Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaches on the Hot Seat

PSAC Finest. Anyone know who is in the rumor mill for not being retained (Fired) this year as Head Coach? I would think Gannon and Mercyhurst will be looking at new coaching possibilities.

I've heard Ryzycki is goner and Schatzle is looking elsewhere. They don't want to fire Marty because of how long he's been there, but they need a new direction. What about Bloom, any news Bloom guys?

Comment

There's one poster who probably wants Ship to sink Coach Mac after this season hahahahhaha. Out of the traditional PSAC schools I don't see any coach being in danger of losing their jobs this year. Maybe LHU makes a change next year if they don't improve. If anything I think WCU may want to start planning ahead because I believe depending on how Delaware finishes up they may look to Zwann if they want a proven alumni HC to run their program. If he can make Widener and WCU competitive in conference and in region with limited funds imagine what he would be able to do with 63 scholarships at his disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
        There's one poster who probably wants Ship to sink Coach Mac after this season hahahahhaha.
        Word out of Lock Haven is that one person is upset they pay a market average salary to their head coach!

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
          There's one poster who probably wants Ship to sink Coach Mac after this season hahahahhaha. Out of the traditional PSAC schools I don't see any coach being in danger of losing their jobs this year. Maybe LHU makes a change next year if they don't improve. If anything I think WCU may want to start planning ahead because I believe depending on how Delaware finishes up they may look to Zwann if they want a proven alumni HC to run their program. If he can make Widener and WCU competitive in conference and in region with limited funds imagine what he would be able to do with 63 scholarships at his disposal.
          I think he would have pursued it a while ago, but once they hired KC Keeler, that mood may have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by RockNation View Post
            I've heard Ryzycki is goner and Schatzle is looking elsewhere. They don't want to fire Marty because of how long he's been there, but they need a new direction. What about Bloom, any news Bloom guys?
            Coach Darragh has the 2nd most wins in school history after 7 years as HC. I have heard football experts and former coaches say this is the best coaching job they have seen at Bloom. The injuries and missing pieces have caused the coaching staff to rearrange the offense and defense to hide weaknesses. It has cause the coaching staff to make a lot of changes. I think Darragh is safe.

Comment

That clown at Gannon should've been fired years ago. TRASH!!!

Comment

This conversation works two ways. Rather than being on a hot seat is there any coach seen as a hot commodity?

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

Coach Darragh has the 2nd most wins in school history after 7 years as HC. I have heard football experts and former coaches say this is the best coaching job they have seen at Bloom. The injuries and missing pieces have caused the coaching staff to rearrange the offense and defense to hide weaknesses. It has cause the coaching staff to make a lot of changes. I think Darragh is safe.

Thank you! Also, I do not see a coach in the conference being a hot commodity, but someone leaves every year. I'm not sure if any of the Rock guys will leave, but never say never. Lutz appears to have a good crew.

Comment

Originally posted by RockNation View Post

Thank you! Also, I do not see a coach in the conference being a hot commodity, but someone leaves every year. I'm not sure if any of the Rock guys will leave, but never say never. Lutz appears to have a good crew.
                    I didn't mean assistants as they are often times here today and gone tomorrow. I was thinking more of a Curt Cignetti situation.

Comment

Without knowing the contract situation of everyone, its hard to know. These schools don't have the money to eat salary for a football coach. At $100k salary, you're looking at $300-350k total cost because you'd have to pay out COBRA and unused PTO. The private schools are different because they're not under the APSCUF coaches CBA. I'm not sure if they have multi-year deals or are at-will.

Clarion's coach is frequently checking the hue of the grass elsewhere.

Most likely to have a hot seat: Ryzycki and Taynor.

Most likely to call it a day & ride off into the sunset (hopefully not during a game): Schatzle and Zwaan (didn't know his health has been an issue)

https://www.inquirer.com/college-spo...-20190907.html
                      Last edited by Fightingscot82; 10-29-2019, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I didn't mean assistants as they are often times here today and gone tomorrow. I was thinking more of a Curt Cignetti situation.
                        I don't think it is solely based on there success in their position. Most .600 plus coaches could find a higher D2 or FCS job that would hire them but do they need the uncertainty of changing jobs, moving their family and setting themselves up to fail. If they have a two income family in a suburban or rural setting and enjoy the situation they're in, the urge to move for the status of a "better" job likely doesn't seem as strong. Then after a point age starts to come in to play and the needs of your children figure into your plans.

Comment

I would like to think coaches sign 5 year deals which would mean LHU's coach deal should be up at the end of the season which likely means his probability of returning are slimmer than any other PSAC HC given the state of that program. Having an all conference player transfer to a D3 school can't be good for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                            Without knowing the contract situation of everyone, its hard to know. These schools don't have the money to eat salary for a football coach. At $100k salary, you're looking at $300-350k total cost because you'd have to pay out COBRA and unused PTO. The private schools are different because they're not under the APSCUF coaches CBA. I'm not sure if they have multi-year deals or are at-will.

Clarion's coach is frequently checking the hue of the grass elsewhere.

Most likely to have a hot seat: Ryzycki and Taynor.

Most likely to call it a day & ride off into the sunset (hopefully not during a game): Schatzle and Zwaan (didn't know his health has been an issue)

https://www.inquirer.com/college-spo...-20190907.html
                            I tend to agree with you on this. I believe Schetzle is in his last year of a contract, so a decision may be made already. He's been looking around for a new position for the past 3 years. Gannon coach not sure where he sits, but looking at the talent that they have, needs to really be searching for something else, like being in-charge of Fries at McD's. LHU is just trying to keep everything where it is, a new AD may be in order for this program to breath new life.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                              I don't think it is solely based on there success in their position. Most .600 plus coaches could find a higher D2 or FCS job that would hire them but do they need the uncertainty of changing jobs, moving their family and setting themselves up to fail. If they have a two income family in a suburban or rural setting and enjoy the situation they're in, the urge to move for the status of a "better" job likely doesn't seem as strong. Then after a point age starts to come in to play and the needs of your children figure into your plans.
                              And certainly the "hottest" coach at Shippensburg in recent years was offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich, who went on to the same position with Oklahoma State, now coaches QBs and the passing game at Ohio State, and undoubtedly makes many times the salary of any PSAC head coach.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X