X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bart
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Are you suggesting that IUP would be in a league of its own?

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post

But in the OP, Mercyhurst isn't part of the PSAC new football league. Perhaps the new leagues should have two divisions, the stable and the unstable.
    Are you suggesting that IUP would be in a league of its own?

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Mercyhurst too.
    But in the OP, Mercyhurst isn't part of the PSAC new football league. Perhaps the new leagues should have two divisions, the stable and the unstable.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

What's the "OP?"
    Original post.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Does this mean IUP is the only school in the PSAC with a negative outlook? This would certainly affect the new conference alignment.
    Mercyhurst too.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Does this mean IUP is the only school in the PSAC with a negative outlook? This would certainly affect the new conference alignment.
    The way I interpret it is that IUP is the only PSAC school, that has financing through secured general obligation bonds and is one of the 436 schools (149 of them public) rated by S&P that has a negative outlook. It could be the only one in that category. Here is the definition of the GO financing.

A general obligation bond (GO) is a municipal bond backed by the credit and taxing power of the issuing jurisdiction rather than the revenue from a given project. General obligation bonds are issued with the belief that a municipality will be able to repay its debt
    obligation through taxation or revenue from projects.

So, I'm pretty sure this has to do mostly from the KCAC financing and possibly also from privatized residence financing. Both of those are dependent on revenue from their operations to pay off bonds. As we know, the KCAC has been decimated. I believe all events through August are canceled. It probably will go beyond August. The private housing doesn't have a rosy outlook, either.

This is bad for IUP. Aside from the factors that will impact all schools, IUP has a high percentage of foreign students, especially grad students and particularly in the Business school. That will likely make the enrollment impact bigger.

Leave a comment:

• Dirty Harry
    replied

The new conference alignment would include IUP because they are good. And, if your going to have schools in some debt, they ought to be good, or have potential to be. The 3 private schools have underachieved with their resources in football.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Funny, but the schools mentioned in the OP aren't on these lists with a Standard & Poors negative financial outlook. Cash reserves means everything.

https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/...mpact-11469520
    What's the "OP?"

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Funny, but the schools mentioned in the OP aren't on these lists with a Standard & Poors negative financial outlook. Cash reserves means everything.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

The Dips! I wonder if The Dips have ever played The Zips.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

The problem is the federal Title IX formulas would be called into question if a disproportionate amount of women's sports are cut compared to men's sports.
    Correct. Tdobson is thinking logically but unfortunately Title IX is about equity and every PASSHE school is 55-60% women.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by Tdobson View Post
    [S]ince most women's sports don't bring in as much money as the men, shouldn't they be the first to go? The only women's sport I can think of that would bring in money would be women's basketball.
    The problem is the federal Title IX formulas would be called into question if a disproportionate amount of women's sports are cut compared to men's sports.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I have two questions: one, who has a nicer field in Lancaster County? I am just wondering, I went to Millersville twice for football games, and it was nice, but it was when they had grass. I should also point out, I am not from that area, I went to IUP and honestly don't know what schools are around that area. Two, since most women's sports don't bring in as much money as the men, shouldn't they be the first to go? The only women's sport I can think of that would bring in money would be women's basketball.

Leave a comment:

• Dirty Harry
    replied
    I have two questions: one, who has a nicer field in Lancaster County? I am just wondering, I went to Millersville twice for football games, and it was nice, but it was when they had grass. I should also point out, I am not from that area, I went to IUP and honestly don't know what schools are around that area. Two, since most women's sports don't bring in as much money as the men, shouldn't they be the first to go? The only women's sport I can think of that would bring in money would be women's basketball.
    The Ville has a turf game field, and a turf practice field. Very nice setup.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X