Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiting 2024

Some things I've noticed by following the recruiting cycle on Elon's Bonfire of Billions:
    • Already mentioned but the days of the FBS to D2 transfers are probably gone and unexpectedly emerging is the new D2 to FBS transfer days.
    • Offers are all over the map. D3 schools are offering EVERYBODY because there is no real resource limit, especially if they're an enrollment challenged school. There are kids with D2 and D3 offers, some FCS PWO offers, then suddenly a MAC full scholarship offer.
    • The days of the "mid-year transfer list" may be over.
    • The change in calendars plus looser transfer rules have really extended the recruiting calendar. We're less than 2 weeks out from NSD and schools - even national contenders - are still offering kids. I imagine kids will get offers up until the 7pm deadline on Feb 5.
    • My personal favorite, kids still don't do enough due diligence to learn how to correctly name or spell the schools offers they're announcing!

Don't post Twitter verbals on here because until paperwork is faxed at 7am on Feb 7th, IUP and Slippery Rock are still able to swoop in and steal your recruits. When classes are indeed announced on the 7th and and 8th, we can post here and discuss.

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Some things I've noticed by following the recruiting cycle on Elon's Bonfire of Billions:
    • Already mentioned but the days of the FBS to D2 transfers are probably gone and unexpectedly emerging is the new D2 to FBS transfer days.
    • Offers are all over the map. D3 schools are offering EVERYBODY because there is no real resource limit, especially if they're an enrollment challenged school. There are kids with D2 and D3 offers, some FCS PWO offers, then suddenly a MAC full scholarship offer.
    • The change in calendars plus looser transfer rules have really extended the recruiting calendar. We're less than 2 weeks out from NSD and schools - even national contenders - are still offering kids. I imagine kids will get offers up until the 7pm deadline on Feb 5.
    • My personal favorite, kids still don't do enough due diligence to learn how to correctly name or spell the schools offers they're announcing!

Don't post Twitter verbals on here because until paperwork is faxed at 7am on Feb 7th, IUP and Slippery Rock are still able to swoop in and steal your recruits. When classes are indeed announced on the 7th and and 8th, we can post here and discuss.
    It's funny you mention the IUP and SRU tactic. They've both been doing that for years. They dangle the carrot but then swoop in late with the actual offer. They've stolen some real gems at the last hour.

BTW, who doesn't like a Tweet saying how blessed the young man is receive an offer from The College of Edinboro or The University of IUP.

I've seen quite a few of the "blessed to commit" Tweets but as you said they are meaningless until about 9am on Groundhog's Day.

About half of those Tweets, of course, will be followed up in 8 months with "after careful consideration and talking with my family, I've entered the transfer portal."

James Franklin recently gave a very candid interview regarding the risks and annoyances of recruiting high school players.

Comment

I think at this point, college coaches are spending just about as much time, effort, and energy in recruiting players that are already on their roster. Kids love to be chased, and TwiXXer allows them a platform to be 'humbled and blessed'. I know of two FB players on different teams that went into the portal (Player 1 went in, and Player 2 went in b/c they were HS teammates and friends...and player 2 thought he was better than Player 1)...ironically, they each were humbled and blessed to be getting an offer from the other's school. It's like a dog chasing their tail.

In discussing with my family and shaman, I've decided to enter the transfer portal..."RESPECT my decision!"

Comment

Originally posted by RockPride View Post
        I think at this point, college coaches are spending just about as much time, effort, and energy in recruiting players that are already on their roster. Kids love to be chased, and TwiXXer allows them a platform to be 'humbled and blessed'. I know of two FB players on different teams that went into the portal (Player 1 went in, and Player 2 went in b/c they were HS teammates and friends...and player 2 thought he was better than Player 1)...ironically, they each were humbled and blessed to be getting an offer from the other's school. It's like a dog chasing their tail.

In discussing with my family and shaman, I've decided to enter the transfer portal..."RESPECT my decision!"
        💯

Let's work

Comment

We might still see the occasional FBS to D2 transfer. Biggest difference between now and the past is that it’s no longer about rebuilding image/grades to transfer back up after a year but usually a permanent drop to fit a guy’s true talent level. Turns out that judging how good HS players are and/or might become is an inexact science.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

We might still see the occasional FBS to D2 transfer. Biggest difference between now and the past is that it’s no longer about rebuilding image/grades to transfer back up after a year but usually a permanent drop to fit a guy’s true talent level. Turns out that judging how good HS players are and/or might become is an inexact science.
            Yeah I agree we'll still see them but they'll likely be a grad transfer trying to get a discounted grad degree or just trying to extend their playing career one more season.

Comment

I was told by a 5A coach in Allegheny County that SRU contacted them in December and told them they will not be recruiting HS kids this year. Walk ons only. We shall see on Groundhog Day how true the statement is.

Comment

Slippery Rock just got commitment from Davion Daniels. 6ft Safety from Bowling Green University with 1 year of eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Iupgh View Post
                  I was told by a 5A coach in Allegheny County that SRU contacted them in December and told them they will not be recruiting HS kids this year. Walk ons only. We shall see on Groundhog Day how true the statement is.
                  I've heard that story before.

Comment

Great supply and demand tactic for the final rush push.

They are full of you know what.

Comment

Originally posted by Football Fan View Post
                      Slippery Rock just got commitment from Davion Daniels. 6ft Safety from Bowling Green University with 1 year of eligibility.
                      Didn't you read the rules?!?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's funny you mention the IUP and SRU tactic. They've both been doing that for years. They dangle the carrot but then swoop in late with the actual offer. They've stolen some real gems at the last hour.

BTW, who doesn't like a Tweet saying how blessed the young man is receive an offer from The College of Edinboro or The University of IUP.

I've seen quite a few of the "blessed to commit" Tweets but as you said they are meaningless until about 9am on Groundhog's Day.

About half of those Tweets, of course, will be followed up in 8 months with "after careful consideration and talking with my family, I've entered the transfer portal."

James Franklin recently gave a very candid interview regarding the risks and annoyances of recruiting high school players.
                        My favorite of all time was Terrelle Pryor. When he announced his commitment to OSU, he was at the table and said he was going to be playing the "The University of Ohio State." I bet you that Buckeye Nation threw up when he said that.

Comment

Originally posted by Football Fan View Post
                          Looks like he did not play alot in his three years, his tackles totals would suggest he may have been a special teams guy there. THE ROCK only lost two starters on D, so absence other unknown departures they should be okay on that side of the ball; have 2 DB who gathered alot of post season accolades (Faulkner & Stokes)

Comment

Typically Freshmen do not get alot of money at this level, probably even less now in the portal era, would rather get in a bidding war for a freshmen or a transfer guy.?

Shamar Greene was a walk-on.

Last year there were 17 high schoolers on signing day. Last year 3 true freshmen played in every game,

Groundhog day is Feb 2 (probably last year , next year probably flipping a coin!!)

Signing day is Feb 7

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

My favorite of all time was Terrelle Pryor. When he announced his commitment to OSU, he was at the table and said he was going to be playing the "The University of Ohio State." I bet you that Buckeye Nation threw up when he said that.
                              I once heard a player talk about his upcoming game against The University of the Navy

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X