Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSAC baseball in Johnstown

If anyone is in the general vicinity of Johnstown and enjoys good baseball, the PSAC tournament is at Point Stadium today through Saturday (or Sunday, if it goes 15 games). I know college baseball is an afterthought in Pennsylvania, but we have a very strong league and the weather seems like it should be decent most days.

So far, West Chester walked off Cal in 10 innings and Gannon walked off East Stroudsburg. It doesn't get much better than that.

Originally posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    If anyone is in the general vicinity of Johnstown and enjoys good baseball, the PSAC tournament is at Point Stadium today through Saturday (or Sunday, if it goes 15 games). I know college baseball is an afterthought in Pennsylvania, but we have a very strong league and the weather seems like it should be decent most days.

So far, West Chester walked off Cal in 10 innings and Gannon walked off East Stroudsburg. It doesn't get much better than that.

Comment

Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
      That would be a fun watch. I love watching games at Point Stadium.
      I hear you. We were terrible this year (last place in the West by almost an entire weekend :bulgy-eyes:), so I don't either. But I enjoy following it from afar. I live too far away to get out there for any games, but if I were closer I'd be there for as many as possible with or without The Rock playing.

Comment

The 3rd game wasn't as entertaining with Bloomsburg blanking Mercyhurst, 12-0, in seven innings.

Comment

I hear you. We were terrible this year (last place in the West by almost an entire weekend :bulgy-eyes:), so I don't either. But I enjoy following it from afar. I live too far away to get out there for any games, but if I were closer I'd be there for as many as possible with or without The Rock playing.
          What's up with that? Doesn't SRU put some coin in baseball? IUP's glorified intramural team even took 3 of 4 off SRU.

Comment

Tough loss to a good Gannon team, hopefully we can snag a victory against Cal. It's been a good season for us, would be a shame if we don't come out of it with at least one postseason win.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              What's up with that? Doesn't SRU put some coin in baseball? IUP's glorified intramural team even took 3 of 4 off SRU.
              I really don't know. As someone who donates to that program, I'm not necessarily happy about it. Missing the PSAC tournament will happen from time to time. As good as Mercyhurst and Seton Hill always are plus Gannon's rise (if they sustain this is still TBD, IMO) that really only leaves one spot open. But not winning a single series in the West and finishing in last place simply shouldn't happen. Jeff Messer is a legend and I have faith he'll get the program back on track. Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                Tough loss to a good Gannon team, hopefully we can snag a victory against Cal. It's been a good season for us, would be a shame if we don't come out of it with at least one postseason win.
                This tournament can be brutal both for teams trying to play their way into regionals and those trying to host regionals. Mercyhurst probably lost its shot to host yesterday. But I think the Lakers would happily accept Gannon as the host (although the Atlantic Regional won't be in Erie as the SeaWolves are home. Probably another Erie host site in New York)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                    Probably the best PSAC baseball player to come through in recent years was Dan Altavilla. He pitched at Mercyhurst

The Lakers have an unbelievable program. Their first season in the PSAC for baseball was 2009. This spring was only the third time they didn't win the West outright or share of piece of it. Surprisingly, they went 0-2 in Johnstown this week and, despite being in the national rankings for most (if not all) of this season, could miss next week's regionals.

Comment

Millersville, top-ranked in the region, dropped two on Friday, which is a real stunner. Blew a seven-run lead in the late game against Cal as the bullpen collapsed. The Marauders are pretty much a lock to be in the regional tournament, though, so their season isn't over. They have a number of possible draft picks -- Ps Eli Nabholz, Cordell Shannon and Tyler Yankosky, and OF Cole Friese. Nabholz is the nephew of former major-league P Chris; Shannon's dad Bobby was one of the stars of the Shippensburg Little League team that won the 1990 U.S. championship; Friese's dad Dave was one of the best running backs in PSAC history with Shippensburg in the early '80s.

They are a fun watch; lots of dynamic players.

West Chester meets Bloomsburg this morning in the winner's bracket game, the victor going straight into the championship round. The loser joins Seton Hill and Cal to fight it out for the other title berth.

Mercyhurst was a two-and-out. For a program that flexes its muscles throughout the West regular season, they have a history of struggling in Johnstown. Frankly, the East has been dominant here over the past decade, with West Chester, Millersville and Shippensburg all making the D-II Series in Cary, N.C. in recent years. I think Mercyhurst made it there once, too.

I've had many great days at The Point with this tournament over the past two decades. A no-go this year; Ship had its worst season in a while. But the level of baseball is very high, and a game at The Point is always unique. The Conemaugh River runs right along the stadium behind first base, and the game sometimes revolves around the short (290') porch in left field.
                      Last edited by jrshooter; 05-11-2019, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Was visiting my Aunt several years ago in Jtown & we went up to the the top of the Incline. Had my good binocs & it was cool watching some of a game at Point stadium from that perspective.

Have always thought after that it would be good to try to catch a game or tournament at that stadium.

Comment

Bloom beat West Chester 14-3 in a walk-off 7th inning victory to reach the Championship game, which they haven't won since 1965. In three games thus far, Bloom won by combined score of 33-4.

Comment

Saw Bloom in a home doubleheader last month. Best rotation they've had in a while. They've really shuffled their batting order since then; the guys who were hitting #1 and #3 are now at #8 and #9.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                              Millersville, top-ranked in the region, dropped two on Friday, which is a real stunner. Blew a seven-run lead in the late game against Cal as the bullpen collapsed. The Marauders are pretty much a lock to be in the regional tournament, though, so their season isn't over. They have a number of possible draft picks -- Ps Eli Nabholz, Cordell Shannon and Tyler Yankosky, and OF Cole Friese. Nabholz is the nephew of former major-league P Chris; Shannon's dad Bobby was one of the stars of the Shippensburg Little League team that won the 1990 U.S. championship; Friese's dad Dave was one of the best running backs in PSAC history with Shippensburg in the early '80s.

They are a fun watch; lots of dynamic players.

West Chester meets Bloomsburg this morning in the winner's bracket game, the victor going straight into the championship round. The loser joins Seton Hill and Cal to fight it out for the other title berth.

Mercyhurst was a two-and-out. For a program that flexes its muscles throughout the West regular season, they have a history of struggling in Johnstown. Frankly, the East has been dominant here over the past decade, with West Chester, Millersville and Shippensburg all making the D-II Series in Cary, N.C. in recent years. I think Mercyhurst made it there once, too.

I've had many great days at The Point with this tournament over the past two decades. A no-go this year; Ship had its worst season in a while. But the level of baseball is very high, and a game at The Point is always unique. The Conemaugh River runs right along the stadium behind first base, and the game sometimes revolves around the short (290') porch in left field.
                              The East will get even better next year with Shepherd. What a meat-grinder that schedule will be. Yikes

Lakers were in the D-II World Series in 2015 and 2018.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X