X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erie rag preview:

https://www.goerie.com/story/sports/...2/65416931007/

Comment

Gurman has signed a PS contract with the Raiders.

Comment

Tough loss for Edinboro on their second long road trip of season in first 2 games but good learning experience for very young team. The score didn't indicate how much the Boro fought and knocked on the door in several situations. You can't be competitive with a great team like Shepherd turning the ball over 5 times. Glass half full the Fighting Scots were inside the Red Zone 6 times (5 of those inside the 10) and came away with 0 points on those trips including 2 missed short FGs. The early 7 points they scored was on a big play by Ike Bernard to Mike Watkins. With only 3 or 4 Junior/Senior starters and the rest Sophomores and Freshman, the future is bright for Edinboro. They were able to rattle Bagent a little bit in the game getting INT on first drive and holding him to a rare under 200 yd game but couldn't capitalize on red zone opportunities especially after losing Starting RB Anfernee Williams in 1st half to shoulder injury and gave up too many big runs to the outside to Ronnie Brown Kudos to him. No crazy expectations this year but I feel they will be a tough out all year in the PSAC and once they tighten up the "young" mistakes and finish drives they will be a problem! Go Boro!

Comment

Edinboro is in a tough situation this year and if they have a team in a couple of years. They have a solid QB and receivers but outside of that not much. Lost most of the O line due to graduation and transfers … lost back up RB who was a beast due to grades. Lost the entire starting D line, LB who was their best player to transfer and 3of 4 starters in secondary. Being they beat a team 10-7 in game 1 but that team was 1-20 the last 2 years. The defense gave up almost 600 yards this week and 400 on the ground ! Not looking good anytime soon.

Comment

The team's not going anywhere. It brings in almost $1 million in net revenue after expenses. For a school that's broke, you don't do that. Any speculation is careless.

But they do need to find someone to fund a replacement of that turf before someone gets hurt. Can you imagine what would happen if Prep played a playoff game there and one of their precious FBS recruits blew out his knee on an exposed turf seam?
            Last edited by Fightingscot82; 09-12-2022, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
              The team's not going anywhere. It brings in almost $1 million in net revenue after expenses. For a school that's broke, you don't do that. Any speculation is careless.

But they do need to find someone to fund a replacement of that turf before someone gets hurt. Can you imagine what would happen in Prep played a playoff game there and one of their precious FBS recruits blew out his knee on an exposed turf seam?
              Can they use some of the $1 million to replace the turf? Bloom is already hurting with injuries.

Comment

But they do need to find someone to fund a replacement of that turf before someone gets hurt. Can you imagine what would happen in Prep played a playoff game there and one of their precious FBS recruits blew out his knee on an exposed turf seam?
                Wow. Don't they have to do safety inspections on it?

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg1 View Post
                  Edinboro is in a tough situation this year and if they have a team in a couple of years. They have a solid QB and receivers but outside of that not much. Lost most of the O line due to graduation and transfers … lost back up RB who was a beast due to grades. Lost the entire starting D line, LB who was their best player to transfer and 3of 4 starters in secondary. Being they beat a team 10-7 in game 1 but that team was 1-20 the last 2 years. The defense gave up almost 600 yards this week and 400 on the ground ! Not looking good anytime soon.
                  Well, Shepherd's offense is going to smoke just about every team they play. So, that's probably a tough comparison. If they stay healthy, there probably aren't any defenses in SR1 that can handle them.

Nulph just can't have like a 2-8 season. In this day and age, when that happens, all his best players will be on the Transfer Portal Express come early December.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, Shepherd's offense is going to smoke just about every team they play. So, that's probably a tough comparison. If they stay healthy, there probably aren't any defenses in SR1 that can handle them.

Nulph just can't have like a 2-8 season. In this day and age, when that happens, all his best players will be on the Transfer Portal Express come early December.
                    Shepherd is their own worst enemy from what I can tell on offense. The offense is truly loaded and they can do whatever they want via run or pass for the most part. Edinboro did a great job tackling and defending the perimeter... unfortunately Shepherd can just run it too with the most explosive player in the region with Ronnie Brown. If the Rams would just let the game flow come to them rather than forcing the pass at times, they would be really difficult to do anything with on offense. They fall in love with the #'s in the passing game, and it seems they completely forget that Ronnie Brown is averaging over 10 yards a carry over a 17 game sample size.

Edinboro moved the ball well, they have some young talent that hopefully will serve them well as they get experience.

Comment

I haven't been on in forever...but two of my buddies that played there have kids that are being recruited (at least according to Twitter...could be BS) by what seems like every school BUT Edinboro!?!?!?! What is the plan there? How does this happen?

One is Smitty's kid and the other one is Crousey. Any insight?

Comment

Originally posted by BoroBacker View Post
                        I haven't been on in forever...but two of my buddies that played there have kids that are being recruited (at least according to Twitter...could be BS) by what seems like every school BUT Edinboro!?!?!?! What is the plan there? How does this happen?

One is Smitty's kid and the other one is Crousey. Any insight?
                        I know both guys and I follow Smitty's son. He has two MAC offers. The kid is one of the best long snappers in the country so they might assume he's out of their league. I'd have a hard time justifying him going to Edinboro when he could go to Akron or Buffalo for free. Honestly, its probably that they're lost in the thousands of WPIAL football players if they haven't been at the same camps as the coaches. If the coaches don't recognize the names of the 2000s teams, they won't recognize their kids' names. Edinboro also doesn't hold as many camps as they used to in the 80s and 90s when alumni would surely send their kids to campus.*

Nulph seems like a genuinely thoughtful guy and I assume if someone sees these posts on here that they'll find a way to make contact.

*One thing I've learned in my conversations with former players is that they don't know where the scholarship money comes from. There's only so much go around. I believe Edinboro has about 12.5 equivalencies. So guys get offended when Edinboro doesn't offer their kid or their player much. Or they assume the scholarship money comes from the general university budget so the AD or President must not value football. And consistent with the cliche about complaining alumni, they usually don't donate or attend games.
                        Last edited by Fightingscot82; 09-13-2022, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Where are you getting that figure? Using the data reported to the DOE(Equity in Athletics database) in 2019, the football program's REVENUE was only $878k. Are there large football donations/endowments that aren't in those figures?

Comment

Originally posted by Pine Ridge View Post

Where are you getting that figure? Using the data reported to the DOE(Equity in Athletics database) in 2019, the football program's REVENUE was only $878k. Are there large football donations/endowments that aren't in those figures?
                            This is from an ROI calculation the university did a few years ago that has made its rounds with alumni. Operating on the assumption that the students are only attending because of football, they weigh program expenses against annual tuition revenue from the players. So its tuition revenue vs expenses not donation revenue. Hopefully that makes sense.

This ROI calculation is common in private D3 schools. Tuition revenue vs expenses is almost always very positive with the exception of high-cost, small roster sports like basketball, and why a lot of private schools have so many more sports than PASSHE. There's even a book about it that follows this method being used at Allegheny, Washington & Jefferson, and Adrian.

Comment

For 21-22, the number I saw for Edinboro was 8.83 equivalencies.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
                                For 21-22, the number I saw for Edinboro was 8.83 equivalencies.
                                YIKES

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X