X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Harry
    replied
    Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
    To the original thread...Wow, talk about having absolutely NO understanding of what challenges colleges are facing. Their challenge is NOT making fans happy. Their challenge is filling seats in the classroom. So expect expanding, not contracting of sports. More sports give more students more opportunities to compete. If you haven't noticed, it's now the entire model for D II...Wake up and wash your hands...
    Just woke up and realized that , oh by the way, the shortage of students has been created by the colleges because they priced themselves out of business and students. Really, why would any non-athlete go to a campus for the first two years, and pay the freight, when they could live at home, go to community college, work, and save a ton of money? That's why the classrooms and dorms are not filled. So, the people we are counting on created the problem, and now they're going to solve it? So, adding sports is going to solve that? . It's bigger than adding sports. Besides, who cares what the current D2 model is? The original thread was about PSAC football , and creating a conference of state schools that would be even more competitive with deeper rosters via fewer teams and equal out of state recruitment.

Leave a comment:

• Tdobson
    replied
    I have two questions: one, who has a nicer field in Lancaster County? I am just wondering, I went to Millersville twice for football games, and it was nice, but it was when they had grass. I should also point out, I am not from that area, I went to IUP and honestly don't know what schools are around that area. Two, since most women's sports don't bring in as much money as the men, shouldn't they be the first to go? The only women's sport I can think of that would bring in money would be women's basketball.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
    To the original thread...Wow, talk about having absolutely NO understanding of what challenges colleges are facing. Their challenge is NOT making fans happy. Their challenge is filling seats in the classroom. So expect expanding, not contracting of sports. More sports give more students more opportunities to compete. If you haven't noticed, it's now the entire model for D II...Wake up and wash your hands...
    More sports (non-revenue) at the D2 level also means more enrolled students paying their own way - exactly what every camous needs right now.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    As long as it's proportional to campus enrollment they wouldn't have much of a case.
    Right. And football has always been a huge Title IX factor due to a team's roster size.

In 2013, Temple dropped baseball and softball, men's and women's rowing, men's gymnastics, men's indoor track and field and men's outdoor track and field. The motivation was a reduction in costs, but three more men's sports were dropped than women's, so there was obviously some Title IX alignment there as they retained women's gymnastics and women's indoor and outdoor track and field.

Last edited by Horror Child; 05-01-2020, 06:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

You don't see potential gender bias discrimination suits over this?
    As long as it's proportional to campus enrollment they wouldn't have much of a case.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

On what grounds?
    You don't see potential gender bias discrimination suits over this?

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied

I will be blunt. This is the most ridiculous idea I've ever seen. As messed up as Harrisburg is, there is no way you're going to see any PASSHE schools closed, given the political realities of the state. Gannon and Mercyhurst do bring value to the PSAC - granted not so much in football, but they've more than held their own in non-revenue sports - and pushing them out of the league is not happening. It's especially not happening as long as the current PSAC commissioner is a Gannon alum.

As for capping men's sports to only four, that's not happening without a slew of lawsuits being filed, not to mention a drop in enrollment that makes the problem worse.

I'm sorry that I wasted time reading this idea, if we're going to be blunt.
    On what grounds?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post

Facilities include, stadium, weight room, practice fields(Ville has turf), coaches offices, and meeting rooms. That's usually the tour that D1 recruits get.
    Never knew Millersville has coaches offices and a weight room. Impressive indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Dirty Harry
    replied

I will be blunt. This is the most ridiculous idea I've ever seen. As messed up as Harrisburg is, there is no way you're going to see any PASSHE schools closed, given the political realities of the state. Gannon and Mercyhurst do bring value to the PSAC - granted not so much in football, but they've more than held their own in non-revenue sports - and pushing them out of the league is not happening. It's especially not happening as long as the current PSAC commissioner is a Gannon alum.

As for capping men's sports to only four, that's not happening without a slew of lawsuits being filed, not to mention a drop in enrollment that makes the problem worse.

I'm sorry that I wasted time reading this idea, if we're going to be blunt.
    Actually, schools don't have to close, people realign conferences all the time, adding teams, subtracting teams, etc. Who ever thought West Virginia would be in the Big 12, or that Penn State was not part of an Eastern Conference. This is about football, not about anything else. And, nobody said it was going to happen. But, every once in a while, it's good to think outside of the box. And, in a conference such as this, it would be tremendously competitive, and it would make schools and people evaluate what it will take to be competitive. Instead of everybody running the spread offense, in order to compete, coaches may have to run other styles of offense. Bloomsburg won big for many years with the sprint draw offense, and nobody else ran it nor did they defend it very well. So, while we are all teleworking, we can reevaluate a lot of things.
    Last edited by Dirty Harry; 04-30-2020, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dirty Harry
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

What would you call this new league?
    I guess PSAC, but am open lol,

Leave a comment:

• Dirty Harry
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Millersville doesn't even have the best football stadium in Lancaster County.
    Facilities include, stadium, weight room, practice fields(Ville has turf), coaches offices, and meeting rooms. That's usually the tour that D1 recruits get.

Leave a comment:

• BlueJay
    replied
    Dirty Harry makes some valid points! That is not to say I am anxious to see any of what he intimates to happen. The 10 team conference he suggests would, however, definitely be dominated by the likes of IUP, SRU, Cal and possibly WCU, because of the amount of $$$ available at those schools for football scholarships. Not WCU, which is unique in their success with limited resources.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Regardless of whether any state schools close, this was not about other sports, strictly football.Who do you think has the best facilities? I guess when I read about some of our PASSHE schools operating in debt, or the reduction of students attending some of them, there's nothing wrong with having a state of the union evaluation on PSAC football and how it can compete at a higher post-season level. But, we can keep the same old PSAC, and then continue to complain about how all of these other conferences have advantages and greater commitments to football. This site is called D2 Football, not D2 Everything else. The conference added 3 Private Schools with 30 plus scholarships, close to the D2 max. What do we have to show for it? With that amount of scholarship money, they have completely underachieved. If you want to throw Clarion and Edinboro back in for a 12 team conference with an 11 game conference schedule, fine. Same old, same old.
    Millersville doesn't even have the best football stadium in Lancaster County.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    With possible consolidation/elimination of schools financially in the PASSHE post Covid, maybe it's time to evaluate what a stronger PSAC would look like. If some schools were to close, it would mean that those players would add depth to programs in other schools thus making the teams deeper and more talented from top to bottom. Secondly, an equal out-of-state policy for the remaining state system schools, like the 40% discount at Kutztown( a lot of out of state players on the roster, 1/3) increases the talent pool , and makes teams better and more able to compete for a national championship. So
    here goes with the New PSAC.
    **** Drop Lock Haven, Clarion, and Edinboro Send Seton Hill to the MEC along with Gannon and Mercyhurt to the GMAC
    **** 10 Team Conference , KU, ESU, Bloom, Ville, WCU, Ship, IUP, Cal, Rock, Shepherd
    **** Form one conference with 9 conference games, and 2 OOC, with MEC, NE-10,
    **** Despite Ville's performance along the lines of Lock Haven and Clarion, they are kept because of population proximity,

**** Mandate that on the men's side of athletics, there be only a max of 4 sports/ No Division 1 sports, thus plowing more resources into few sports, and be able to keep in line with Title IX
    Just some thoughts while we are teleworking.
    What would you call this new league?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X