Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Luke Perry

Some sad news for us of the ever-aging Generation-X clique with the passing of actor Luke Perry at the age of 52. Perry of course shot to fame by portraying the brooding and wealthy Dylan McKay on the 1990s hit show Beverly Hills, 90210. It can probably be said that the suspenseful buildup of McKay's relationship with a mob chieftain's daughter that culminated in the episode "One Wedding and a Funeral" in November of 1995 may have been television at its finest. The classic episode also marked his departure from the show until he would make his return three years later for the final year and half run of the drama.

-

Re: OT: Luke Perry

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Some sad news for us of the ever-aging Generation-X clique with the passing of actor Luke Perry at the age of 52. Perry of course shot to fame by portraying the brooding and wealthy Dylan McKay on the 1990s hit show Beverly Hills, 90210. It can probably be said that the suspenseful buildup of McKay's relationship with a mob chieftain's daughter that culminated in the episode "One Wedding and a Funeral" in November of 1995 may have been television at its finest. The classic episode also marked his departure from the show until he would make his return three years later for the final year and half run of the drama.

-
    He was far and away the best actor on 90210. Not even close. Like it or not, that was an incredibly popular, powerful, influential and fairly cutting edge show. They were the first to really tackle the drama of that age group -- drugs, sex, etc., on network televison.

I actually just watched him on Oz last week.

He also had by all reports the anti-Hollywood persona and was very well-liked.

One of the celeb tweets today said that no matter who else was in the building, he was always the coolest guy in the room.

Gone way too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      He was far and away the best actor on 90210. Not even close. Like it or not, that was an incredibly popular, powerful, influential and fairly cutting edge show. They were the first to really tackle the drama of that age group -- drugs, sex, etc., on network televison.

I actually just watched him on Oz last week.

He also had by all reports the anti-Hollywood persona and was very well-liked.

One of the celeb tweets today said that no matter who else was in the building, he was always the coolest guy in the room.

Gone way too soon.
      I agree that he really did have some acting chops about him. I think the whole Dylan loves Antonia Marchette but wants to kill her father for killing his father and her father wants to kill him was the perfect chance for him to display his vast abilities as an actor. Truly unforgettable bunch of episodes!

I really loved the show and watched it for its entire ten-year run, although I probably should have had my head checked for watching the last several seasons which lacked any of the real substance that the show once had about it. You are correct----90210 did touch a lot of relevant issues that were being experienced by teens and college-aged people at that time. I was an undergrad when it first came on and instantly could relate to it so easily.

Yeah, he seemed to have the rep of being a very down to earth person who never bought into the hype and glitter of Hollywood nor his own stardom. I believe that he grew up in small town Ohio--- so maybe that helped.

He will be missed!

-

Comment

I have really liked his work on 8 Seconds, Jeremiah, and Riverdale.

Luke will be missed.

Comment

Comment

Johnny Mox stole the show.

Comment

Yes. My wife grew up without cable and out of reach for a Fox channel so 90210 was foreign to her but she still knew about it because it was a cultural phenomenon for teens. I remember vividly early in the show's run when a main character was killed by suicide. That wasn't a thing back then and certainly wasn't the norm given the show's target demographic (but if you think about it - classic Aaron Spelling). We talked yesterday about how Luke Perry basically brought long sideburns back...and the show essentially set the men's fashion standard of the 90s: swoopy hair, long sideburns & full goatee, baggy shirt partially unbuttoned with a t-shirt underneath. I remember being 12 and even though I didn't watch the show saw Jason Priestley's character as what a guy should look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                Yes. My wife grew up without cable and out of reach for a Fox channel so 90210 was foreign to her but she still knew about it because it was a cultural phenomenon for teens. I remember vividly early in the show's run when a main character was killed by suicide. That wasn't a thing back then and certainly wasn't the norm given the show's target demographic (but if you think about it - classic Aaron Spelling). We talked yesterday about how Luke Perry basically brought long sideburns back...and the show essentially set the men's fashion standard of the 90s: swoopy hair, long sideburns & full goatee, baggy shirt partially unbuttoned with a t-shirt underneath. I remember being 12 and even though I didn't watch the show saw Jason Priestley's character as what a guy should look like.
                I believe that it was an accidental shooting rather than a suicide IIRC. I believe the episode was entitled "The Next 50 Years" and it was a very strong one from the fall of 1991.

I recall growing the Dylan and Brandon sideburns while an undergrad at IUP. It certainly became a popular look at the time.

Jason Priestly is certainly a worthy mention as it was him and Luke Perry who really powered this show and launched it into the stratosphere. As I recall it--- the first season of 1990-91 the ratings were very so-so and I believe it was on the bubble of whether or not it would return. Fox tried a new concept and ran a half-dozen or so summer episodes and the show just exploded in popularity overnight. It was really crazy. A total popular culture phenomenon was born. It was like the Beatles coming to America again.

-

Comment

A total popular culture phenomenon was born. It was like the Beatles coming to America again.
                  -
                  I was watching when the Beatles came to America but I never watched one episode of Zip Code 90210 When I was in high school we watched Welcome Back Kotter.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                    I was watching when the Beatles came to America but I never watched one episode of Zip Code 90210 When I was in high school we watched Welcome Back Kotter.
                    Same here. Never seen the show. I watched Room 222 and a show on 1313 Mockingbird Lane called The Munsters.

Comment

I believe that it was an accidental shooting rather than a suicide IIRC. I believe the episode was entitled "The Next 50 Years" and it was a very strong one from the fall of 1991.

I recall growing the Dylan and Brandon sideburns while an undergrad at IUP. It certainly became a popular look at the time.

Jason Priestly is certainly a worthy mention as it was him and Luke Perry who really powered this show and launched it into the stratosphere. As I recall it--- the first season of 1990-91 the ratings were very so-so and I believe it was on the bubble of whether or not it would return. Fox tried a new concept and ran a half-dozen or so summer episodes and the show just exploded in popularity overnight. It was really crazy. A total popular culture phenomenon was born. It was like the Beatles coming to America again.

-
                      The ladies didn't hurt, either. Lol.

Comment

The ladies didn't hurt, either. Lol.
                        Yeah, Jennie Garth as Kelly Taylor=Hubba!

I think I have the first couple of seasons of 90210 on DVD. The problem with the DVDs of the show is that they did not include the original music on them since they were too cheap to buy the rights to it. It kind of really takes away from some powerful scenes in places.

Did any of you old Dinosaurs watch The Big Valley back in the day. My fave western by a country mile.

-

Comment

Yeah, Jennie Garth as Kelly Taylor=Hubba!

I think I have the first couple of seasons of 90210 on DVD. The problem with the DVDs of the show is that they did not include the original music on them since they were too cheap to buy the rights to it. It kind of really takes away from some powerful scenes in places.

Did any of you old Dinosaurs watch The Big Valley back in the day. My fave western by a country mile.

-
                          A lot of big bands in the 90s got their huge break on the show.

Comment

A lot of big bands in the 90s got their huge break on the show.
                            I believe it was the season one episode entitled "Spring Dance" that the Pittsburgh area band the Rave-Ups were prominently featured. Do you recall them at all?

Another Pittsburgh-90210 connection is the younger hit man from the aforementioned "One Wedding and a Funeral" ep actually graduated from a Pittsburgh area high school. I had a chance years back to actually talk to him via email. He was a really cool, bright and engaging dude who provided some great insights on that time in the show. I'm not even sure I recall his name now----Chris Durmick??? Wish I still had those emails now that I am thinking about the show again. I think he may have gone to Chartiers Valley but that would be just a guess at this point in time. I recall that he was still a huge Steelers fan even though he was out on the left coast. I don't think he ever made it to being a big star or anything to the best of my knowledge. Maybe I'll look him up here now that I'm thinking about it.

-

Comment

90210 was a must see TV show back then. Don't know too many that didn't watch it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X