• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	Steelers.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	563977
    ??1969 to 1979 draft picks as Steelers built 4x Super bowl teams. The NA count shows drafts positions traded. Interesting to see only 4 over those 11 years.

Comment

So, as someone who failed to take an IUP accounting degree----do these numbers support or disavow what I was saying? Can you give the non-statistical laymen crowd here some explanation? LOL.

It is also interesting to note (at least just off the top of my head) that the Stillers have only drafted three QBs in the first round in the past 50 years (Bradshaw, Mark Malone, Big Ben) and have not drafted an OT in the first round since 1996 (Jamain Stephens).

Comment

Well since the ice and snow washed out my crick fishing lest I take another February plunge from the slippery banks I got a little board. I really don't know if those numbers are relevant in the free agency area. But when the Steelers were rebuilding and then maintaining their 70s dominance, it shows what they drafted. The biggest interesting point is that they kept all but 4 draft picks in the those 11 years which means building through the draft worked back then and I would think it would work now.

In the first 4 rounds the most positions they drafted where DB, RB, LB, and WR.
        The majority of their guard and tackles where drafted mid rounds.
        They took they majority of their centers in rounds 2-4.
        DBs, RBs, and WRs made up half of their 1st round picks over those years.
        Over those 11 years they drafted 31 DBs, 30 LBs, 26 RBs, and 25 WRs. Remember Noll would draft the best available athletes after position needs where met.

And it's always good to keep the spreadsheet skills sharp in case a light part time comes my way.

Comment

Talks emerging of Ben taking a 'Bobby Bonilla' type deal for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Talks emerging of Ben taking a 'Bobby Bonilla' type deal for next season.
            For us non-baseball crowd what exactly is a Bobby Bonilla type deal?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
              Well since the ice and snow washed out my crick fishing lest I take another February plunge from the slippery banks I got a little board. I really don't know if those numbers are relevant in the free agency area. But when the Steelers were rebuilding and then maintaining their 70s dominance, it shows what they drafted. The biggest interesting point is that they kept all but 4 draft picks in the those 11 years which means building through the draft worked back then and I would think it would work now.

Over those 11 years they drafted 31 DBs, 30 LBs, 26 RBs, and 25 WRs. Remember Noll would draft the best available athletes after position needs where met.

And it's always good to keep the spreadsheet skills sharp in case a light part time comes my way.
              The only good thing about taking the plunge into a winter crick is that if you were not fully awake---you are immediately after the icy dip. I took an unplanned January plunge back in '03 while hiking and then had to walk several miles back home. The only good thing about it is that I was not cold at all as I was completely numb.

You do present an interesting model here. I think having the years listed would have been an added plus. The Stillers really did mine some gold in their drafts in the very late 60s and early 70s. A lot of that can be attributed to Bill Nunn who will of course be taking his rightful place in the Hall of Fame this summer. He was well versed with many obscure black colleges and had his own way of evaluating NFL caliber talent---most of which had nothing to do with actual football things done on the field.

The Stillers draft class of 1974 will always be the gold standard of any draft class. Crazy talent there. Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth, Mike Webster, and Donnie Shell added as an UFA all HOFers. Just plain nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

For us non-baseball crowd what exactly is a Bobby Bonilla type deal?
                The Mets had him for another year locked in at a huge number. But, they wanted rid of him. So, they reached a deal to buy his contract out at like $1.2m every July 4 for the next 20-some years.

Comment

The Mets had him for another year locked in at a huge number. But, they wanted rid of him. So, they reached a deal to buy his contract out at like $1.2m every July 4 for the next 20-some years.
                  Sounds like grounds for a Happy Independence Day there!

Can you do stuff like that in the NFL with the cap? I have no idea on that.

As i understand it Big Ben's cap hit at present for this season is app. $41 million. If they cut him it is app. $22 million.

If they have him sign for an additional $1 mil that could average his salary to just over $20 million over the next two years which would be much more managable. But again, i have no real idea how the cap works. I'm sure it is quite complicated.

Comment

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/bobb...lucrative.html

Comment

That's just plain nucking futs there!

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

That's just plain nucking futs there!
                        I never realized that the Bernie Madoff scandal was at the center of it. I just assumed it was a really stupid way to save money in the short term.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post

Of course the X factor back then compared to today was there was less teams and way more rounds. The days of finding those diamonds in the rough (as the Yinzers so often did back then) ... still exist to a degree but not like back then. Scouting is insanely involved today. I remember the story about when they took Mean Joe ... half the NFL teams had never heard of him.

That said, if you put Jack Lambert in a draft with today's 'over analysis' ... he probably wouldn't even get drafted. He'd be called too frail with his skinny frame or moved to safety.

Comment

Of course the X factor back then compared to today was there was less teams and way more rounds. The days of finding those diamonds in the rough (as the Yinzers so often did back then) ... still exist to a degree but not like back then. Scouting is insanely involved today. I remember the story about when they took Mean Joe ... half the NFL teams had never heard of him.

That said, if you put Jack Lambert in a draft with today's 'over analysis' ... he probably wouldn't even get drafted. He'd be called too frail with his skinny frame or moved to safety.
                            Also, there's a reason the Steelers did so well drafting from relatively unknown schools - tons of good black players were going to HBCUs.

Comment

The Yinzers trading up to get Mac Jones gaining major steam in the media.

I saw that recently disgruntled QB Russell Wilson also wants traded. Seattle said 'serious' talks would start at (3) No. 1 picks.

That's like the tag for Bo Callhan in Draft Day.

Comment

The Yinzers trading up to get Mac Jones gaining major steam in the media.

I saw that recently disgruntled QB Russell Wilson also wants traded. Seattle said 'serious' talks would start at (3) No. 1 picks.

That's like the tag for Bo Callhan in Draft Day.
                                I'm glad that Big Ben is coming back.

I do like Mac Jones. He may fit well into Pittsburgh. But his stock is likely rising by the minute. Probably will be a top 15 pick.

If I am the Stillers I am going LB in the first round. That is the point in the season when the wheels came off last season when they ran out of them. This draft is absolutley loaded with some very high quality LBs.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X