Announcement

Collapse

Avatars

We have been trying to update avatars. For some reason, when you are uploading them they are being sized to 50x50 when they should be 80x80. Our administrators are making changes as we come across them.
See more
See less

Time For Change at Chowan?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Time For Change at Chowan?

    Is it time? Only a couple of winning seasons in many years. The program is built around the offense, but it hurts the defense. And, they don't score enough to outscore the opponents they need to beat with the offensive style.

  • #2
    I agree. My frustration for me is the recycling of these old coaches between D2 programs. I am sure there is some new blood out there in the HS, JuCo, D3 or NAIA looking for change and opportunity to improve a program. Chowan and WSSU are in the same boat. Development of players.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, this is a tough one for Chowan this year. I thought this would be the year they finally got over that 6-4 hump and could compete for the division. They have a good offense, and have had decent offenses in the past, but you are right for some reason they can't field a even half way respectable D.

      If this season completely implodes then Place should be on the hot seat. But if they win against Lincoln and ECSU, and pick up a win or two against the combo of Bowie/VSU/VUU then there is something to salvage going into the offseason. However, it might be time to make some changes to the defensive coaching staff.

      Comment


      • #4
        Chowan does have a couple of things working against them:

        Every year they seem to get bitten hard by the injury bug on defense. Two years ago it was Nate Wyche, who I thought was going to win the CIAA defensive player of the year. Last year they lost Dre Terry (who ultimately transferred to East Carolina after the season ended). They have alot of new faces on defense.

        Also, injuries have hit on the offense too: the top two RBs (Freeman and Wethington) are out because of injuries. Plus, They have new faces at WR, and they need an upgrade in that area if they want to get back to where they were last year.

        In short - this seems like a bit of a rebuilding year for Chowan, and thats not uncommon for a team who has alot of success in one year at the D2 level.

        Just food for thought.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
          Yeah, this is a tough one for Chowan this year. I thought this would be the year they finally got over that 6-4 hump and could compete for the division. They have a good offense, and have had decent offenses in the past, but you are right for some reason they can't field a even half way respectable D.

          If this season completely implodes then Place should be on the hot seat. But if they win against Lincoln and ECSU, and pick up a win or two against the combo of Bowie/VSU/VUU then there is something to salvage going into the offseason. However, it might be time to make some changes to the defensive coaching staff.
          Chowan has Co-DCs this year, as their former DC went to FCS Maine.

          Comment


          • #6
            Regardless of the injuries etc., the body of work over the years is the point. With Barton starting football, it will get even more competitive in the state of North Carolina for recruits.

            Comment


            • #7
              I agree with what has been said. His body of work has been overall mediocre. We have to consider if the university is ok with that. If so, nothing will change. Honestly, if they are fine with that why should we care. This is the first real post I have seen by anyone raising any questions about their program.

              Comment


              • #8
                OGram, Since this is the first post of it's kind, it kind of shows you the level of mediocrity accepted about Chowan throughout the CIAA. The folks at Winston-Salem would not stand for it. That's for sure.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Dirty, I have to agree with you.....but WSSU has its own [email protected]#@ going on right now as well.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ouch! It starts with Defense. But, your offense has to help the defense.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      WOW!! Do you think that some coaches read D2 Football postings?

                      https://onnidan.com/prime-sports/foo...form=hootsuite

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by callen2525 View Post
                        WOW!! Do you think that some coaches read D2 Football postings?

                        https://onnidan.com/prime-sports/foo...form=hootsuite
                        I guess this answered Dirty Harry's question, and it looks like someone at Chowan has got tired of the results from the football team.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Very Interesting. Chowan needs a coach who has proven they can win against CIAA competition, and knows Virginia, North Carolina, recruiting base. And, likely someone who has proven they can build a defense.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post
                            Very Interesting. Chowan needs a coach who has proven they can win against CIAA competition, and knows Virginia, North Carolina, recruiting base. And, likely someone who has proven they can build a defense.
                            Kienus Boulware, come on down!

                            Comment

                            Ad3

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X