Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSAC Football

The Big 10 and PAC 10 changed their minds and are starting football back up. The rest who have been playing for two months now (including camp) seem to be mostly doing just fine -- same with the vast majority of high schools.

It makes me wonder why the PSAC couldn't change its mind. I realize it's getting late now (9/28). They'd need at least two weeks of a 'camp'.

But, it looks more and more with every week that passes that they surely could have played this year.

Most thought D1 and high school would last a week. That hasn't been the case. Minus the fans being banned (in most cases) it's been business as usual.

My guess is that the decision wasn't about making money. They did decide to play in March, so weather-wise it might be better than November. In my time in Edinboro, we got more big snowfalls (10+ inches) in November than we did in March. I also think the chances that we can have a normal-ish season with fans in the stands are better in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      My guess is that the decision wasn't about making money. They did decide to play in March, so weather-wise it might be better than November. In my time in Edinboro, we got more big snowfalls (10+ inches) in November than we did in March. I also think the chances that we can have a normal-ish season with fans in the stands are better in the spring.
      I agree with the fans, but, ... in all reality, the 'fans' at our games only really come in to play at a few of our schools.

If you look back at last year (with no fan restrictions) only a handful averaged more than 50 percent occupancy -- most were under 20 percent occupancy.

I'd have to guess for about 98% of D2 programs any given season isn't about making money. It's probably more a focus on cutting losses.

Hopefully they do at least play in the Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I agree with the fans, but, ... in all reality, the 'fans' at our games only really come in to play at a few of our schools.

If you look back at last year (with no fan restrictions) only a handful averaged more than 50 percent occupancy -- most were under 20 percent occupancy.

I'd have to guess for about 98% of D2 programs any given season isn't about making money. It's probably more a focus on cutting losses.

Hopefully they do at least play in the Spring.
        In the current plan, it would be 6 games of division-only play. That significantly cuts down on travel costs, especially if the non-conference game was an over-nighter. That's all I know and it comes from an e-mail sent by the Edinboro coaching staff to donors.

Attendance does matter, though. Most PSAC schools put gameday revenue back into the athletics general scholarship fund (or some similar fund). With that model, I don't think its fair to consider staffing costs against revenue using a traditional equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

In the current plan, it would be 6 games of division-only play. That significantly cuts down on travel costs, especially if the non-conference game was an over-nighter. That's all I know and it comes from an e-mail sent by the Edinboro coaching staff to donors.

Attendance does matter, though. Most PSAC schools put gameday revenue back into the athletics general scholarship fund (or some similar fund). With that model, I don't think its fair to consider staffing costs against revenue using a traditional equation.
          Any word if D2 is going to waive a year of eligibility for the Spring (meaning a kid can play the 6 games and it won't count toward his eligibility)? If they don't, I suspect many will sit out the Spring -- especially older players.

Comment

Any word if D2 is going to waive a year of eligibility for the Spring (meaning a kid can play the 6 games and it won't count toward his eligibility)? If they don't, I suspect many will sit out the Spring -- especially older players.
            I haven't heard or seen anything - but I believe it should count. They could adjust the clock to have spring 2021 count for fall 2020 eligibility. Academically, it helps the schools because guys who would have left after the fall 2020 season will be enrolled an extra semester. Hell, that may even be an unwritten goal of the plan.

Comment

Eligibility for fall athletes, sport sponsorship and team equivalency limits all were addressed Wednesday by the Division II Administrative Committee.
              http://www.indianagazette.com
              www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

I've heard that Spring football may be 4 games - 2 home and 2 away. Of course nothing set in stone...and it's just a rumor.

Comment

Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
                  I've heard that Spring football may be 4 games - 2 home and 2 away. Of course nothing set in stone...and it's just a rumor.
                  What's the point ... at that point?

If I'm a coach ... no chance I'm playing my stars for a 4-game season. Why risk injury in four exhibitions when the 2021 season won't be far away? Sounds like a good idea for freshmen and sophomores.

Comment

If I'm a coach ... no chance I'm playing my stars for a 4-game season. Why risk injury in four exhibitions when the 2021 season won't be far away? Sounds like a good idea for freshmen and sophomores.
                    AGREED

Comment

I agree. With no playoffs, 4 games seems like the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Comment

Merritt (safety) and Hence (WR) of Mercyhyurst both entered the transfer portal as grad transfers.

Comment

Merritt (safety) and Hence (WR) of Mercyhyurst both entered the transfer portal as grad transfers.
                          I look for Hence to probably look to a Ohio D2/D3 school who will allow him to play in the spring. Merritt I think will look to the Ohio/Michigan D2 schools as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

I look for Hence to probably look to a Ohio D2/D3 school who will allow him to play in the spring. Merritt I think will look to the Ohio/Michigan D2 schools as well.
                            Both would be nice additions. I never thought Mercyhurst used Hence well. He could thrive in a more-balanced offense. Marty-Ball doesn't exactly let WRs shine.

Comment

Not that is likely matters but close of business today is the deadline for any PSAC schools to declare they want to play Spring football. If six agree to play, they will have a conference champion awarded.

If any elect to play -- say a couple -- they could still play an independent schedule.

I wouldn't hold your breath ... but today is the official deadline.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X