Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Psac west - 2019

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
    Not the same thing because African slaves were taken without regard for origin, so there's no way to trace them to anything more specific. You can't describe them as "Nigerian-Americans" unless they immigrated from Nigeria willingly when it was a sovereign country. Either way, it's a bizarre thing to be upset about, why on earth would you be upset that you can't call white people "European Americans"? There's no rule against it, it's just pointless because European countries have such distinct cultures.
    And African countries don't?

Comment

I worked with a white person who immigrated from South Africa and became a citizen. She always and accurately selected "African American" on any documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
        And African countries don't?
        They do, but African slaves were stripped of that culture, so they weren't able to maintain it when they were brought over. Different circumstances from European immigrants who were able to maintain their culture and traditions that they had developed for centuries.

EDIT: I'm not super interested in turning this further off-topic than it already is. This thread should come back to football.

Comment

People, I was just making a comment about SHU based on the reality. Why focus on the use of this term. It is the accepted term. It was populatized by Jesse Jackson in 1988 when he was running for president and it caught on within the heretofore Black community to the point where it became used on official government publications and documents e.g. the census and then moved into the commerical sphere and all aspects of American life. If you must know. Plus, white people are referred to as Caucasians on government documents, a reference to genetic origin. So, come on, Homer 2. I recommend Google to you.

(I will say, though, that with a little imagination you can kind of start to narrow down the true identity of Homer 2.0)
          Last edited by iupgroundhog; 08-13-2019, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
            EDIT: I'm not super interested in turning this further off-topic than it already is. This thread should come back to football.
            Yeah, good luck to ESU this year. Hopefully, things can get turned around. That first game should be interesting, though.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
              Maybe I didn't make myself clear. My point was that the only African-American males enrolled at Seton Hill University are either football or basketball players. You can draw your own conclusions. I am just making a factual observation.

You brought this all up. What conclusions should I draw from this? Should I assume Seton Hill has a football and basketball team as a way of hitting an African American quota on campus? Just say what you're trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                You brought this all up. What conclusions should I draw from this? Should I assume Seton Hill has a football and basketball team as a way of hitting an African American quota on campus? Just say what you're trying to say.
                No I don't think that is the intention but it definitely is serving that purpose. That was my point.

And I think you've been outed.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                  No I don't think that is the intention but it definitely is serving that purpose. That was my point.

And I think you've been outed.
                  Speak in English there, boss.

Comment

Most smaller schools have football to boost male enrollment especially African American male enrollment. That shouldn't be a secret.

Smaller schools wishing to transition from majority women to coed have built their plan on the back of athletics. That's not a secret either.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                      Most smaller schools have football to boost male enrollment especially African American male enrollment. That shouldn't be a secret.

Smaller schools wishing to transition from majority women to coed have built their plan on the back of athletics. That's not a secret either.
                      In 2008, six years after going coed, SHU broke down 1115 women to 550 men. 2019 stats show 1073 women to 603 men. Whatever method they're using, it seems to be coming up short both in total enrollment and W/M ratio. In fact, from the outside, it would appear that they're simply not trying. If they're making a good faith effort, they really should question their process.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                        In 2008, six years after going coed, SHU broke down 1115 women to 550 men. 2019 stats show 1073 women to 603 men. Whatever method they're using, it seems to be coming up short both in total enrollment and W/M ratio. In fact, from the outside, it would appear that they're simply not trying. If they're making a good faith effort, they really should question their process.

Comment

They should definitely take the best according to the school standard. But you can also make a concerted effort to speak to young men who are highly qualified AND top notch athletes. They made the decision to go coed in order to expand the enrollment. If they want to be competitive on say the MERCYHURST or GANNON level, they'll have to go the extra mile in pumping the interest of academically qualified, athletic young men to fill their rosters. What lesson is being taught by having a football program going 26-96. They have the resources to correct the problem, if they have the will.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                            They should definitely take the best according to the school standard. But you can also make a concerted effort to speak to young men who are highly qualified AND top notch athletes. They made the decision to go coed in order to expand the enrollment. If they want to be competitive on say the MERCYHURST or GANNON level, they'll have to go the extra mile in pumping the interest of academically qualified, athletic young men to fill their rosters. What lesson is being taught by having a football program going 26-96. They have the resources to correct the problem, if they have the will.

Comment

We basically agree that SHU is using football as a means to increase enrollment. What I'm saying is that, so far, that plan has not worked. Their enrollment is static for 12 years and their football team stinks. Given the advantages of being a private school it seems to me that they could do much better. Not that I really want another competitive program in the West.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                                We basically agree that SHU is using football as a means to increase enrollment. What I'm saying is that, so far, that plan has not worked. Their enrollment is static for 12 years and their football team stinks. Given the advantages of being a private school it seems to me that they could do much better. Not that I really want another competitive program in the West.
                                Keep in mind many schools would be elated to have their enrollment static for the past 12 years. Most of our members are in Titanic mode.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X