Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship offers hometown RB

This could be a really good get for Mac if the young man doesn't get some FCS aid. I've seen Adam Houser a lot this year, and he's the real deal. Been held below 100 yards once in 10 games, over 250 his last two times out. Great cutback instincts. I look at RB as a need position for the Raiders, too.

http://www.4thdownmagazine.com/compo...-offer-d2.html

Also, check this out at 0:21. It's from two weeks ago.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6585103/...52420ee8b21f3a
    Last edited by jrshooter; 10-31-2018, 09:54 AM.

Re: Ship offers hometown RB

Why go to a pass happy school? He should join his former QB where he can be featured.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
      Why go to a pass happy school? He should join his former QB where he can be featured.
      Who says he'd be joining his former QB? You guys think Leiby is the second coming. :smile-big:

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
        I think this season has shown Ship can run the ball when they dedicate the patience to sticking to the run. Also their RB's are used a lot in the passing game so if he can catch balls out the backfield or be spread out wide and catch balls its a great offense for him. I think the FCS teams probably Albany or Colgate will step up and offer him at least a partial scholarship to lure him away from the PSAC schools and my beloved Shippensburg. One thing I think Coach Mac should do is start offering the local kids early like beginning of their junior years that way if they don't get the FCS offer at least we were the first to offer and show interest in them. That's what Matt Rhule did at Temple which helped him land some high recruits who shunned bigger schools due to the relationship/connection/trust they had built over 2-3 years with Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
          I think this season has shown Ship can run the ball when they dedicate the patience to sticking to the run. Also their RB's are used a lot in the passing game so if he can catch balls out the backfield or be spread out wide and catch balls its a great offense for him. I think the FCS teams probably Albany or Colgate will step up and offer him at least a partial scholarship to lure him away from the PSAC schools and my beloved Shippensburg. One thing I think Coach Mac should do is start offering the local kids early like beginning of their junior years that way if they don't get the FCS offer at least we were the first to offer and show interest in them. That's what Matt Rhule did at Temple which helped him land some high recruits who shunned bigger schools due to the relationship/connection/trust they had built over 2-3 years with Matt.
          That's the hardest part ... landing those 'fringe' guys out of high school. They all want to say they are a 'D1' guy. In the West, we see it all the time with schools like Robert Morris and St. Francis (meanwhile most years the top West teams would clobber both of them).

The other reality of college football today is you now have made a connection with him. You may not get him this time, but when (if) he wants to transfer in a year or so, you may get him then. This is a transfer world now. You can be certain coaches are telling kids as much ... if it doesn't work out look us up next spring, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            That's the hardest part ... landing those 'fringe' guys out of high school. They all want to say they are a 'D1' guy. In the West, we see it all the time with schools like Robert Morris and St. Francis (meanwhile most years the top West teams would clobber both of them).

The other reality of college football today is you now have made a connection with him. You may not get him this time, but when (if) he wants to transfer in a year or so, you may get him then. This is a transfer world now. You can be certain coaches are telling kids as much ... if it doesn't work out look us up next spring, etc.
            This is an excellent point. You see a lot of the impact players on PSAC rosters are FCS/FBS transfers (Mussina, Gontarek, Hills, Lenny, Rogers).

By the way, Houser's rushing stats were down (564) last year when he played hurt from Game 1 on. But he also caught 44 balls from Van Scyoc. Only six catches this year, but Ship's essentially running three plays out of the Power-I over the past four games: Houser off tackle, Houser on the jet sweep, and fullback up the gut for variety. They're passing fewer than 10 times a game with a sophomore QB, just running right at teams until they show they can stop Houser.

I suspect he'll have three more HS games. Win over Northeastern tomorrow night, slip past York High the following week, and then take it on the chin when they run into Cocalico in the District 3 5A semifinals.
            Last edited by jrshooter; 11-01-2018, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Very true that's what Coach Zwann has done a great job of doing especially with the local kids who go to CAA schools. Looking on their roster you'll see the last 3 years he has gotten kids that took a CAA offer for Rhode Island, Maine, Delaware and for lack of PT they decided to come on back down to WCU to finish out their careers.

Comment

5-10 years ago yes. Today it would be a game. 5-10 years from now, they will be the ones clobbering the PSAC schools. Both are either working their way towards full FCS allotment or they are already there. That will make a huge difference in the future especially if these PSAC schools can't get within 10 of the 36 scholarship allotment D2 allows.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
                  5-10 years ago yes. Today it would be a game. 5-10 years from now, they will be the ones clobbering the PSAC schools. Both are either working their way towards full FCS allotment or they are already there. That will make a huge difference in the future especially if these PSAC schools can't get within 10 of the 36 scholarship allotment D2 allows.
                  I hear that often but I know first-hand they are still offering kids that IUP, Cal and SRU aren't even chasing. They have to find a way to be attractive to get better quality recruits. Or, they can have 100 scholarships, give them out to D2-ish quality kids, and nothing will change.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
                    Very true that's what Coach Zwann has done a great job of doing especially with the local kids who go to CAA schools. Looking on their roster you'll see the last 3 years he has gotten kids that took a CAA offer for Rhode Island, Maine, Delaware and for lack of PT they decided to come on back down to WCU to finish out their careers.
                    I think that's a huge benefit for PSAC East schools. There not only are more kids to recruit but there are less comparable opportunities for the kids to consider or to compete with your offer. The FCS schools play in some of the better conferences: Colonial, Patriot, Ivy, etc. If a student would consider an HBCU offer the MEAC offers great football. But there's a big dropoff and makes a PSAC East opportunity look pretty good unless the kid would consider an HBCU and the CIAA comes into play. On the Western part of the state you have a couple additional FCS conferences (Missouri, Pioneer, Northeast) that don't recruit SEPA as much plus a couple DII conferences recruiting hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                      I think that's a huge benefit for PSAC East schools. There not only are more kids to recruit but there are less comparable opportunities for the kids to consider or to compete with your offer. The FCS schools play in some of the better conferences: Colonial, Patriot, Ivy, etc. If a student would consider an HBCU offer the MEAC offers great football. But there's a big dropoff and makes a PSAC East opportunity look pretty good unless the kid would consider an HBCU and the CIAA comes into play. On the Western part of the state you have a couple additional FCS conferences (Missouri, Pioneer, Northeast) that don't recruit SEPA as much plus a couple DII conferences recruiting hard.
                      That's a very good point. If you (the board) haven't noticed, the MEC and GMAC has really started to invade Western PA in the past couple years.

As discussed, the WPIAL hasn't been pumping out P5 types lately but it has been a haven for FCS and D2 players. The WPIAL dog bowl is awfully crowded.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                        If a student would consider an HBCU offer the MEAC offers great football.
                        But ... do they really?

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                          But ... do they really?
                          Here in SEPA its a good amount of kids who accept Howard, Hampton, Delaware State and Morgan State offers every year over PSAC offers and NEC offers. Morgan State actually has one of my local kids who is a R-Fr QB who I think would excel at the D2 level and who turned down a few PSAC offers to play at a HBCU at the FCS level. The HBCU coaches can offer the kids a chance to play at an FBS program at least once a year as well as the chance to compete on national television at the Celebration Bowl down in Atlanta at the Falcons new stadium if they can win their conference title. Realistically Delaware State won't be making that Bowl Game appearance any time soon but Morgan State, Howard, Norfolk State are the 3 north schools with a chance to make the game in the next year or two.

Comment

That's a very good point. If you (the board) haven't noticed, the MEC and GMAC has really started to invade Western PA in the past couple years.

As discussed, the WPIAL hasn't been pumping out P5 types lately but it has been a haven for FCS and D2 players. The WPIAL dog bowl is awfully crowded.
                            The number of schools a decent distance away taking flyers on lots of WPIAL kids is interesting: Valpo, Indiana State, Kentucky Christian, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                              But ... do they really?
                              Its hard to compare them to other conferences now that they've passed on participating in the FCS playoffs. Its not a good measure of quality but they do have 19 players on NFL rosters.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X