Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be fair, officiating across the board (high school, D3, D2, D1 and professional) has been on the decline for years. many theories as to why, but look at the crews, a lot of "older gentlemen" that may not be able to keep up as they once were. Less young folks getting into the 'business'. Look at the NFL, some of those guys have a hard time walking and tying their shoes but are out there trying to keep up.

And it doesn't surprise me the PSAC doesn't know about any suspensions, etc...they don't assign officials. Officials are assigned by an assigner (in my last position I was responsible for paying the officials and submitting the home schedule to make sure we were on the rotation). That assigner assigns games for D1, D2, and D3...they (he) is/are the ones in charge of that assigning, grading officials, etc.

Comment

As an Official for 24 years, yes they are horrible. Their mechanics on the field is awful, they are not in position to make the calls they make, the huddle is because the official really don't know what to call "so they are telling the official what they saw". But the most glaring are the calls that either get someone ejected or take away long plays. Need more clinics for these new officials. Now the white hats are pretty good,

Comment

Originally posted by RockPride View Post
        To be fair, officiating across the board (high school, D3, D2, D1 and professional) has been on the decline for years. many theories as to why, but look at the crews, a lot of "older gentlemen" that may not be able to keep up as they once were. Less young folks getting into the 'business'. Look at the NFL, some of those guys have a hard time walking and tying their shoes but are out there trying to keep up.

And it doesn't surprise me the PSAC doesn't know about any suspensions, etc...they don't assign officials. Officials are assigned by an assigner (in my last position I was responsible for paying the officials and submitting the home schedule to make sure we were on the rotation). That assigner assigns games for D1, D2, and D3...they (he) is/are the ones in charge of that assigning, grading officials, etc.
        I'm not surprised that there are a declining number of people who want to be officials. Social media seems to contribute to a culture of people who find it easy to sit back and be critical of others, but who don't seem to handle criticism of themselves very well. You've always had to have a thick skin to be a good official, and it seems to me that we have fewer people like that nowadays. That's just my theory, supported by nothing much other than observation.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          As a whole ... it's a tough watch. Football is to the point you look for a flag on every play. Some of these crew want to be the show.

But, personal fouls are personal fouls. They can't NOT call them. That's one area teams have to control much better.
          That's fine . Have some Balls and pick one stop calling both offsetting that serves no purpose....just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by GregD View Post
            I was told that the officiating crew for the IUP-SRU game has been suspended but I can't confirm this.
            The league office as of yesterday was not aware of this.
            So that's 2 years in a row an IUP Road Loss leads to another crew suspension..very interesting to say the least....I would say they have it in for IUP or there just that incompetent...PATHETIC

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Wasn't there a bunch of discussion on here last year that the crew that did the Cal-IUP game got suspended as well, but was never confirmed by the league office?

How was the league office not aware of this? Do they not manage/handle the officials or is somebody else technically in charge of them?
              Each sport has there own Supervisor of officials. He is free to dole out discipline as he see's fit. Home office does not get involved unless player related incidents aka Gannon post game shenanigans. The officials do not work for the PSAC or get paid by the PSAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
                As an Official for 24 years, yes they are horrible. Their mechanics on the field is awful, they are not in position to make the calls they make, the huddle is because the official really don't know what to call "so they are telling the official what they saw". But the most glaring are the calls that either get someone ejected or take away long plays. Need more clinics for these new officials. Now the white hats are pretty good,
                Yes Tony that is true problem is decent white hat but the crew is 7, one good six bad not a good formula....The league needs to find a solution for the big games....One solution could be bring MEC Officials in to do certain games they will be totally neutral and not have to worry about being black balled...it is done in Basketball all the time and usually works just fine. Simple process the supervisors from each League trade crews PSAC crew works MEC that way everybody still works. D1 Leagues do it all the time....just sayin

Comment

IUP has, for consecutive seasons, had numerous personal fouls. Too many.

Football, especially on defensive side of the ball, is controlled aggression. Emphasis on controlled. IUP players have repeatedly demonstrated uncontrolled aggression that has penalized the team and jeopardized victory.

Controlling player on field behavior and conduct is the coaches responsibility. A responsibility that IMO has not been successfully met.

That was the thrust of my original criticism on the game thread. That and coach Torts attempt to divert attention away from personal responsibility; and refusal to acknowledge the issue exists and any responsibility to address or correct it.

I never said that Coach Tort has "lost the team" . He isn't disciplining his team members to stop the recurring conduct. First acknowledge it exists, then takes steps to curb it.

Football is a largely emotional game, however uncontrolled emotions are self destructive.

The fans and local media see the issue. Fans complain about it, and the media (Jack) tip toe around it.

As IUP fans we can't criticize other teams conduct until we clean our own home.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Ebbs View Post
                    IUP has, for consecutive seasons, had numerous personal fouls. Too many.

Football, especially on defensive side of the ball, is controlled aggression. Emphasis on controlled. IUP players have repeatedly demonstrated uncontrolled aggression that has penalized the team and jeopardized victory.

Controlling player on field behavior and conduct is the coaches responsibility. A responsibility that IMO has not been successfully met.

That was the thrust of my original criticism on the game thread. That and coach Torts attempt to divert attention away from personal responsibility; and refusal to acknowledge the issue exists and any responsibility to address or correct it.

I never said that Coach Tort has "lost the team" . He isn't disciplining his team members to stop the recurring conduct. First acknowledge it exists, then takes steps to curb it.

Football is a largely emotional game, however uncontrolled emotions are self destructive.

The fans and local media see the issue. Fans complain about it, and the media (Jack) tip toe around it.

As IUP fans we can't criticize other teams conduct until we clean our own home.
                    If IUP doesn't lead the country in special teams personal fouls over the last 3 years I'd love to know who does.

And, then it's the pushing after plays, etc. It has to drive Tort insane.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If IUP doesn't lead the country in special teams personal fouls over the last 3 years I'd love to know who does.

And, then it's the pushing after plays, etc. It has to drive Tort insane.
                      I'm with you. I think the question becomes - and none of us here are coaches - is how do you stop that? These aren't high school kids that you can go threaten with running suicides instead of practicing. Different level of sports. The days of running and conditioning as "punishment" are long past when you get to the college game. I'm all for getting selfish guys off the field, but it's a double edged sword. The guys committing the fouls after the play are on the field for a reason... Because they are better than their replacements standing on the sidelines.

This has been an issue for three years. It's obviously not improved. So what's the answer for improving it at this point?

Comment

"The days of disciplining are over ".......

I don't buy that at all!

One technique is to tell the players what is and is not acceptable on field conduct. Violate the "not acceptable" threshothre gets the player some face time with position or head coach. Do it again and the player gets benched for a few plays or series. Repeat it more gets more extended bench time.

Most players will "get it" and adjust. Teammate will see it too, and understand it, if done out in the open for all to see. If a player doesn't respond you can try other steps, but chances are the player may never adjust and will be a long term problem. Buy that one a bench seat.

One or two "10 cent head" players are not worth ruining a teams season.

Comment

Short term pain for long term gain with this approach.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Ebbs View Post
                            Short term pain for long term gain with this approach.
                            Go too far, though, and it's a fast track for players leaving via transfer. Or, worse.

Different world. Different kids.

Let us not forget the ugly precedent set by SRU last year in the firing of 'tough' men's basketball coach Kevin Reynolds after his players banned together and refused to play until he was fired. Long story short is this happened weeks before the season started. He got canned. To be fair, there are different versions of this story. But, the end result was his termination.

SRU gave him three years pay (his remaining contract) plus benefits ... basically to go away.

That's extreme, obviously, but the player / coach relationship of yester-year is long gone. It's a real fine line with this generation.

IUP certainly has some, well, vocally extreme coaches on staff. One in particular.

Whatever the message is they are sending or not sending isn't working in regard to these constant, bone-headed personal fouls. Three years isn't a small sample size, either.

I have no doubt, at some point, it will cost them again this season.

Comment

What ever they are doing isn't working. Understatement of the season.

Comment

"Whatever they are doing, isn't working" is the bottom line 100%

The 22 penalties against SRU vs Shippensburg was absurd and needed to be addressed PUBLICLY by the commish.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X