Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Nick Bosa

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
    ARE YOU NOT FOLLOWING WHAT I AM STATING. I understand why HE is doing it. That is not my point. Looking at it from owners POV, he is not the type of guy you want in the locker room, just like Bell would not be. These guys fit in at a place like Cincinnati, where the guys put their needs above the teams needs DURING THE SEASON. You don't see these type of guys at New England or the Steelers, they get pushed out the door. That is why they are successful franchises as opposed to Cincy who has good/great players but are never more than 1 and done in the playoffs.

Comment

I get that he is top 3 even with this stunt, I understand he is going to get paid. I just understand that it is a character flaw and that matter. Another difference is I know what type of teams he will be playing for. IE the ones that are not good because the locker room is a circus, because ownership does not have a grasp of dealing with issues and hired no one capable of it either.
      I don't follow? Even if he'd stay at Ohio State the rest of the year ... he'd still be picked by one of the dreg teams. So, what's the difference?

Comment

I would call Bosa a smart cat here. Mike, I always respect your opinions but what if Bosa does finish the rest of the year and complete physical catastrophe occurs and his playing career is over. Can he stand on his soap box and preach to the 32 NFL owners that he by right should still be the number one pick in the draft even if he can't walk or run by virtue of him finishing out his college career or playing in the Bowl game? He would be laughed right out of the room and get nothing at all!

If I were Bosa or he were my son I would absolutely advise him to sandbag it. It's just the $mart thing to do.

-

Comment

ARE YOU NOT FOLLOWING WHAT I AM STATING. I understand why HE is doing it. That is not my point. Looking at it from owners POV, he is not the type of guy you want in the locker room, just like Bell would not be. These guys fit in at a place like Cincinnati, where the guys put their needs above the teams needs DURING THE SEASON. You don't see these type of guys at New England or the Steelers, they get pushed out the door. That is why they are successful franchises as opposed to Cincy who has good/great players but are never more than 1 and done in the playoffs.
          1. NE wins because the AFC east is a sleep walk to the playoffs every year 2. They have a bunch of guys that have average talent at best lunch pale guys that are cerebral 3. Without 2 people NE would be one of the worst teams in the NFL Brady and Belichik are geniuses

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
            1. NE wins because the AFC east is a sleep walk to the playoffs every year 2. They have a bunch of guys that have average talent at best lunch pale guys that are cerebral 3. Without 2 people NE would be one of the worst teams in the NFL Brady and Belichik are geniuses
            Well said. But let me expound upon point #1 a tad here----in addition to the AFC East being a sleep walk to the playoffs every year, in the process the Cheatriots fatten their record enough to always receive one of the postseason byes and get a guaranteed game up at that damn place they play at. They are tough to beat up there. They are then usually in the AFC title game every year it seems. Seven straight I believe now. The secret is to get them out of there and make them go on the road where they are beatable.

Plus, they have the market cornered with their bag of dirty tricks they use.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
              Well said. But let me expound upon point #1 a tad here----in addition to the AFC East being a sleep walk to the playoffs every year, in the process the Cheatriots fatten their record enough to always receive one of the postseason byes and get a guaranteed game up at that damn place they play at. They are tough to beat up there. They are then usually in the AFC title game every year it seems. Seven straight I believe now. The secret is to get them out of there and make them go on the road where they are beatable.

Plus, they have the market cornered with their bag of dirty tricks they use.

-

I admire the way Bill will freely sign scrap heap, behavioral-type projects. He gets them for nothing. No risk. One misstep and good-bye. The NFL is an endless stream of knuckleheads. He's mastered it. Let the dregs keep signing character issues to mega contracts. Once they washout the Pats are the best ever at miraculously recreating them. Bill is also no-nonsense. That's a far cry from the circus in Pittsburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                I admire the way Bill will freely sign scrap heap, behavioral-type projects. He gets them for nothing. No risk. One misstep and good-bye. The NFL is an endless stream of knuckleheads. He's mastered it. Let the dregs keep signing character issues to mega contracts. Once they washout the Pats are the best ever at miraculously recreating them. Bill is also no-nonsense. That's a far cry from the circus in Pittsburgh.
                The only problem for Belicheat's legacy is that most teams and fans adhere to a certain code of ethics when it comes to the game of football. No wonder he gets little respect from anyone and is roundly despised. Spygate in itself was a big enough of a scandal to put it every bit on par with the 1919 Black Sox scandal. Those first three SBs really should have been vacated by the NFL. They instead chose to sweep it under the rug. Allegedly taping the Rams walk through before SB 36? Deflategate? The list could go on and on here.

I have not even a shard of respect for the SOB!

-

Comment

Comment

What's the signing bonus for the No. 1 overall pick? After taxes, what, about $9 million? You know how long you'd have to work, in years, to make $9 million take-home pay? I think in that case he could finish his last class or two and be OK?

Comment

I think that's the main concern. It's not about one player.

Comment

I hope he doesn't get drafted. This is a serious character flaw despite if people want to recognize it or not. This is quitting on your team for your own gain. What is to stop him from doing it again. Same thing with Lev Bell in a way. I understand people need to take care of number 1 first but there are right ways of doing so and wrong ways. This is a wrong way. He is not the type of guy you can count on period.
                        In sports, trying to maximize your position and get the most money available during a career that statistically only lasts a handful of years is selfish and a character flaw. But CEOs and those in business trying to do the same are called savvy and genius. Get paid!

Comment

Thoughts?
                          Very few young men get the chance to be an NFL player. Few of US have comparable situations to allow us to make an honest comparison. He's doing him, and he's going to get paid...Don't hate the player, hate the system...

Comment

What's the signing bonus for the No. 1 overall pick? After taxes, what, about $9 million? You know how long you'd have to work, in years, to make $9 million take-home pay? I think in that case he could finish his last class or two and be OK?
                            What did I hear the other day? $30 million+ deal for the #1 overall pick? You're never going to earn that kind of loot with an accounting or education degree.

I like IUP24's idea of the pay rate for players. But rather than a flat rate I think you need to bump athletes up for things like class year and making such things as all-conference and All-American honors. The pay stipend would likely work out fine for D-I revenue sports. But no way you're going to pay say a women's field hockey player or athletes at a lower level of competition. There's the catch there.

-

Comment

Wait until the first 'healthy' consensus top pick quits his team in mid-October as a safety net.

That day is coming, too.

Comment

Wait until the first 'healthy' consensus top pick quits his team in mid-October as a safety net.

That day is coming, too.
                                Maybe the solution to all of this is for the NCAA to take it upon themselves to guarantee star players who expect to go high in the draft Lloyd's of London type "insurance coverage" should they be injured. That may solve things if the athlete knows at that time that he is going to get his money either through the NCAA injury payout or the NFL draft.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X