Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FSU's Chancellor James Anderson is stepping down.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FSU's Chancellor James Anderson is stepping down.

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
    Only thing that has been proven is that the NC Promise Program increased student population. Check the academic impact of higher SAT and ACT scores at ECSU and UNCP (around 100 points), it's very clear and they speak for themselves. Again, that's only one year. Great for them, but it also seems like most of the schools saw increases in GPA and SAT averages.

The program is in year 1, we don't even know the retention rate of this freshmen class yet. We're approaching year 2. Approaching the start of year 2; therefore, an entire calendar year hasn't passed. Also, please provide some links for retention rate. They will be a huge major for the success of the program.

We also haven't even gone through a full political cycle to know what the long term congressional support will look like for this program.

State Representatives on both sides (including a majority of Democrats) of the isle recognize the success of the program, and are now in full support. Now in full support doesn't mean much of anything until the colleges need those reimbursements and we have new elected officials who have to determine if the payment is still worth the investment. Especially if out of state students don't stay in NC after graduation.

You talk so much about enrollment numbers of WSSU and FSU, yet you didn't even mention the fact that UNCA and ECU were the only two schools in the system that saw overall enrollment drops. Maybe those two schools can beg their way into the program before they have to close those schools down........... LOL, ECU is down by 1.4%, and who knows, they may have decided to trim down slightly for increased quality;) Right they are down a whole 1.4%, but you are the same person who previously made some big deal about FSU's current enrollment trends. The enrollment that is actually up over the past decade, was up from 2017, and which only saw a whole 52 student incoming freshman reduction. It's funny how you pick and choose when minimal numbers are important.

Again, as someone who claims not to be an alum of either WSSU or FSU what is your "skin in the game"? I have several close family members and friends that have attended (some are now Bronco Alumni) of FSU, and they openly talk about how they wished they had the opportunity that the NC Promise program presently offers. They also talk (out of pride) about how the school could use additional funding, renovating, and updating. Um I know I already showed you how WSSU was getting over $100 million in new construction. I'm fairly certain FSU has also recently received state funds for new construction and renovations. Maybe your friends and family could give, and/or give more, to these respective schools if there is that much concern.

I'm fairly certain ECSU, UNCP, and WCU offer more than enough opportunities for students looking for reduced tuition. Considering that out of the almost 190,000 undergrad students in the UNC System only roughly 9.34% are enrolled in the "Promise Tuition" schools, it seems like some students have other priorities other than just a slightly reduced tuition.
    I'm absolutely positive there are thousands of potential upcoming graduates (many underprivileged) in both the Fayetteville and Triad areas which could really benefit by having the program available at their local Universities, just common sense, especially with the reduced number of available Pell Grants Well good thing those people have 3 schools to pick from, and the last I checked UNCP is right around the corner from Fayetteville. And again, for the Triad I didn't exactly see this program promoted for UNCG or A&T.........

At the point ECSU, UNCP, and WCU are having to turn away masses of qualified students then we can revisit this conversation about other schools offering the program. That may happen for UNCP in the very near future unless new additional dorms and classes are quickly completed (885 additional students and transfers in just the past year), also ECSU is now filling dorms that had vacancies in the past. Good for those schools, and WSSU is also practically out of dorm space (hence our need to continue to build dorms). But as small as ECSU had gotten I think they have space to admit more students, and I highly doubt Pembroke is busting at the seems yet. And since you talk about growth, maybe the local economies can be stimulated with the increased building of apartments and residencies...
    Last edited by LegalRam; 06-20-2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Lots of new things happening down there to accommodate the influx of new students:

https://www.uncp.edu/campus-life/hou...residence-life

https://www.theviewatpembroke.com/photos/

https://www.commonsatpembroke.com/

https://www.pembrokepointeapts.com/

Comment

Legal,

Let's be clear, I really like the four schools that we've been posting about, FSU, WSSU, ECSU and, UNCP. What I didn't like was when the NC Promise Program was initially presented, it was used as a political football and touted as being evil and mean spirited (due to who proposed it) by influential activist which once everything's said and done, people will realize were on the wrong side of history.

Believe me, I'm no fan of student debt, and this program is helping a lot of those who need it most. At this point, I'm really hoping (based on obvious success, and expanded budgets) and lobbying for one of NC's Democratic representatives to propose opening the door again to additional schools. I'm positive that it would be looked at much differently.

Comment

Here's something that might be an indicator of why these three schools were chosen: The universities in the program are all in economically struggling rural areas. They are also all close to the North Carolina border. But I'm almost certain NC Promise isn't only serving North Carolina students. Providing struggling students access to higher education is a worthy goal. But North Carolina taxpayer money should be reserved for North Carolina students.
          Last edited by gsutiger2002; 06-24-2019, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gsutiger2002 View Post
            But I'm almost certain NC Promise isn't only serving North Carolina students. Providing struggling students access to higher education is a worthy goal. But North Carolina taxpayer money should be reserved for North Carolina students.
            Interesting..........So, should it be available for Illegal Aliens?

Comment

Interesting..........So, should it be available for Illegal Aliens?
              So....ummmm.......what part of that statement said that? LOL. (you should try comedy) Bottom line: The numbers you show are inflated because a number of those students are from out of state. So why should NC taxapyers pay for out of state students....that is if you go by the "NC Promise" moniker. But I'm not going to go down this rabbit hole because this is a sports forum and my mind is now in football countdown mode. So this will be the last time I address this subject. But love the debate.

Comment

Originally posted by gsutiger2002 View Post
                So....ummmm.......what part of that statement said that? LOL. (you should try comedy) Bottom line: The numbers you show are inflated because a number of those students are from out of state. So why should NC taxapyers pay for out of state students....that is if you go by the "NC Promise" moniker. But I'm not going to go down this rabbit hole because this is a sports forum and my mind is now in football countdown mode. So this will be the last time I address this subject. But love the debate.
                NC Taxpayers? Simple question, with answer totally avoided, LOL.

Comment

NC Taxpayers? Simple question, with answer totally avoided, LOL.

Comment

Comment

(LOL) What's really funny is the the fact that some people are so afraid, and avoid at all cost answering a simple question that pertains to 2 D2 Football Schools in NC (one a CIAA HBCU School) that participate in the NC Promise Program, which is funded through the taxpayers of North Carolina. I'll ask again, should illegal aliens who are in (or are coming to) NC be eligible for the NC Promise Program, or even a modified tuition-free Program funded by the taxpayers of NC? It's a very simple yes or no question.

Comment

Comment

Just good off season banter and discussions. Let me make the question possibly easier to answer. In your opinion, should undocumented immigrants from Syria, Iran, China, Russia, or Saudi Arabia who are in (or are coming to) NC be eligible for the NC Promise Program, or even a modified tuition-free Program funded by the taxpayers of NC? It's a very simple yes or no question. Second question, would you be willing to have your taxes raised to help make this happen? Another simple yes or no question.

Comment

Just good off season banter and discussions. Let me make the question possibly easier to answer. In your opinion, should undocumented immigrants from Syria, Iran, China, Russia, or Saudi Arabia who are in (or are coming to) NC be eligible for the NC Promise Program, or even a modified tuition-free Program funded by the taxpayers of NC? It's a very simple yes or no question. Second question, would you be willing to have your taxes raised to help make this happen? Another simple yes or no question.
                            The NC Promise program says $2500 for out of state student. The UNC System website doesn't speak to international students, so that seems like an unknown as to whether they are eligible for the NC Promise program. Would you happen to know?

I mean, I dont think its a bad idea for international students to get into the program, but NC already taxes so much through so many avenues. The higher taxes are a bit of a deterrent for me to move back to NC (though some of the ancillary expenses such as way cheaper insurance and cheaper housing may draw me back in under the right circumstances). So, I wouldn't want to be taxed more for that. But, I'm not an NC taxpayer.
                            Last edited by gr8ness97; 06-29-2019, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Fair enough, and well said. I'm fine with the out of state qualified students receiving the NC Promise (funded by NC taxpayers) discounted tuition rate of $2,500. That rate actually helps with overall operation expenses. The NC Promise (funded by NC taxpayers) 'in state' tuition rate of $500 should be for the qualified and verified 'in state resident students' along with active or retired Military.

Comment

I was quite surprised to see the $2,500 amount for out of state students....but lets think about this for a second. The three universities that are in the program are near state lines (as I think someone mentioned). I wonder how many out of state kids are taking advantage of the option.

Now, I think WSSU could have profited from the program, as they do draw from the DC area. In the case of ECSU and UNCP, drawing from the out of state pool could help when it comes to sports recruiting.

BUT

The biggest concern I have with NC Promise is what happens to funding when a recession comes. From an Macroeconomic perspective, it seems like we are in the late stages of an economic expansion, and a state like NC is going to have a hard time raising taxes during an economic downturn. So, what would the state do at that point when it needs to desire to A. cut services or B. borrow to make up the different in the state's budget? Does NC Promise then go away, effectively raising the cost of school on many minority students (the ones who it would hurt the most)? That's the issue I had with the program. WSSU tried to go D1 FCS, and it ended up doing so with bad timing. The 2008-2010 recession and the reduction in funding sent them right now back to D2. I dont want the state pulling the rug from under the schools because of a recession.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X