Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of my thoughts on the game were---

-I agree with Laker all the way here----the new Pitt uniforms were just awesome! Unfortunately that is about all that I really liked about them. LOL. But great news that the classic look is back and has been enhanced to boot. The helmets looks great with the added blue facemask (instead of the boring gray one) and the stripe down the middle of the helmet that goes all the way down the back of the helmet. The last few years looked tacky with going only halfway down. I also loved the gold (yellow I guess) numbers. The old retros with the white numbers looked great as well but these were a nice added touch. A+ on the new duds.

-Virginia is the real deal this year and they certainly looked the part. This at least was not Youngstown State that they lost their home opener to.

-I am frustrated with Pitt's inability to attract a top-flight QB. Okay, Dan Marion or his kind is likely not coming back ever again but Pitt could do much better at the position. They have had some decent college QBs since Marino such as John Congemi, Alex Van Pelt, Tom Savage, Nate Peterman, et al. None of them overly excited too many people I doubt. I just think Pitt could do better at this position. It has been consistently mediocre the past 36 years since Marino left town. This needs to change!

-Major question marks on the game that new OC Mark Whipple called. I'm not sure why you come out passing like that with a very questionable QB. But I guess there is not much to be confident about in a revamped run game that lost both stud backs and 4/5's of a quality O-line. But as others have alluded to----receivers were open all night. The QB needs to get them the ball.

-I am rather ho-hum and meh on Narduzzi. I like him as a person and I think that Pitt could do much worse than him to be honest. But I also think they could do MUCH better than him. I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of his skill position recruiting. Paul Chryst seemed to get some much better players there----e.g. Tyler Boyd, Rushell Shell (or maybe they were even brought in by a different coach. With all the turnover in the coaching office it is hard to recall). I think that his job is pretty secure for the time being as he has done a decent job across the board. But I would not mind seeing Pitt try to land a bigger name coach. Mark Richt comes to mind.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      Some of my thoughts on the game were---

-I agree with Laker all the way here----the new Pitt uniforms were just awesome! Unfortunately that is about all that I really liked about them. LOL. But great news that the classic look is back and has been enhanced to boot. The helmets looks great with the added blue facemask (instead of the boring gray one) and the stripe down the middle of the helmet that goes all the way down the back of the helmet. The last few years looked tacky with going only halfway down. I also loved the gold (yellow I guess) numbers. The old retros with the white numbers looked great as well but these were a nice added touch. A+ on the new duds.

-Virginia is the real deal this year and they certainly looked the part. This at least was not Youngstown State that they lost their home opener to.

-I am frustrated with Pitt's inability to attract a top-flight QB. Okay, Dan Marion or his kind is likely not coming back ever again but Pitt could do much better at the position. They have had some decent college QBs since Marino such as John Congemi, Alex Van Pelt, Tom Savage, Nate Peterman, et al. None of them overly excited too many people I doubt. I just think Pitt could do better at this position. It has been consistently mediocre the past 36 years since Marino left town. This needs to change!

-Major question marks on the game that new OC Mark Whipple called. I'm not sure why you come out passing like that with a very questionable QB. But I guess there is not much to be confident about in a revamped run game that lost both stud backs and 4/5's of a quality O-line. But as others have alluded to----receivers were open all night. The QB needs to get them the ball.

-I am rather ho-hum and meh on Narduzzi. I like him as a person and I think that Pitt could do much worse than him to be honest. But I also think they could do MUCH better than him. I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of his skill position recruiting. Paul Chryst seemed to get some much better players there----e.g. Tyler Boyd, Rushell Shell (or maybe they were even brought in by a different coach. With all the turnover in the coaching office it is hard to recall). I think that his job is pretty secure for the time being as he has done a decent job across the board. But I would not mind seeing Pitt try to land a bigger name coach. Mark Richt comes to mind.

-

Comment

I'm still convinced that Pitt is a MAC or AAC school trapped in a Power Five mindset. I can't help but think they're in over their heads in the ACC, to be honest.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
          I'm still convinced that Pitt is a MAC or AAC school trapped in a Power Five mindset. I can't help but think they're in over their heads in the ACC, to be honest.

Comment

Since Pitt joined the ACC in 2013 they are tied for the 4th best Conference record (27-21 coming into this season) out of the 14 ACC teams (they are tied with Virginia Tech and only Clemson, Florida State, and Miami have better Conference records) ..... and they are tied for 2nd best in the Coastal Division ..... with Narduzzi, Pitt is 20-12 in Conference games coming into this season.

Pitt's overall record in the same time period is 8th best out of 14 teams in the ACC and 5th out of 7 Coastal Division teams ..... a big reason being Pitt's tough OOC schedule .

I think that Pitt's Conference game record indicates they are very competitive with the other ACC teams and belong in a P5 Conference..... in the Conference, they certainly have not been in over their heads so far.

Comment

Most schools in the country are like Pitt. And most schools in the P5 are like Pitt.

People get this idea that Pitt is supposed to be Penn State, or Ohio State. At a time they were on that level to a point, but the dynamics of college football changed, and at the turn of the century, Steve Peterson decided to put all of his eggs in the basketball basket. He killed Pitt football.

Comment

Originally posted by goalieman View Post

Since Pitt joined the ACC in 2013 they are tied for the 4th best Conference record (27-21 coming into this season) out of the 14 ACC teams (they are tied with Virginia Tech and only Clemson, Florida State, and Miami have better Conference records) ..... and they are tied for 2nd best in the Coastal Division ..... with Narduzzi, Pitt is 20-12 in Conference games coming into this season.

Pitt's overall record in the same time period is 8th best out of 14 teams in the ACC and 5th out of 7 Coastal Division teams ..... a big reason being Pitt's tough OOC schedule .

I think that Pitt's Conference game record indicates they are very competitive with the other ACC teams and belong in a P5 Conference..... in the Conference, they certainly have not been in over their heads so far.

Comment

Comment

Virginia is a pretty good team. Pitt didn't get walloped. Unfortunately they are stuck with KP.

Could be worse ... could be Tenneessee fans.

Comment

Check this out. It's a forum just about Pitt football!

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com...ball-board.22/

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        Virginia is a pretty good team. Pitt didn't get walloped. Unfortunately they are stuck with KP.

Could be worse ... could be Tenneessee fans.

Comment

They have the rare 11am timeslot ... I'm sure the IUP brass is jealous.

I bet they don't draw 15,000 to Heinz this weekend. And, I mean humans in seats (not the phony Pitt numbers).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They have the rare 11am timeslot ... I'm sure the IUP brass is jealous.

I bet they don't draw 15,000 to Heinz this weekend. And, I mean humans in seats (not the phony Pitt numbers).

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                              If Pitt could go 8-4 most years, I would be totally fine with that assuming that every 7-8 years you have a 9-10 win season.
                              They had that and ran the coach out of town because the most vocal and influential boosters at the time were still thirsting for the Johnny Majors era.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

They had that and ran the coach out of town because the most vocal and influential boosters at the time were still thirsting for the Johnny Majors era.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X