Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

With a few exceptions, they've always seemed to have trouble getting a football program together at Lock Haven.
    That depends on how far you go back. Prior to 1990 LH always had a decent program. Nobody knows the exact reason LHU is no good in football. However, and I really hate to say it because I always supported Dr. Sharon Taylor. but Sharon Taylor's reign as AD at LH pretty much corresponds chronologically with the downfall of the football program. She was AD from 1987 to 2012, when she was essentially ridden out of town on a rail.

Taylor is an iconic figure in U.S. women's sports. She is credited with bringing the sport of Field Hockey into the NCAA. Under her direction, women's sports flourished at LH. They won numerous D2 FH NC's before the program became a successful D1 program. They won the NC in Lacrosse and they won multiple NC's in women's softball. These are great accomplishments, however, the time period also corresponds to football flopping.

They said she screwed over the men's programs. Maybe it was just what equity looks like. Darned if I know.

Can't avoid the implications in this discussion. I'm sure IUPNation will appreciate this post.

None of it matters now. They need to figure out the future or they might end up going the route taken by Mansfield.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 11-03-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That depends on how far you go back. Prior to 1990 LH always had a decent program. Nobody knows the exact reason LHU is no good in football. However, and I really hate to say it because I always supported Dr. Sharon Taylor. but Sharon Taylor's reign as AD at LH pretty much corresponds chronologically with the downfall of the football program. She was AD from 1987 to 2012, when she was essentially ridden out of town on a rail.

Taylor is an iconic figure in U.S. women's sports. She is credited with bringing the sport of Field Hockey into the NCAA. Under her direction, women's sports flourished at LH. They won numerous D2 FH NC's before the program became a successful D1 program. They won the NC in Lacrosse and they won multiple NC's in women's softball. These are great accomplishments, however, the time period also corresponds to football flopping.

They said she screwed over the men's programs. Maybe it was just what equity looks like. Darned if I know.

Can't avoid the implications in this discussion. I'm sure IUPNation will appreciate this post.

None of it matters now. They need to figure out the future or they might end up going the route taken by Mansfield.
      I think you'd better go back a little further than 1990. Their combined divisional record from 1980 through 1989 was 7-45-1, which included four winless seasons and four one-win seasons within the division. They have four PSAC football titles, but two were in the 1930s when writers determined the champion and another was a co-championship with Ship in 1957 when the Saylor point system determined the winner. They did win their division in 1960 and won the championship in the State Game in 1979. Other than that, exceptional seasons are hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I think you'd better go back a little further than 1990. Their combined divisional record from 1980 through 1989 was 7-45-1, which included four winless seasons and four one-win seasons within the division. They have four PSAC football titles, but two were in the 1930s when writers determined the champion and another was a co-championship with Ship in 1957 when the Saylor point system determined the winner. They did win their division in 1960 and won the championship in the State Game in 1979. Other than that, exceptional seasons are hard to find.
        I guess that debunks the Taylor theory then.
        Last edited by iupgroundhog; 11-03-2019, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X