Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaches on the Hot Seat

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    And other sports e.g. wrestling. It reduces the incentive to redshirt the athlete. If you think you are putting them on course for a "5-year program" and they graduate in 4 there is a good chance they will leave for that 5th year. In a lot of cases it actually benefits the athlete.
    The 'redshirt' has become a very tricky item. Most kids are already bummed out they are being sent to what they view as a level below where they feel they belong. Then they get told they'll be sitting out a year. I'd love to see a stat showing what percent of D2 freshmen redshirts return to the same team the following year. It would probably be a shockingly low number.

But, I think you are on to something there. Certainly at the D1 level coaches have to be considering this grad transfer item -- probably much more so than at D2 (for now, anyway).

It's odd that this stuff hardly ever happens in the women's sports. IUP recruits women's basketball players as freshmen and they all stay 4 or 5 years. And, they like to redshirt a lot of them.

Football is just a crapshoot. That's why a couple weeks ago when people were already talking about next year's contenders ... way too early. These rosters get overhauled so much with defections, academic casualties, criminals, suspensions, transfers ... at this point you can only take a guess at what you 'should' have coming back next year. Then, as we know, August comes around and you find out 8 players are academically ineligible. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
      And other sports e.g. wrestling. It reduces the incentive to redshirt the athlete. If you think you are putting them on course for a "5-year program" and they graduate in 4 there is a good chance they will leave for that 5th year. In a lot of cases it actually benefits the athlete.

Comment

From the FCS boards looks like Kutztown's Jim Clements is getting serious consideration for the Lehigh HC opening. Would inevitably be a great stepping stone for him as he took D3 Delaware Valley and turned them into a regional power, took over a D2 underfunded Kutztown program and made them a consistent winner and regional threat so why not shoot for a higher position with a well supported and funded Lehigh program. The history of the Lehigh program is great and I'm sure funding wouldn't be too difficult the only difference is a few kids he was able to roll the dice with academically at KU he won't be afforded that chance at Lehigh with the much stricter admission policies and requirements. Just something to keep an eye on...

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
          From the FCS boards looks like Kutztown's Jim Clements is getting serious consideration for the Lehigh HC opening. Would inevitably be a great stepping stone for him as he took D3 Delaware Valley and turned them into a regional power, took over a D2 underfunded Kutztown program and made them a consistent winner and regional threat so why not shoot for a higher position with a well supported and funded Lehigh program. The history of the Lehigh program is great and I'm sure funding wouldn't be too difficult the only difference is a few kids he was able to roll the dice with academically at KU he won't be afforded that chance at Lehigh with the much stricter admission policies and requirements. Just something to keep an eye on...
          Very few schools don't lower their admission standards for athletes. Maybe the schools already toward the bottom of the bell curve. It's not open admission but I imagine they have secret numbers for an athlete that will ultimately be balanced out by the thousands of other freshmen.

One school I've worked at admitted a kid with a 670 SAT score. That's a combined math + verbal. But he was their marquee basketball recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            Very few schools don't lower their admission standards for athletes. Maybe the schools already toward the bottom of the bell curve. It's not open admission but I imagine they have secret numbers for an athlete that will ultimately be balanced out by the thousands of other freshmen.

One school I've worked at admitted a kid with a 670 SAT score. That's a combined math + verbal. But he was their marquee basketball recruit.
            Lehigh roster below including majors. Nobody studying Parks and Recreation or Kinesiology. There are a number of "Arts and Sciences" majors, though. I guess that's kind of like "Exploratory Studies."

https://lehighsports.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Comment

Sheesh I thought D1 schools couldn't admit anyone athlete or regular student with anything under a 750 that's insane. I know my brother was being recruited by Georgetown back in the early 00's for football and their coach outright said our general students score 1250-1400 easily but I have a few slots for you if you can get a 1000 along with your gpa being over a 3.0. My brother ultimately missed by a few points and ended up signing and playing at Shippensburg with Kuhn and Grimes and had a decent career before quitting to concentrate on life after football.

Comment

Can we agree that a kicker from Assumption going to LSU is a rare thing? It doesn't happen all the time, and it shouldn't be represented as the "new" norm.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                  Can we agree that a kicker from Assumption going to LSU is a rare thing? It doesn't happen all the time, and it shouldn't be represented as the "new" norm.
                  That's your assumption

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                    When was it represented as such?

Comment

Dana leaving WVU for Houston per ESPN.

Comment

Mike Yurcich heading to Ohio State.

Comment

Mike Yurcich heading to Ohio State.
                          Great move for Yurcich, if he can get them to play at a high level while winning a national title he very well could be heading a SEC program in a couple of years or at a high level Big 10 program (Michigan/Michigan State/Penn State)

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Dana leaving WVU for Houston per ESPN.
                            That was kind of shocking that a coach would leave a successful Big 12 program for a P5 job but thinking about it Houston isn't your average G5 job, the administration has pumped tons of money into their facilities (probably the top stadium in G5), pay is excellent and it's a great stepping stone for landing a SEC gig.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
                              That was kind of shocking that a coach would leave a successful Big 12 program for a P5 job but thinking about it Houston isn't your average G5 job, the administration has pumped tons of money into their facilities (probably the top stadium in G5), pay is excellent and it's a great stepping stone for landing a SEC gig.
                              I found it odd at first glance, too, until reading more about it. It sounds like he didn't feel he could recruit well enough to Morgantown to win big in the Big 12. And, of course, Houston is writing a real big check. Houston could be one of those 'boom town' jobs -- perhaps the somewhat 'ethical' version of SMU in the 1980s. Lot of BIG money down there. That type of money can do some real interesting things to a football program. Not that stuff like that actually happens :)

Comment

Morgantown is a tough place to get kids to attend. It makes some of the other Big 12 college towns in the middle of nowhere seem idyllic. They really have to want the Big 12 brand or proximity to home to want to attend.

Holgerson spent the first six years of his coaching career at the DII level but never coached against a PSAC team.

UH is a good school in a good place. Houston is probably the most underestimated city in terms of perceived size. When Sumlin was there I think they realized the city would support a winning program and that led to some great revenue. Its just UH and Rice and we know Rice isn't going to prioritize football over academics anytime soon.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X