• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
    What was going on in 2014? Isn't that the year they went 6-5? Those numbers do not correlate to the team's performance given that the 2017 team won the SR and the 2014 team was average.
    Those are based on the offical numbers released. IUP had some big number in for the St. Augustine's game (over 4k) and that spiked it.

I was at that game. That 4k+ posted number is, well, highly questionable.

Leave a comment:

• IUPMonk
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Further trend in the numbers regarding the 12pm/1pm kickoff specific to IUP actual attendance:

12pm/1pm time slot:

2014 - 2,493 avg
    2015 - 1,734 avg
    2016 - 1,955 avg
    2017 - 1,816 avg
    2018 - 1,504 avg

Not heading in a good direction. Almost down a thousand per game in the past 5 years in the early time-slot.
    What was going on in 2014? Isn't that the year they went 6-5? Those numbers do not correlate to the team's performance given that the 2017 team won the SR and the 2014 team was average.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

This topic made me remember perhaps my favorite game ever at Miller Stadium.

Sept. 30, 2000 (7pm)

SRU at IUP

McKavish vs. Eyerman

Dr. Evil vs. Frank

IUP won, late, 24-20. Tink Stennent, for those who remember him, was the hero that night. That was the biggest crowd I've ever seen in person at Miller. The fence was two-deep the whole way around the field. It was by far the loudest I've ever heard Miller. Tink broke free late in the game down to the corner (where IUP used to enter the field). That was a moment.

That also was really in the boiling point of the rivalry, too. It was not far removed from the 'Rock Dance' by IUP up there or the 'Dr. Evil Dance' at Miller.

I've probably seen close to 150 games in Miller, give or take, and that is in my Top 3.

The Ashland game two years ago is probably another of them. I still don't know how he made that kick. Incredible.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I didn't run the '2pm' kick because that's Homecoming and will obviously be the biggest number every year regardless of which time-slot.

I'm guessing if I went back another five years the trend will be identical.

The middle time-slot, yes, you may have to turn on the lights. You know, the brand new ones they just bought for the intramural program.

As for cold night games ... you'll get the 'cold' one (like Cal at IUP in 2015). BUT, that was probably one of the best atmospheres in Miller in three decades.

But, as the numbers show, attendance spikes 33 percent by playing at 4 p.m. as opposed to noon ... 1,000 per game. What's that worth in dollars for a small-time program? It certainly makes for a better atmosphere.

I'm a HUGE advocate for the PSAC moving several games a year to Thursday night. Become the only show in town ... no Pitt, WVU or PSU competition. No pee-wee football or soccer competition.

Can you imagine IUP hosting Cal or SRU on a Thursday night with all the students actually here? It would be as close to 'crazy' as Miller could get.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Further trend in the numbers regarding the 12pm/1pm kickoff specific to IUP actual attendance:

12pm/1pm time slot:

2014 - 2,493 avg
    2015 - 1,734 avg
    2016 - 1,955 avg
    2017 - 1,816 avg
    2018 - 1,504 avg

Not heading in a good direction. Almost down a thousand per game in the past 5 years in the early time-slot.
    I think there is pretty much a consensus on the board that 12pm starts are not desirable. I do remember one poster saying he liked 12pm because of the logistics of coming in from out of town and getting home the same day. That's one person, though.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

12pm/1pm time slot:

2014 - 2,493 avg
    2015 - 1,734 avg
    2016 - 1,955 avg
    2017 - 1,816 avg
    2018 - 1,504 avg

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That's 1,000 more in the seats at 4pm compared to 12pm/1pm. That's a real big difference at this level.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Actual IUP attendance:

Past 5 years

12pm/1pm avg gate: 1,900

4pm avg gate: 2,921

7pm avg gate: 3,074

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Because Joe Lombardi knows Saturday night is the best atmosphere and will draw the best. He doesn't want the funeral home feeling from across the parking lot.

I don't buy the cold weather nonsense. PSU gets 100,000 on Saturday night even it it's 3 degrees. It's not that cold around here in late October and the first weekend in November. If anything it's too freaking hot at noon in September.
    Here's a thought. A thought and a fact. The thought is that you can't compare going to an IUP game with a PSU game. The fact is that IUP does not have 12pm kick-offs in September. They didn't last year and they don't have 12pm scheduled in September in 2019. They did in 2017. Are they heeding our advice?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    If 12pm was a good start time, why doesn't IUP start their Saturday basketball games at 12pm?
    Because Joe Lombardi knows Saturday night is the best atmosphere and will draw the best. He doesn't want the funeral home feeling from across the parking lot.

I don't buy the cold weather nonsense. PSU gets 100,000 on Saturday night even it it's 3 degrees. It's not that cold around here in late October and the first weekend in November. If anything it's too freaking hot at noon in September.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Wow, you must have went to much more of a football high school than I did. We won FOUR games in my four years of high school. Lucky bloody you!

But your point is well taken----we were no doubt so very grateful to have a good football program and took a lot of pride in supporting it during our time at IUP and beyond.

-
    Last edited by IUPNation; 07-11-2019, 07:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

If 12pm was a good start time, why doesn't IUP start their Saturday basketball games at 12pm?
    Timing is off. Let me repeat my previous post. "What is 'because it's indoors, Alex'?" Please excuse my sarcasm.

BTW, I didn't say 12pm was a good time. I only said why I think they have it and disagreed that it was because university staff want to get home early on Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    What do you mean?

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Fair points. Then why don't Saturday basketball games start at 12pm?
    What is 'because it's indoors, Alex?'

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Fair points. Then why don't Saturday basketball games start at 12pm?
    What do you mean?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X