Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
    Former Shippensburg offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich has just been hired as the OC for Texas after stops at Oklahoma State and Ohio State. He's had quite a career arc.
    I'm not saying Shippensburg shouldn't be proud of Yurcich's rise in the coaching ranks (because they should be), but a couple of other PSAC schools should also join in. He was the starting QB at Cal for a few seasons in the 1990s and then spent five years as an assistant at Edinboro before his two seasons at Shippensburg.

IUP fans will be happy to hear Yurcich came to Edinboro when he was hired after being a GA at Indiana (the other Indiana) by none other than Lou Tepper.
    http://www.indianagazette.com
    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I'm not saying Shippensburg shouldn't be proud of Yurcich's rise in the coaching ranks (because they should be), but a couple of other PSAC schools should also join in. He was the starting QB at Cal for a few seasons in the 1990s and then spent five years as an assistant at Edinboro before his two seasons at Shippensburg.

IUP fans will be happy to hear Yurcich came to Edinboro when he was hired after being a GA at Indiana (the other Indiana) by none other than Lou Tepper.

Do you mean THE Lou Tepper?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post

Uh, his name was Zulli
        Yeah, Zulli called his own plays, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

True enough, but it was the exploits of his Ship offense led by Zulli that brought him to the attention of Oklahoma State. But there's nothing wrong with the other schools saying "he was here" as well. We have some good coaching minds in the PSAC, but seem to be behind the eight-ball in recruiting compared to other regions at present. I recall some Penn State fans denigrating Franklin when he was hired because he had once played for East Stroudsburg.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I'm glad to hear you as an ex-player are seeing some of what I do. The offense suited both the Z-guys, Zulli and Zapoticky, because they could run, and Chase Yocum was primarily a running QB when he came off the bench. Zulli was a fantastic passer, but I think Zapoticky actually might have been the best all-around QB for that offense as he was an excellent runner and a strong passing threat as well. Mussina doesn't seem to have the quick-twitch running style that works so well in the option, and his body type isn't really suited for it. I follow Northwestern in the Big 10 as I went to grad school there, and they had something of the same issue with Clayton Thorson, who started four years at QB for them. Thorson actually had pretty good wheels when he got up a head of steam, but he was very awkward with the option, and the Cats had little success with the RPO while he was there, even though they had an outstanding running back in Justin Jackson for three of Thorson's years. Northwestern was terrible this year, primarily because their QB situation blew up (and they had a lot of injuries). They hired a new OC who says he will adapt his system to the personnel that is available — sounds sensible to me. As Mussina will probably be Ship's QB for the next couple of seasons, I'm thinking they ought to make some concessions to his style — maybe just run more of a straight offense and get a second back in the backfield with him on occasion to block and slip out on wheel routes. As you say, there is little point in the read option if they're not going to respect him as a runner.
            Rob Klock a former teammate of mine had a son Trey that played at Georgia Tech .He played as a Grad transfer for Northwestern in 2017and 2018.He caught a TD pass against in there last bowl game. Rob and Trey attended the West Chester game last year.Cam Tinner’s dad was a former Teammate of mine.I tailgate with them.Cam started at dtackle last year as a redshirt sophomore.I also know Crae McCracken and his family.Crae grew up in my area.Mike Mussina is up my way too.I saw Brycen play in high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Raider 74 View Post

Rob Klock a former teammate of mine had a son Trey that played at Georgia Tech .He played as a Grad transfer for Northwestern in 2017and 2018.He caught a TD pass against in there last bowl game. Rob and Trey attended the West Chester game last year.Cam Tinner’s dad was a former Teammate of mine.I tailgate with them.Cam started at dtackle last year as a redshirt sophomore.I also know Crae McCracken and his family.Crae grew up in my area.Mike Mussina is up my way too.I saw Brycen play in high school.
              Yeah, I must have watched that catch of Trey's at least 10 times. That was certainly one of the great comebacks in Northwestern history. I'd almost left them for dead at halftime. Rob did a nice job coaching at Lower Dauphin. I graduated from Mechanicsburg, so am somewhat familiar with LD. I'll definitely have to try to look you guys up next season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X