameday Expenses - Football:
    IUP $26,272
    West Chester $171,888

Total Expenses - Football:
    IUP $1,808,686
    West Chester $956,226

Total Revenue - Football:
    IUP $1,992,977
    West Chester $1,260,981

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Re: 2017-18 PSAC Scholarship Equivalencies

Originally posted by GoldenRam94 View Post
    Let's be honest about one thing that everyone is overlooking.

The cost of Tuition to any PASSHE school is not going to break the bank.

WCU is a tough school to get into. Is it so hard to believe a kid would accept to play at WCU over a Millersville, Kutztown, ESU or any other PSAC School to play on a winner, and get into a better school? Meanwhile he passes up a 1/4 scholarship to some other PSAC School? The dollars are not there to pass up a WCU.
    That's actually a good point. Let's say you have DII talent and live in SWPA. There isn't an arms race because really you're going to consider West Chester and Bloomsburg unless you covet a particular aspect of playing/attending Millersville or Kutztown. The West has that arms race because almost every team is recruiting the same local kids. Only Cal and IUP seem to have made a push to actively recruit western Ohio and Maryland/Virginia. It takes some money to recruit those kids all the way to Western PA. Doesn't take as much to get them to Chester County.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
    Gameday expenses of 171,888 ? ? ? sure its not 17, 188. or maybe they just pay the refs alot more. might explain it :smile-big:
    I wondered that too but this is straight from the US Dept of Education.

The US Dept of Education defines it as: "All expenses an institution incurs attributable to home, away, and neutral-site intercollegiate athletic contests (commonly known as game-day expenses), for (A) Lodging, meals, transportation, uniforms, and equipment for coaches, team members, support staff (including, but not limited to team managers and trainers), and others; and (B) Officials."

So maybe that's new uniforms, they stayed overnight at every away game, etc.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
    I believe it. I don't tell others what to believe, especially those who say they'll never believe. But did you watch the two games last year?

Sure did. Also watched WCU's roster of alleged glorified walk-ons win in Indiana in 2014.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Here is a real question: How in the world can WCU only raise money for 6 scholarships?

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    You guys really want us to believe IUP spends 4 TIMES MORE on football players than West Chester? You really believe that?
    I believe it. I don't tell others what to believe, especially those who say they'll never believe. But did you watch the two games last year?

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I think its a matter of IUP raising more money for football than West Chester. That's where the money is coming from. So yeah, IUP has "4 TIMES MORE" scholarship revenue for football than West Chester. Here's what they tell the federal government (for the 2016 FY):

Gameday Expenses - Football:
    IUP $26,272
    West Chester $171,888

Total Expenses - Football:
    IUP $1,808,686
    West Chester $956,226

Total Revenue - Football:
    IUP $1,992,977
    West Chester $1,260,981
    Gameday expenses of 171,888 ? ? ? sure its not 17, 188. or maybe they just pay the refs alot more. might explain it :smile-big:

Leave a comment:

• GoldenRam94
    replied
    Re: 2017-18 PSAC Scholarship Equivalencies

Let's be honest about one thing that everyone is overlooking.

The cost of Tuition to any PASSHE school is not going to break the bank.

WCU is a tough school to get into. Is it so hard to believe a kid would accept to play at WCU over a Millersville, Kutztown, ESU or any other PSAC School to play on a winner, and get into a better school? Meanwhile he passes up a 1/4 scholarship to some other PSAC School? The dollars are not there to pass up a WCU.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I didn't say "4 TIMES MORE" SCHOLARSHIP REVENUE. I said SPENDING.

Add it all up. Add all the free dorms, crappy pizza, 'academic' money and whatever other way it's being used on football players ... WCU and IUP are spending about the same on football players. IUP can call it scholarships. WCU can call it whatever.

Look at their current roster. I'm sure kids are transferring from Syracuse and West Virginia to receive .005 of a 'scholarship'.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X